Is Kindle What I need?

I hadn't looked at the experimental browser since the version that came on the K2 and it does look better. I don't recall the previous one having the bookmarks function.

Do turn the wi-fi off when not in use, the battery will last much longer.

Amazon added the Kindle Daily Deal recently. Different heavily discounted title each day.

Enjoy.

Agreed on the battery. Did not know about the Daily Deal.

I hadn't looked at the experimental browser since the version that came on the K2 and it does look better. I don't recall the previous one having the bookmarks function.

Do turn the wi-fi off when not in use, the battery will last much longer.

Amazon added the Kindle Daily Deal recently. Different heavily discounted title each day.

Enjoy.

I did figure out turning off the wi-fi to save the battery life. So far I have only downloaded 3 books (all free ones to check it out) and was amazed at how fast they downloaded.

Thanks for the heads up on the daily deal.

To close out this thread start to finish - we originally began this search for a reader for traveling. We recently returned from a 7 night cruise which also featured @ 12 hours of travel time to and from the ship (lots of airline reading time). The Kindles worked great!

I took 1 charging cord with us (just in case) and neither unit needed it for the 8 nights involved in the total trip. Units were on probably 7 hours +/- each of the 2 travel days and at least 4 hours each day of the cruise. Arrived home with 1/4 battery charge remaining in each unit.

I'm very impressed by the performance "under fire" and the readability of the unit was never an issue in any light conditions. I did get the optional cover that has the pull-out light, and those worked extremely well too.

It was nice not to need to lug around a bunch of paper books (both volume and weight).

Thanks to all who weighed in - we are extremely pleased with the units - they PERFECTLY fit our needs.

Good for you Mike!

Hopefully you are a prime member -- as Amazon just announced a Kindle Lendle Library. With over 100 NYTimes Bestsellers, free. You just borrow the book, and return it electronically when you are done. Very cool. Only downside is it does not work on the iPad or iPhone or PC/Mac apps. I guess I'll be grabbing my e-ink Kindle back from my kid and testing this out.

I am excited about being able to check emails over 3G on Kindle. And from what I read, this works outside the US too! I am planning to pick up a Kindle Touch 3G later this month once it is released.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

These days, you can drop your downloads on to an ipad or iphone to read. Buying a kindle is waste of money if you have either of those. And being that Ipads are so cheap for the low end version, might as well have a computer and reader all in one.

I'm trying to figure out if joining Amazon prime is worth the price, or is this just the introduction price and they will raise the price and separate Kindle e-books and video on demand at some point, so does anyone know their plans?

I know it is nice to figure out the plans these various companies might have, but does it matter that much in this case? I mean with Prime at its current cost and with them increasing its value over the last few months, the indications are that they will keep it the same in offerings and I would guess the price for at least a year. Assuming that is so, then if that meets your needs, the cost of the Kindle is well worth it. Even if they drop Prime altogether after a couple years, imo.

Right now it is cheaper than a Netflix sub, of course the selections are a bit fewer also, and offers a free book to borrow and read each month, and you get free 2 day shipping for much of what you might buy at Amazon. I think it is a hell of a deal and whether it lasts 2 years or 10, it is still a hell of a deal!

I'm trying to figure out if joining Amazon prime is worth the price, or is this just the introduction price and they will raise the price and separate Kindle e-books and video on demand at some point, so does anyone know their plans?

Amazon prime has been $79/year since it started; and each year they have added features to it. I would not expect any changes in it.

Do realize you can only borrow ONE book per month, and its only a small number of books that are available. I think there are close to a million books available in the Kindle Store, and only 5000 books - none from the big 6 publishers - are available to borrow.

I have had Prime since the beginning, and I make great use of it, as I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.

I guess the best way to figure out if the service is worth it for you, is to give it a try. I just signed up for a free 30 day trial the other day, simply to save on shipping this holiday season. And so far I am really enjoying the free Amazon movies on my Roku. I haven't tried other features yet, but I think I will keep the service after the trial. And once they charge my card I figure my price will be fixed for a year. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am excited about being able to check emails over 3G on Kindle. And from what I read, this works outside the US too! I am planning to pick up a Kindle Touch 3G later this month once it is released.

I placed my pre-order with Amazon for Kindle Touch 3G (mostly for the above mentioned reason), but I think I will now cancel my order, as I found out this: :(

The Amazon Kindle team says:

We apologize for the confusion. Our new Kindle Touch 3G enables you to connect to the Kindle Store, download books and periodicals, and access Wikipedia - all over 3G or Wi-Fi. Experimental web browsing (outside of Wikipedia) on Kindle Touch 3G is only available over Wi-Fi.

Our Kindle Keyboard 3G will continue to offer experimental web browsing over 3G or Wi-Fi.

Kindle Touch 3G - no more web browsing via 3G?

So, just buy a Kindle 3. Its a great device. I am not convinced there is ANY real benefit to the touch screen for e-ink anyways.

Oh, you mean Kindle Keyboard 3G? Yes, that's still an option...
Though I wanted a newer model. :(

Oh, you mean Kindle Keyboard 3G? Yes, that's still an option...
Though I wanted a newer model. :(

Until a month ago, it was just called the K3. And it is only a little over a year old. Moreover, it is a stellar e-reader. IF you want an e-ink reader, AND want the ability to use the browser over 3G, then its the best option out there.

Sounds like it's the only option! I just hope they don't turn off the experimental browser (over 3G) in a month or two...

Ok, I have just canceled my Kindle Touch 3G order and ordered a Kindle Keyboard 3G instead. Since I am buying an older model and will likely replace it in a year or two, I went with the cheaper $139 option (the one with ads). And for the price difference I bought a leather case with a light. Should be here by Wednesday!

I still hope Amazon re-enables the 3G browsing capability for Touch an other future Kindle models. All we really need is just the capability to check a few emails and lookup a couple of addresses while traveling, especially outside the US. It's not like we would use-up Gigabytes of bandwidth on a Kindle!

Received my Kindle Keyboard 3G today. Like it so far.
The browser is better than I expected, but will require some getting used to. Very slow! But it does work over 3G!
The keyboard is ok, but I think I would prefer a touch screen keyboard. I am typing this on Kindle...

Tried renting a book from Amazon Prime. Completely forgot that I am limited to one book a month. Wasted my monthly limit on a 99-cent title. So stupid!

Also ordered a few books from a local public library. Very easy to do: from the library website straight to Amazon check-out. And the book is delivered straight to Kindle in a matter of seconds. Thousands of books are available in Kindle format, and I am allowed to check out 10 at a time for up to 3 weeks. The selection is somewhat limited, but I am sure it will grow quickly. They just started offering them in Kindle format.

The Kindle is really NOT designed for typing more than the name of a book. Remember its an experimental browser, basically just a freebie they give you.

I am a bit ticked off. My kid has been using my Kindle 3 for the past three weeks -- that's all it took for him to fry it. Screen is completely e-ink-screwed up. Tried recharging it; tried hard reset, the darn thing is dead. I swear the kid is death to my electronics. I gave him my old Droid; he manages to drop it in a stinking POND!!! Now the Kindle is dead. Have not decided if I will get a new K3, or a fourth gen one. The thing that annoys me is that I had the K3 3G, no ads, just a great device. But since I use the Kindle on iPad most of the time, I only need it occasionally. GRRRRRRRR......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)