Is The The End Of DirecTV at Hand

Status
Please reply by conversation.

schneid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
In the Wind
Been with them since '97. Since then, they have done one install for me when I went to HD even though I have physically moved nine times. I have the equipment protection plan but the last time I tried to take advantage of it, I was denied. I have an HR34, HR24, and H24, all long-in-the-tooth. I just wanted to have access to HBO Go which required a "Genie". Thought I'd swap out my oldest piece the HR24 for an HR54. I was told I could not have two "Genies" as they considered my HR34 a "Genie" even though it did not support HBO Go. Go figure? A Genie that ain't really one. So they expect me to give my newest piece, my HR34, keep my oldest, the HR24, for an HR54 and a client. Bottom line is that was to remain at seven tuners rather than upgrade to ten. I like having a backup DVR but they disagree.

So what am I to do? AT&T must hate pay-on-time, no hassle, cash-cows like me At my present locale I have two antennas in my attic that receive all the locals well. For some reason my AM21N won't. I have downgraded to their lowest tier and subscribe to to things like HBO and Sho directly as I have a 1gb Internet connection.

Since they hate me so much, I am about to try Sling AirTV that will let me DVR the Internet based non-Locals and the OTA Locals. Is my plan sound? AT&T seems to have lost all interest in DirecTV's bread-and butter old-timers. I do have Amazon FireTV that is picking up a lot of slack but am interested in all the other cord-cutting and non-dish alternatives.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any guidance getting away from AT&T and their pillaging an plundering.

Reactions: pattykay
Except for ONLY a couple of early exceptions, nobody can have more than 1 Genie on their account & it's ALWAYS been like this since they came out. Considering you've been on this board since 2007 I'm surprised you don't already know this; it's very easy to find numerous posts on this (& the other) board that have discussed this ad nausea... ;)
Bottom line - doesn't look like D*'s ever going to budge on this one.

Reactions: rd76
Actually 1997 but my HR34 "Genie" does not do HBO Go as real Genie's do. I thought I stated I knew their new policy which has incentivized me to slowly disconnect from them. Just looking for input to complete the severance. My bill is now $100 less than a year ago. I guess their new AT&T bean-counters think their policies are working for them albeit not for me. I wish them what they sow.

Reactions: jdlovin
I'm not sure what gives you the impression the HR34 does not support HBO go but that is a service of HBO that doesn't really have anything to do with which model of genie you have or even a genie or DIRECTV at all.

The one and only functional difference between an HR34 and 44 or 54 is the support for Mobile DVR service which allows you to watch (almost) any channel or recording out of home as well as transfer recordings to mobile devices.

For this functionality they would allow you to upgrade your genie but as you have found, you can only have 1 genie so it would replace your HR34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo
Tell them the HR34 is dead, won't even boot up. Ask for an HR44, they will give you one for nothing, not even a contract extension. The only way to get an HR54 is to have a 4k televsion. Do you?

Reactions: TermiNader
The Thread title has nothing to do with the discussion in the thread.

What the others have already mentioned is true...
Only 1 Genie per account and Yes the HR34 Is a genie.
If you want a newer one, the 34 is the one you need to replace.
Yes. I would Keep at least 1 Hr24, I try to stay away from the clients, but they have better results now than they did earlier.

I'm not sure what gives you the impression the HR34 does not support HBO go but that is a service of HBO that doesn't really have anything to do with which model of genie you have or even a genie or DIRECTV at all. ...

Agreed, I wonder if the OP is confusing HBOgo with Mobile DVR service?

...The one and only functional difference between an HR34 and 44 or 54 is the support for Mobile DVR service which allows you to watch (almost) any channel or recording out of home as well as transfer recordings to mobile devices. ...

Yes this and linear 4K reception capability of the HR54.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Tell them the HR34 is dead, won't even boot up. Ask for an HR44, they will give you one for nothing, not even a contract extension. The only way to get an HR54 is to have a 4k televsion. Do you?

Not necessarily true. I haven't seen anything but 54s since February

I've had the HR34 since it first came out. Back in the Fall I called up DirecTV to ask for a upgrade to from the HR34 to the HR44 since I had a Genie Go, and they were discontinuing support for it. I got the upgrade for free, and they didn't even want the HR34 back. It was a painless process, didn't even take 10 minutes. They even knocked off $50 my bill for the next 6 months, without even me asking. My only qualm is that the box was obviously used since the top is all scratched to hell and the smart card door cover doesn't stay flush with the rest of the front. But overall it's a much much better unit then that of POS HR34 was.

Not sure what HBO Go has to do with anything.

I've had the HR34 since it first came out. Back in the Fall I called up DirecTV to ask for a upgrade to from the HR34 to the HR44 since I had a Genie Go, and they were discontinuing support for it. I got the upgrade for free, and they didn't even want the HR34 back. It was a painless process, didn't even take 10 minutes. They even knocked off $50 my bill for the next 6 months, without even me asking. My only qualm is that the box was obviously used since the top is all scratched to hell and the smart card door cover doesn't stay flush with the rest of the front. But overall it's a much much better unit then that of POS HR34 was.

Not sure what HBO Go has to do with anything.
Many many recvrs are refurbished, I've had my share and never had any issues with them.

Reactions: pattykay
Not necessarily true. I haven't seen anything but 54s since February

Could be in some areas, but you can't request an HR54 without a 4k tv if they have HR44s.

Could be in some areas, but you can't request an HR54 without a 4k tv if they have HR44s.
I haven't talked to the guys lately, but where I'm at they are putting in 54s without the 4k requirement last time I talked to them.

I think it has a lot to do with whatever gets sent to them.

Been with them since '97. Since then, they have done one install for me when I went to HD even though I have physically moved nine times. I have the equipment protection plan but the last time I tried to take advantage of it, I was denied. I have an HR34, HR24, and H24, all long-in-the-tooth. I just wanted to have access to HBO Go which required a "Genie". Thought I'd swap out my oldest piece the HR24 for an HR54. I was told I could not have two "Genies" as they considered my HR34 a "Genie" even though it did not support HBO Go. Go figure? A Genie that ain't really one. So they expect me to give my newest piece, my HR34, keep my oldest, the HR24, for an HR54 and a client. Bottom line is that was to remain at seven tuners rather than upgrade to ten. I like having a backup DVR but they disagree.

So what am I to do? AT&T must hate pay-on-time, no hassle, cash-cows like me At my present locale I have two antennas in my attic that receive all the locals well. For some reason my AM21N won't. I have downgraded to their lowest tier and subscribe to to things like HBO and Sho directly as I have a 1gb Internet connection.

Since they hate me so much, I am about to try Sling AirTV that will let me DVR the Internet based non-Locals and the OTA Locals. Is my plan sound? AT&T seems to have lost all interest in DirecTV's bread-and butter old-timers. I do have Amazon FireTV that is picking up a lot of slack but am interested in all the other cord-cutting and non-dish alternatives.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any guidance getting away from AT&T and their pillaging an plundering.

So, I think, as others have mentioned, that you might be confusing HBO Go with Genie Go. What exactly are you trying to do with HBO/Genie Go, so we can try to help you figure out a solution to your issue?

Thanks,
Ted

Okay, I was wanting DVR Mobile, misspoke saying HBO Go, which I thought was accessed through the DTV app on devices. DirecTV said they would provide an HR54, leave the Hr24, and swap in a Client for the H24, making me 4k ready. I pay them for equipment protection which provides an upgrade every two years. I see anything compelling that DirecTV is offering and I am without an upgrade for four years.

They seem to be abandoning their sat customers and focusing on their Internet based customers with new stuff. I already have switch HBO and Sho to subscriptions using my FireTV box. Looking really hard at Sling AirTV as it will receive and record OTA like my ill AM21n used to. Would miss the convenience of Whole Home sharing but Android TV boxes are so cheap I can buy a few. Seems like streaming is the future for AT&T and with a 1gb Internet connection I think I see the light.

Nice to come back here and be criticized. I think the title is spot on. I don't see a futire for the DirecTV I've been with for twenty years.

Okay, I was wanting DVR Mobile, misspoke saying HBO Go, which I thought was accessed through the DTV app on devices. DirecTV said they would provide an HR54, leave the Hr24, and swap in a Client for the H24, making me 4k ready. I pay them for equipment protection which provides an upgrade every two years. I see anything compelling that DirecTV is offering and I am without an upgrade for four years.

They seem to be abandoning their sat customers and focusing on their Internet based customers with new stuff. I already have switch HBO and Sho to subscriptions using my FireTV box. Looking really hard at Sling AirTV as it will receive and record OTA like my ill AM21n used to. Would miss the convenience of Whole Home sharing but Android TV boxes are so cheap I can buy a few. Seems like streaming is the future for AT&T and with a 1gb Internet connection I think I see the light.

Nice to come back here and be criticized. I think the title is spot on. I don't see a futire for the DirecTV I've been with for twenty years.
The end of D* sat wise is coming, in the next 20 years or so.

They are not going anywhere ...
If you were a major company and had a product like Sat TV (D*) and the opportunity to expand to yet another area with the same programming, why would you not do that ...
They are Not dumping D* Sat, they are enhancing whats available and allowing themselves to get into the Streaming business to make thier product even MORE valuable.

Sounds to me like you trying to find reasons to leave D*, if thats so, you've already made your choice.
D* sat will be here if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: TermiNader
Looking really hard at Sling AirTV as it will receive and record OTA

Just FYI...the AirTV can receive and play OTA channels live, but it cannot record them. In fact, the AirTV doesn't even support SlingTV Cloud DVR for recording the Sling-provided channels at present.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)