Is tailgating worth it?

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
So my friend and I are going to a 49ers game this fall and we're debating whether or not to go early for the tailgating. I've never been tailgating before, and obviously we would not be setting up our own tailgate but rather just hang out in that area with the other 49ers fans. My friend wants to go to this because he wants to get the whole 49ers "experience" (he's an even bigger fan than I am.) I'm just wondering if it's really worth it. I suppose it comes down to personal preference but what is the Satguys opinion on going to tailgating when you're not actively participating by providing food and other things?

i've been to Arrowhead once, and i'd say yes. We didn't tailgate, but would have been cool to walk around the parking lot a little more. If either of you are outgoing it wouldn't be difficult to strike up a conversation and hang with some folks either.

I have never done it at a pro game, but from a college perspective, YES, totally worth it. It is part of the experience of going to the stadium IMO. If I am going just to watch the game, I would prefer to just stay at home and avoid the crowd and the drive.

yes they are worth it, I have been to many of them and they are fun plus you can get free food and beer.
Is there any etiquette in regards to that? I mean, I don't want to be a mooch and just take everyone's food and beer (even though they are putting it out there.) Are there any tailgating do's/don'ts that I should be aware of?

yourbeliefs said:
Is there any etiquette in regards to that? I mean, I don't want to be a mooch and just take everyone's food and beer (even though they are putting it out there.) Are there any tailgating do's/don'ts that I should be aware of?

Just talk to them and if they offer it, gracefully accept it.

Nah, no real rules about it. Generally I just walk up to a group and take what I want. If they say something, you proceed to backhand the five closest guys (even if you have to chase them down to do it), and the rest generally back down pretty quick. I mean you do not want to come across as a coward at your first tailgate. Right?

msmith198025 said:
Nah, no real rules about it. Generally I just walk up to a group and take what I want. If they say something, you proceed to backhand the five closest guys (even if you have to chase them down to do it), and the rest generally back down pretty quick. I mean you do not want to come across as a coward at your first tailgate. Right?

I had to do that a couple times but as I get older I let my wife backhand people.

Seriously, most of the time we are cooking ourselves, with a tv or two set up, and people just come strike up a conversation about whatever game happens to be on, the game we are all there to watch, charcoal vs gas grilling, what type of generator are you using, ect. Most people at these things are as nice to you as you are to them (obviously there are exceptions).

You say you are not setting up your own area, but you can do it relatively cheap. A small portable grill, some meat to throw on it, a cooler, and a couple of chairs are really all you need to have a good time, and you will probably meet more people just hanging out than you would imagine.

I had to do that a couple times but as I get older I let my wife backhand people.
Understandable.
I know the last game we went to I had to chase a guy a country mile, but I got that last backhand in. Bad thing about it though, by the time I got back to the tailgate area, all those pansies had fled.

:facepalm LOL

msmith198025 said:
Understandable.
I know the last game we went to I had to chase a guy a country mile, but I got that last backhand in. Bad thing about it though, by the time I got back to the tailgate area, all those pansies had fled.

I stay at the grill and protect the food and beer.

Lmao :haha

Seriously, most of the time we are cooking ourselves, with a tv or two set up, and people just come strike up a conversation about whatever game happens to be on, the game we are all there to watch, charcoal vs gas grilling, what type of generator are you using, ect. Most people at these things are as nice to you as you are to them (obviously there are exceptions).

You say you are not setting up your own area, but you can do it relatively cheap. A small portable grill, some meat to throw on it, a cooler, and a couple of chairs are really all you need to have a good time, and you will probably meet more people just hanging out than you would imagine.
Sadly we can't set up anything. We're flying out to San Fran for the game and taking the bus to the event, so we can't exactly lug around that stuff. Maybe I'll just bring my flask to keep me more social. My friend will have NO problems mingling with the people, and I'm sure will be quick to bring up the fact that we flew all the way across the country to see the game and wanted to see Candlestick one last time before it gets knocked down (Good riddance I say. The only thing good about the stadium is the memories.)

After reading the advice here I think we'll go for the tailgating. Now let's just hope for no rain..

yourbeliefs said:
Sadly we can't set up anything. We're flying out to San Fran for the game and taking the bus to the event, so we can't exactly lug around that stuff. Maybe I'll just bring my flask to keep me more social. My friend will have NO problems mingling with the people, and I'm sure will be quick to bring up the fact that we flew all the way across the country to see the game and wanted to see Candlestick one last time before it gets knocked down (Good riddance I say. The only thing good about the stadium is the memories.)

After reading the advice here I think we'll go for the tailgating. Now let's just hope for no rain..

rain is always better than snow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)