Is My Receiver Shot

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Richfunb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I have a HR24-500 which is about two years old. Last week it started freezing / skipping for about a second on all recording playbacks. At first it only froze occasionally but now it does it at least once every minute. Could this be a software problem or is my receiver's hard drive shot? If I need a new receiver, will DirecTV charge me full price for a replacement? Any answers would be appreciated.

That's what mine did when it went bad. They will replace it for $19.95 or unless you have the protection plan. They will mail you another one and a box to return the bad one. Very easy.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Richfunb,

The symptoms you describe are exactly like my HR24-100 exhibited about 8 weeks ago. I was getting an error code of 14-xxx. Customer service made me run through a series of reboots to confirm that the receiver was really acting up. Once they were convinced that the receiver was, in fact, bad I had a replacement the next day. Interestingly enough, my replacement HR24-500 did the same thing about 4 weeks later. This time I had an error code 15-xxx. The customer service person did not make me do the additional tests and just sent a replacement receiver. It arrived in 2 days. I just can't believe the excellent service D* provides on replacement receivers.

Just a heads up on entering a diagnostic code when you are prompted by the automated telephone menu; you only enter the first two digits of the error code. I kept trying to enter all 5 digits and the automated phone system kept refusing to accept the code.

As for any charge, it seems to depend on your service and credit score. When you look at your statement on the DirecTV website you see that the "shipping charge" is dependent on your credit score. That same message never appears on the paper copy they send you in the mail. So, your experience may vary from some of the posts you read on this forum. Mine did.

Bob

What Bob says is quite true. With the protection plan you pay no shipping. Without it, if you are a good enough customer, you still may not pay the $19.95 for shipping. YMMV.

I tried the Built in Self Test (BIST) overnight and this morning the receiver seems to be playing my recordings without a problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it has fixed the hard drive. Thank you to all for the excellent advice.

It's a 199 dollar charge for a new box but DirecTV won't charge you for that if you have eggs existing equipment DirecTV will charge you $50 if there's no protection plan on your account get the protection plan it's seven bucks a month covers you frame type of issues in the future no additional cost if you get another box there is it to release on the box and if you keep the protection plan for the first year you like a free upgrade to keep it for the second year DirecTV will give you a little system upgrade at no additional cost to you newest latest equipment and whatever new customer rates are you get Ausel so it's super the long run to have the protection plan

Try punctuation, it's handy.
Edit: And stop using auto correct!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts