Is Stern worth his millions?

UH, what? You still have the tuning choice, change the channel. Even on OTA radio, just because you tune away from the station that carries stern, doesn't mean the next 5 stations don't have the same advertisers. You can't get away, but you can effect the ratings, same thing with sat radio; just tune stern out and listen to something else. Why are people so dang militant? No one can please everyone all the time; so just tune away; there is no need for a total boycott.

Last edited:
Stern is not my only problem with Sirius, he is just adding to it. Sirius was my wife's idea, I myself with over a 1000 CDs ranging from Beethoven to Hank Williams to Jimi Hendrix to T Bone Walker to Johnny Cash to Grateful Dead to The Allman Brothers to Muddy Waters to Santana to SRV to Johnny Winter to B.B. King, get the picture, I don't need a music service, let alone pay for it. After 11 months of listening to Sirius I am convinced that they think "Got My Mojo Working" is the only song Muddy Waters has ever recorded and the Jam channel plays the about the same 5 or 6 bands over and over. It seems like every morning when I turn them on Schwartz is playing STRING CHEESE INCIDENT. Now that I am off of my soapbox, in my opinion, NO Stern is not worth the money and neither is Sirius.

Last edited:
I too have 1000's of CDs but I refuse to stay at home 100% of the time nor do I care to haul 100's at a time in my car. Sirius (sat radio in general) is not meant to replace your diverse CD collection; yet it is meant to supplement it by replacing AM/FM, especially on long drives through nowhere. Sure they can expand their music selections, they all could,, but they need consistent, honest feedback to do so, not cancellations or hate mail. Once again you can't please everyone all the time nor can they be expected to have everything in a recording catalog, they have to appeal to the millions, not just me.

charper1 said:
I too have 1000's of CDs but I refuse to stay at home 100% of the time nor do I care to haul 100's at a time in my car. Sirius (sat radio in general) is not meant to replace your diverse CD collection; yet it is meant to supplement it by replacing AM/FM, especially on long drives through nowhere. Sure they can expand their music selections, they all could,, but they need consistent, honest feedback to do so, not cancellations or hate mail. Once again you can't please everyone all the time nor can they be expected to have everything in a recording catalog, they have to appeal to the millions, not just me.
I do agree with you, but I know what I want to listen to and Sirius is not providing it for me. If Sirius was free I would have no problem with it, I just feel that it's not worth payng for. The amount of money has nothing to do with it for I am not a "cheap bastard," but when I am paying I want to be satisifed. That is not happening with Sirius.

Sirius isn't designed for you. You want to listen to the music you know, a lot of sirius is about introducing people to new music. They just happen to have the older stuff because older people spend money.

What exactly makes a person despise Howard Stern Anyways? Is it the fart jokes or the Dick jokes?

Jealousy that the kid/teen humour we all participated in at some point in high school earned him many millions. LoL. What else could it be with all the loyalty shown to sports figures, movie/music stars, and politicians that do worse; what has he done?

charper1 said:
Jealousy that the kid/teen humour we all participated in at some point in high school earned him many millions. LoL.

That's the point, I am well past that phase in my life, it's not funny anymore. I was a great Richard Pryor (RIP) fan when I was 23, now that I am older I can't stand to listen to him. There are things I didn't like then that I do like now and visa versa. I also detect a bit of liberalism here, I don't agree with you so I am wrong, right.:rolleyes:

No , we are not saying you are wrong that he is childish and acts like a fool (like Benny Hill and many others), but the resulting approach you take is militant, over the top or extreme. You want to punish all of Sirius for a dislike for one man. If you dislike 50% or more of Sirius; Stern AND the content, then this discussion should have never been directed at Stern alone in your reasoning for dumping Sirius as you have issues with the majority of the service. If your only issue is Stern or a few playlist issues you can deal with, I am trying to point out that dumping the entire thing over the coming chnl 100/101/102 would be overkill. Basically throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Diamond Jim said:
That's the end of my Sirius affiliation. When someone I dislike is OTA I have the choice not to listen or patronize their sponsors, but when I am paying for a service and someone I despise is being payed with money that comes from my wallet, it's time for termination.

Bye Jim... Hello Sirius for me!!

Is any entertainer worth millions of dollars?
We in this country put such a high value on entertainment is any actor worth $20million a picture, sports figure worth $10-20million a season?
The list goes on!!

I don't know Charp, maybe I was expecting to much. I envisioned the rock and blues channels to be like the underground stations of the 60s. When I was on Armed Forces Radio and later a couple of small stations we played what was requested or what we wanted to. Keep the listener happy. As stations went cooperate with consulants and play list, that took the fun out of it, I got out at the beginning of the Disco era, they would have had to hold a gun to my head for me to play that sh*t. As for Stern, I don't give a rats ass about him, the point that I am trying to make is this is a free country, free for him to do what he wants, free for you to listen if you want and free for me to make the decision not to line his pockets with my money. Oh yea, sorry about the liberal crack, that was out of line.:eek:

Funny that an entertainer thats supposed to be washed up is still going strong and can command a 500 million dollar contract, how many washed up people do you know that can do that? Kudo's to Howard for standing behind his convictions and for shaking up the medium, shame on him though for giving up the fight on terrestrial radio.

Shame on him? There's nothing to fight for, nothing to gain. It's a losing battle and he's bleeped more and more every day. You tried listening to clear channel stations since they dropped howard? It's so lame, they don't even try to be funny anymore...

Even though he is cencored he is still draws numbers that other talk show hosts on the radio would be envious of, I think he could have gotten a campaign going to push for changes if he had really really given it a try.

OK, I haven't been pleased with Stern over the past 6 months or so, b/c of the constant bitching about this or that. I only listen from 6 to 7, so its the slow hour anyways, but it was really getting old.

I gotta say that during Week 2 of 3 of no Stern is making me long for even the last half year of bitching.

I can't wait for Jan 9. The enjoyment of my entertaining ride to work will be restored.

I miss 6-7 almost all the time, but when I did hear it, it was usually lame except for on mondays when the weekend stories get previewed. Meat & Potatoes has always been later in the show, and the news is gold...

joedekock said:
But how does that pay his 500 million? If you take the figured 3 million subscribers there is now, and let's say he will bring over another 3 million subscribers in the next 5 years, (lets be honest, not even Stern is going to have that big of a movement follow him to satellite radio. remember, majority of people still think its ridiculous to pay for radio). That comes no where close to $500 million over a 5 year period.
Only time will tell.

just 20 years ago people said they wouldn't pay for television either and now most of the country does.

Ron

It looks like Free FM replaced more than Stern. The whole station's format changed. Personally, I think it sucks and I thought it was funny to hear Phoenix people call in and tell the host the same. There were some fans ofthe host that were happy to hear him on the air here again.

If Free FM is what 'free' radio is going to, I suspect Satellite radio will be seeing an even bigger boom now! This new talk-rock format is terrible.

Adam Corrola is ok in the Morning.

I sure am glad to have a Sirius radio in my car! I'll be buying another now for my other car(s).

Shawn

At least you get corrola, I got DLR, the other douche Rover is still on his channel (he's now syndicated to some other channels stern used to be on), and the other rock station is the typical clone show too...January 9th can't come soon enough...

I'll have to catch the name of the afternoon 'drive home' time host. The show is setup just like Sterns, only it isn't funny.

I've also noticed that they haven't seemed to manage to sell any commercials on this new channel. It's PSA central. In about 20 minutes listening I swear I heard 6 PSAs.

Shawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)