Is the Big East Dead Yet??

An offer was communicated to FSU months ago that they would be welcome by themselves. It's my understanding at that time, they didn't want to move as like now things are still in flux.

It wouldn't make financial sense to agree to move and then back out and move again. They would be on the hook for some amount of exit fee from the acc if they left and then they would be on the hook for some more money if they wanted to leave before entering said new conference. Just like TCU had to pay the big east 5 million even though they never played a game and Boise and SDSU are on the hook if they change their minds before next season, unless the big east dissolves.

Unless the conference that ends up with them decides , in this case the sec, to pay the B10 exit fee in order to get FSU into thier conference.

And as deals like these are made (GOR), I think you will see less conference jumping. Big teams are realizing if they arent in the right conference (see ACC) when the playoff starts they might be left out in the cold.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/53775/big-12-grant-of-rights-deal-in-late-stages

Another note, ACC gave up tier 3 media rights to football, and not basketball to ESPN, kinda pissed the football teams off because its lost money. ACC pays $17 mil a year, Big 12 is estimated $30 mil next year and $40 mil in 2014. Nice raise for an ACC team.

so, each team in the conference has to vote on accepting a new team into the conference ?
not exactly, but under the current rules, all it takes is 4 votes to block entry. Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina, & Florida together make up that number. And since neither wants their in-state rival (Louisville, Ga Tech, Clempson, FSU) to join, they made a gentlemen's agreement to stick together to safeguard one another.

For example, back in the 70's, Ga Tech tried to go back to the SEC, but was blocked by 3 schools (Ole Miss, Miss St, & Georgia) which was the magic number of no's then.

San Diego St has a problem now, in that the MWC doesn't really want them back. I would be shocked if Houston and SMU don't back out on the Big East now and go MWC or CUSA

San Diego St has a problem now, in that the MWC doesn't really want them back. I would be shocked if Houston and SMU don't back out on the Big East now and go MWC or CUSA

Well, they better do it in a hurry, before all the dominoes fall and theres no longer a chair to sit in ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)