Is it Possible to Modify a Invacom LNB to an old Chaparal FeedHorn on a big Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
That windstorm that Iceberg was talking about was also experienced up here. On Wednesday night it completely swung around my 12 Foot Mesh Dish which wasn't locked down enough, and for the 5th time in the last 6 months completely knocked my 1 meter Fortec Star Dish and Stab Motor out of alignment.

It almost seems like a lost cause - a make work project trying to keep this Dish on my roof in alignment, while my Bell ExpressVu Fixed Subscription dish hasn't had a problem in 2 years. Not to mention the 100 + trips up and down the ladder which is very hard on the knees.

Re Invacom QPH - 031 LNB for 12 Foot Dish:
If I remove my Fortec Dish off the roof does anyone know of a way I could use it or modify and mount it to work on my 12 foot mesh dish that I am setting up? On the Fortec Dish the Invacom is mounted on a Arm and Black Ring so it would need to be somehow adapted to my existing 6.5 inch Scaler Ring which now has a Chaparal Feedhorn and Tee-Comm LNB on it. See backside pic of Chaparal Feedhorn and 6.5 inch Scalar Ring. Any replies would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00632.JPG
    DSC00632.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 312
Does anyone know if the ADF-120 FeedHorn and Invacom TNF-031 LNB are available in USA or Canada? Saw them on a UK website. BUT it says only for a Prime Focus Dish - would it work on a 12 Foot Mesh Dish?

prime focus dish is one that is setup like your 12 ft big dish

so it should work. , there are or should be cheap versions out there that would work with your dish.

here is one listed at one of out sponsors

problem you will have is adapting a scaler or holder for one of these prime focus lnbf's to your dish. unless it will fit into the scaler you have. another option is to take the scaler you have and buy one of those listed above ( or anyof them with a scaler) and going to a maching shop and welding some holders onto it so it will fit the scaler arms. or making new arms that will fit.

if it was me and i decided not to go the bcs-621 (and widen the scaler a bit ) or go the corotor route. there is something you can do but its more experimenting. you can offset a cheap prime focus lnbf from the main lnbf (tee-comm). several people have done it, but it will take alot of tweaking to get it placed just right. i have a dss lnb on my 7 1/2 fter but signal is low -mid 60's cause it is a offset lnbf. The BSC-621 or the corotor would be easier.

for wind problems , low to the ground is best.... if thats not possible maybe a windbreak

prime focus dish is one that is setup like your 12 ft big dish

so it should work. , there are or should be cheap versions out there that would work with your dish.

here is one listed at one of out sponsors

problem you will have is adapting a scaler or holder for one of these prime focus lnbf's to your dish. unless it will fit into the scaler you have. another option is to take the scaler you have and buy one of those listed above ( or anyof them with a scaler) and going to a maching shop and welding some holders onto it so it will fit the scaler arms. or making new arms that will fit.

if it was me and i decided not to go the bcs-621 (and widen the scaler a bit ) or go the corotor route. there is something you can do but its more experimenting. you can offset a cheap prime focus lnbf from the main lnbf (tee-comm). several people have done it, but it will take alot of tweaking to get it placed just right. i have a dss lnb on my 7 1/2 fter but signal is low -mid 60's cause it is a offset lnbf. The BSC-621 or the corotor would be easier.

for wind problems , low to the ground is best.... if thats not possible maybe a windbreak

Thanks a lot for the reply gabshere. Finally got the ribbon cable installed and buried from the Dish to the house. Have the Actuator Motor mounted & all wired up on the 12 foot Dish. Re your Offsetting suggestion on my Chaparral FeedHorn and Tee-Comm LNB - do you mean just get an LNB ie a Linear one and Tap and drill holes to attach it to the side of my existing old LNB?

For the BSC-621 LNB at a local dealer I found out it is about 1/3 inch too small to fit my Scalar Ring, maybe I could go to a welding shop and inquire about adding an additional inside 1/3 inch ring and have it attached to my Scalar. Also I was told that the Corotor II FeedHorn is exactly 6.5 inches in diameter so it should fit my existing Scalar unit without any modifications. That link you posted is coming up as an application error - at least from here!!

Sorry about that George - that link you posted re Satellite AV is now working fine - the problem was from my end. I like the price, but how would that KU LNBF be installed?

Thanks George, I also found out today that if I remove the 2 allen keys holding in my Tee-Comm LNB leaving only the plate that fits in my Scalar Ring, then I can replace the Tee-Comm with a BSC-621-2 LNB. May try the BSC just to see how well the Dish works before buying more expensive LNB's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)