Is it worth it to get a better indoor antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
Thinking of getting rid of cable tv and using the internet ,fta satellite and OTA antenna for tv viewing.Didn't know how good a indoor antenna would workout so I just bought a real cheep $10 rabbit ears and use somewhat surprised at what I could get here in the sticks.I received a total of 22 DTV stations including all the major networks plus cptv,Ant Tv,Metv,Rtv,Ion,Cozi and a few others.My elevation is one of the highest in the area which could make a difference and that little cheap rabbit ears is picking up metv and rtv (wzme) almost 30 miles away.All stations are solid but need to turn ant alittle for a few for best reception.Dont really feel like putting up a big outdoor antenna at this time due to the fact that in getting good results now.Since it seems to be working out good now!should I get a few more cheap rabbit ears for the other TV's I have or will better indoor antennas make much of a difference.

An outdoor antenna will always outperform an indoor. I get about 30 channels on a good day, and that's with my apartment building blocking the New Haven stations. If you post your tvfool report, we can at least guesstimate which channels should come in.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

heres a report

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 287
So far all the posters like cats, that is the easy comment. How many TVs are you planning to connect? From your FTA listing I assume you are familiar with RF technology, my suggestion is extend the cable from the rabbit ears with a F-81 splice. Move the rabbit ears outside and as high as possible with a clear shot to the WEST/NORTHWEST and rescan the channels. I am expecting you will gain usable channels. The next question is are you interested in the additional channels? Then the next problem will be designing your distribution system or just adding rabbit ears where you need reception.

It looks like you could receive most of the same stations that I do here. I'd say that if you're getting that good of reception off of rabbit ears, then a better antenna would probably pull in more. On rabbit ears here, with no pre-amp or anything, all that comes in watchable is WHPX and WEDN unless I do as Boba suggested and put it way up high. With the HD8200 U and rotor, pre-amp and distribution amp that I have, I get somewhere between forty and fifty channels.

I like Boba's suggestion of moving the rabbit ears outside and as high as possible and rescanning, I'd try that first myself. That may make it so you don't have to turn the ant. for the stations to come in better too.

That's awesome that you can actually pull in that much on rabbit ears! Probably because of your high elevation, like you'd said. :D

Thanks!Not really doing this for dxing!just preparing for the day soon when I say goodby to Cable tv and save some $$$:everybodydance:.I don't really watch a lot of regular tv and what I can get with a better ant I most likely wont watch anyway.4 tvs that I have in the house now all hooked up to cable will be replaced by rabbit ears.I also have a pc hooked up to one of the TV's for streaming and another with roku3 so hopefully all this will keep my wife happy when cable tv goes away.

If the rabbit ears work most of the time, but need a bit of help, an attic antenna would probably solve the problem.

IF I decided to put a Attic antenna in!Will running a cable from it to where my cable comes into the house be what I should do then adding a signal booster or two to take care of the 5 cables running to 5 places in the house for the cable tv now.If I do decide on a attic antenna will a good mult directional one do ok?dont really care to use a rotor.

IF I decided to put a Attic antenna in!Will running a cable from it to where my cable comes into the house be what I should do then adding a signal booster or two to take care of the 5 cables running to 5 places in the house for the cable tv now.If I do decide on a attic antenna will a good mult directional one do ok?dont really care to use a rotor.
A 4way splitter will introduce 7dB of loss the 5th cable will add another 3.5dB of loss(2way splitter) so you need at least a 15dB distribution amp.

An omnidirectional antenna may add too much co-channel/adjacent channel interference and actually reduce the number of watchable channels you receive. If you want an in attic antenna I would suggest a Winegard HD 1080 starting at $40 on ebay. It takes up little space and I know it will work in my area at 63 miles. If you leave the back reflectors folded you would get almost equal front and back reception.

How much metal do you have in your attic? Reflective underlayments or heating ducts can reduce the radio waves getting to the antenna. Even metal roofing can kill TV signals.

Last edited:
we have hydro air and central heating!ducts in attic low to the ground so no blockage horizontally.The only thing I dread is that the attic has no floor and a few feet of blown in insulation.:(

One more cat with a comment. (he he he)
Since they are 'all around', and most are good signal levels, I think I'd try a Stealth Hawk DIY project. Omni directional. I wouldn't expect the weak ones with Co-channel, but may get some that are flagged with 'adjacent'.
images
images
Think could be built for cheap.

Adjacent or co-channel: If the "offending' station is more than 60° away from the one you want, the 4 bay 'bowtie' designs may offer enough rejection of the offender. The signal level of the offender would also have to be considered. Should be weaker than the desired station by (I'd like to see) 10db. That and the off axis 'rejection' of the antenna should/may give you the margin needed.

Yes and No. A DB4 is a directional antenna. A directional antenna offers gain to the direction it's aimed. The Stealth Hawk design is Omni-directional. Gain =0 Better is to use the antenna best suited to your situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts