Is Kindle What I need?

I agree that overdrive is awkward. Along with adding kindle support they have promised to tweak the interface soon. I really enjoy borrowing their audiobooks for free to keep my mind busy while doing repetitive tasks. I use a little mp3 player for that.

I can't comment on the Kobo but the Literati is horrible. I bought two when Bed, Bath and Beyond had them on clearance for about $30. It worked for less than a month and died. When I returned it the girl at the customer service said that about as many as were sold were being returned.

If you have a device that lets you download apps I highly recommend you download the app version of any of these readers before buying them to test the availability of each ones content.

My answer to the OPs original question, I have owned two kindles (K2 and K3), a Galaxy Tab (7"), and and iPad 2. If I am outside, there is no doubt that the Kindle 3 is the best. Easy to read in bright sunshine, just a perfect device. Go to the beach, forget about a Tab, Color Nook, or iPad. Its almost useless outside. I can only see the iPad outside in landscape mode, and even then with brightness on full.

Inside, I think if all you want is an e-reader, then stick with the Kindle 3, its still a perfect device for reading. The screen refreshes are the best of any of the e-ink readers, it weighs virtually nothing, and it is just very comfortable to use for several hours at a time.

If you want an all around device, then the Kindle reader on the iPad and Android Galaxy Tab works great for inside reading. But sometimes I find that 1) I get too distracted by other things when all I want to do is read; and 2) the iPad just is not as comfortable in the hands for long reading sessions. The 7" Galaxy Tab is better for an ereader. I love how you can use the volume buttons on the side to advance pages.

If you want to read magazines, then the iPad is definitely the device to have. the Zinio reader, the standalone apps for Conde Nast magazines is excellent. I regularly read Time, Wired, Macworld, Bloomberg, and the New Yorker on the iPad. Wired is definitely the best e-magazine in terms of features.

Magazines on the Kindle are ok, but not great.

I doubt I will buy another Kindle anytime soon, but I will keep my K3 and my iPad as the complete package.

I have an electronic reader and love it. The drawback is price - I read alot of books and the differential between hard/soft cover and electronic is very broad from my experience. Still buying books because of the price. Hopefully, the electronic media pricing will lateralize or become less expensive than traditional books.

I have an electronic reader and love it. The drawback is price - I read alot of books and the differential between hard/soft cover and electronic is very broad from my experience. Still buying books because of the price. Hopefully, the electronic media pricing will lateralize or become less expensive than traditional books.

Before Apple colluded with the publishers on the "agency" model, pricing on e-books was reasonable, would rarely pay more than $9.99 for a new "hardcover-only" e-book, now its anywhere from $10 to $15, some higher. annoying, when you can buy the actual book cheaper than the e-book. A lot of greed, but in this instance, I would not place it on Amazon, but on the publishers.

Yep, way too much. I'll gladly stick to physical books. Besides, my wife runs a library, so .......... Let's hope ebooks are slow in coming!

Everyone in our house loves to read. We ran out of space for more books quite a while ago and it is hard getting rid of them if they were good. The idea of my "library" living on Amazon's servers is attractive for real world storage space reasons. I'm able to find a fair amount of interesting books for free for the kindle. I haven't bought one yet. I use a combination of things to keep from dragging any more books home. They know me by name at the library and I have my card number memorized. If they don't have what I want I check Overdrive. My local library doesn't deal with Overdrive but I was eligible for a free card from a library that does. If overdrive doesn't have it and I can't get it for free on Amazon then I pay $1.50 for an inter-library loan.

I wish there was a little more wisdom in book pricing. I would like to support my favorite authors financially by buying their books and do pay for one here and there just to ensure the authors are getting some of my money. If books cost less, especially ebooks, I would buy more of them.

Sorry to the OP for getting off track.

Thanks for all the replies and options. After playing with all of them hands on, I've decided to abandon the "single box" solution. Instead we are going with the Kindle and a small cheapie computer for email.

The little computers don't have a ton of muscle, but I'm just looking for an email machine for travel. The side benefit - it's isolated from my home system so less chance of my main system contamination from the foreign wi-fi access we will be using.

I was amazed at how readable the Kindle was and how easy it was function wise. My better half is really gadget challenged, but she had no problem with the K3.

Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions.

Kindle Question?

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle because they are easy on the eyes and priced right these days. I have an HTC EVO 4G smartphone for email and such so I just need to the Kindle WiFi version. Quick question? Does the Kindle have a mini/micro USB port so I can tether it to my smartphone. I wouldn't need it often, but it would be nice to have when I'm on the road. Thanks!

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle because they are easy on the eyes and priced right these days. I have an HTC EVO 4G smartphone for email and such so I just need to the Kindle WiFi version. Quick question? Does the Kindle have a mini/micro USB port so I can tether it to my smartphone. I wouldn't need it often, but it would be nice to have when I'm on the road. Thanks!
its a LINUX based device..It does have a micro USB port..tethering is not supported but if you scoured the internet there "probably" is a way to do it

Thats not true. The kindle has a built in web browser thats fine for basic e-mail functions. I use it all the time for yahoo mail when I'm on the road.

Thanks. I'm going to pick up 2 of the Ks'3, but will hold off on buying the cheapie laptop until I have a chance to play with the wireless feature and see what it can do for Gmail.

When I read my tablet or nook outsde. I have to remember to spin them to landscape mode. The screens are polarized and are not visable at all while I'm wearing sunglasses. Put them on their side and they are prefectly usable outdoors in the shade.

MikeinBaja said:
Thanks. I'm going to pick up 2 of the Ks'3, but will hold off on buying the cheapie laptop until I have a chance to play with the wireless feature and see what it can do for Gmail.

IMHO if you don't want to lug around a laptop then you can get a Android smartphone to check your email.

When I read my tablet or nook outsde. I have to remember to spin them to landscape mode. The screens are polarized and are not visable at all while I'm wearing sunglasses. Put them on their side and they are prefectly usable outdoors in the shade.

They are "usable" in the shade in landscape mode, but its not in any way great. I'll take my Kindle 3 outside over any computer or tablet.

Just to circle back and close the loop on this thread - I did order the Kindle 3 (2 of them actually). They are very easy to read even in bright sun and it has no problems at all checking G-Mail.

Under the experimental tab the link for G-Mail is pre-programmed; click and go (with wi-fi connection of course). We will be checking this out in full during a cruise the end of October.

Not having to lug around multiple paper books and a lap top will be a joy I'm already looking forward to!

Just to circle back and close the loop on this thread - I did order the Kindle 3 (2 of them actually). They are very easy to read even in bright sun and it has no problems at all checking G-Mail.

Under the experimental tab the link for G-Mail is pre-programmed; click and go (with wi-fi connection of course). We will be checking this out in full during a cruise the end of October.

Not having to lug around multiple paper books and a lap top will be a joy I'm already looking forward to!

The ONLY downside and it is very very minor -- are those 15 - 20 minutes taxiing and getting above 10,000 feet when you can't use it, but you are absolutely right. The Kindle is liberating for travel, and just makes reading fun.

There aren't as many free deals any more, but check out stuff like Kindle Nation Daily, which lists cheap reads and free stuff. I just saw a new bio by Bob Edwards of NPR is Free for kindle right now. I clicked buy. Will I read it? Who knows? But it was free, and takes no space. ;) :D

I hadn't looked at the experimental browser since the version that came on the K2 and it does look better. I don't recall the previous one having the bookmarks function.

Do turn the wi-fi off when not in use, the battery will last much longer.

Amazon added the Kindle Daily Deal recently. Different heavily discounted title each day.

Enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)