Is my 65" LG tv going bad?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Perhaps all of the OLED panels are LG so going OLED probably isn't going to get you away from complaints about your model.

Getting a mid-line QLED from Sony or Hisense may result in a longer-term relationship. In any case, an extended warranty is probably going to be beneficial -- if for no other reason than Murphy's Law.

LG and Sony both use OLED screens. Samsung and others use QLED. QLED is just an enhanced LED screen, not a new technology. It is debatable, if one is better. Both have many negative reviews.

Both have many negative reviews.
The reviews that you need to be paying attention to are the ones related to reliability. I would hope that you would audition the TV you buy beforehand.

There will always be those who summarily dismiss a particular technology (projectors are pretty popular to dis these days) but if it looks good to you, phooey on them.

Reactions: jerryez
I subscribe to Consumer Reports. The Samsung all tested models get all 5s on ratings and the Sony get 5s on all but HDR. The LG get maybe 3 or 4 on reliability and HDR. I would buy locally from Best Buy or Sam's, maybe Walmart, if they have a good one in stock.

Click on the attachment to see it.

Attachments

• Samsung.png
    Samsung.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 114
When using the Consumer Reports research, make sure you read the user comments associated with the reviews. Some of them are quite scathing (about both the product and Consumer Reports research thereof).

You might want to check out rtings.com.

I just went thru some ratings on a $1600 Sony OLED TV and the negative reviews are just as bad as my LG. I guess that all electronics have lots of bad apples. Any one know of a current model and brand that has a low percentage of 1 star reviews
What model was $1600.

I was just on Sam’s site, they have a LG A1 OLED 65’ for $1299, that is a great price and LG’s OLED gets high marks, their LCD/LED not so much.

Reactions: jerryez and Foxbat
I just dropped my Consumer Reports subscription after many many years. Too many odd reviews. Less meat in the printed issues. Weird some of the stuff they slammed Tesla with, when you’d think they’d admire the mission.

THEN I learned one of their largest donors is Ford.

It ain’t who votes- it’s who counts the votes!

Reactions: AZ. and clucas
THEN I learned one of their largest donors is Ford.

It ain’t who votes- it’s who counts the votes!
Get ready to sigh some more, then. It isn't Ford Motor Corporation who contributes to Consume Reports, it's the Ford Foundation. Two unrelated organizations.
The Ford Foundation is not connected to the Ford Motor Company. The Ford Foundation and Ford Motor Company are two separate and legally unrelated entities whose operations are completely independent and have been for more than 50 years. There is not any financial authority, decision making nor funding relationship between the two organizations.

Reactions: navychop
From your link: “The Ford Foundation was created to preserve family control of Ford Motor.”

However, I get your point, and stand mostly corrected. Better to learn early than to keep spreading half truths. So, Thank You.

Reactions: AZ.
How far off the track this has gotten. I've never used CR for anything. Nor any site with visible or hidden manufacturer support. It's places like this where I prefer. Or in the home audio heyday Stereo Review and such.
You remember. Stacks of test equipment that some of us drool over having. Who provided real world tests that countered the brand's claims.
A challenge, of sorts. Go down to your local recycling center and sweet talk them into looking at the stacks and rows of TV's. Magnavox, Westinghouse, you name it will be there. "Kit TV's". A screen from here, a board from there, injection molded cases from there. Like I said. Days of the butt crack TV repair dude coming over to deguass the CRT, spray down and clean the tuner, test tubes, converge. It's over. Done!
Hate them, love them. The big guys like Sony and Samsung have been there for years. For a reason.
Yeah I know. Bal bla bla. "But they don't make their own screen, but they don't do that". IDGAF!
But I said it before. Go to any TV broadcast studio if they would let you. Sony here, Sony there.
Hell. The Grand Alliance. The melting pot of ATSC HD television. In the 3rd floor basement of the NBC studios close to DC back in the day. I was there. The camera? The million dollar, one-up with pluggable cards for the many different ideas being fed into the "funnel". Sony. I don't know. They must be doing something right.

Do you want, need a new TV. It's your money. All of those rows of scrapped TV's at the recycling center "could" probably be fixed if service data were made available. Or if you worked on them every day and could identify the common issues. The "Scotch Tape"....fix...for LG seems like a cheat. But it does help narrow down where to go next. A shorted SMD capacitor, taking a chance with an eBay board and/or ribbon cables.
Watching and listening to the Hindinglish speaking guys with the booker-picker pinky finger nail speaking boog-boogedy dad-dooooooood we-vill now check boogedy cap-ac-ceeee-torr.. vun, too, tree, fooo.
My attention span fades fast.

5 Sony's here and a Samsung. One 9" Sony I got at the exchange in Athens in the 70's that has a USA/PAL/CCIR switch on top with multi voltage selector and can plug into a 12 volt power source. I'm sure it would power on and work. With careful waking up from a Variac.
They all work. No Lucky Goldstar's here my friends. I think I'm smart that way. Not lucky.
I haven't regretted my Square Trade warranties one bit. I didn't even have to send an APC UPS back when I did a claim. Shhh....I put new batteries in it. So now I got 2-1500 watt backups.

How's that for a rant?

Reactions: KAB
All of those rows of scrapped TV's at the recycling center "could" probably be fixed if service data were made available.
In this day and age of Very Large Scale Integration, that's not particularly true anymore. Lots of problems are either "Sparky Repairs" (module replacement) or recycling. Module availability is generally awful these days.

That is a great set ( I have the next step up, the A90J in 83”), the only reason it is on sale is because it is last years model, the new ones have a K instead of a J.

Also, if you can hold out, Amazon Prime Day is July 12/13, that Sony could be even less since it is last year’s model, same for others.

By the way, the OLED have a great picture, but in extreme light, it can really wash the picture out, so you would need Blackout Curtains/shades/Drapes.

Here in the Florida Sun, I have to use them, but I decided to get the Sony 85” 8K Z9K ( mini-LED) next month when it comes out, the OLED will go in my Game Room.

If OLED is not for you, I recommend the Sony’s LED sets from last year, right now at Amazon the X90J at 65” is only $1020.00, the X95J only $1498.00.

Just stay away from Samsung LEDs, they do not have Dolby Vision and the LGs have IPS Panels instead of VA Panels, they do not do blacks well, so you lose detail because of it.

Samsung S95B 65 inch 4K Quantum HDR OLED Smart TV (2022) came out in Marc h 2022. It is now OLED with all HDMI inputs have 2.1. It is also a 120hrz set with a 3.0 ATSC tuner. Not many reviews yet and it is $2597 at Amazon with a 2 year protection bundle. 2022 cutting edge first OLED from Samsung.

I know that someone hear will have an opinion. Well?

Last edited:
2022 cutting edge first OLED from Samsung.
As Samsung is a company that has at least their share of reliability issues, I'd avoid their maiden voyage on the sea of OLED until there's a positive track record.

There's also the issue of Samsung's hard core avoidance of Dolby Vision in favor of HDR10+. This can be important if you think you might enjoy 4K HDR/WCG streaming or UltraHD Blu-ray.

Reactions: jerryez

Samsung S95B 65 inch 4K Quantum HDR OLED Smart TV (2022) came out in Marc h 2022. It is now OLED with all HDMI inputs have 2.1. It is also a 120hrz set with a 3.0 ATSC tuner. Not many reviews yet and it is $2597 at Amazon with a 2 year protection bundle. 2022 cutting edge first OLED from Samsung.

I would recommend the LG G2 which is the brightest OLED on the market right now and the same price as the Samsung , also does Dolby Vision.

Last year’s model, G1, is $800 less.

If you have not bought anything yet

LG OLED B1 Series 65”-$1496.99​

LG OLED B1 Series 77”-$2196.99​

at Amazon for Prime Day.

LG OLED C1 Series 65” is $1599.99 or $1600.​

Only $100 more, but I think that I am waiting for my current LG tv to die. The color wash out only blinks occasionally for a second. I was worried that it was dieing, but so far all is OK and it only blinks in scene changes, which is not that noticeable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts