Is The The End Of DirecTV at Hand

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually hacked fire sticks are causing lots of issues

The difference is that KODI is a free app that anybody can use, but to hack a Firestick requires a certain degree of technical competence. Several plug and play devises come with KODI installed. From what KODI I've seen, picture quality can be a concern.

as long as people cant get internet service, directv and dish will be around

I can get good internet service from multiple ISPs, but I still have DirecTV. I haven't found another service that compares to what either of the satellite services offer. One day that may change, but not any time soon.

as long as people cant get internet service, directv and dish will be around

Maybe I'm alone in this, but even with fiber Internet here I'm disenchanted with the streaming options until they can offer:

Sound: Native Dolby Digital 5.1 passthrough
Video: Native 720p / 1080i at full broadcast frame rate
DVR: Fully functional including timeslot record, pre/post timeslot recording extension, catch up to live
Channels: NBCSN, NHL Network, FOX Sports North (and FSN+ alternate), Lifetime, History, HGTV, NatGeo, Science, Discovery

Sling has the channels, but at the crappy 30fps frame rate and all highly compressed 720p
Vue has the 60fps frame rate, a mostly functional DVR, but it's missing Lifetime, History, FSN+ alternate, and NHL Network
DirecTV Now has the channels (minus the FSN+ alternate), 60 fps frame rate, but no DVR

Nobody has 5.1 audio on live channel streams. Nobody passes through 1080i in native resolution on the live streams. Nobody has a DVR where you can extend an event that will certainly overrun its timeslot.

Worst of all, even with a rock solid Internet connection it's still hit or miss if the local CDN endpoint would be able to deliver glitch free playback. This was especially true with NHL.tv, and remains a key reason I will continue to pay DirecTV a premium to get everything above plus Center Ice game broadcasts from them via satellite.

Reactions: anex80 and Jimbo
HBOGO access does not require a Genie. I have HBOGO on my Samsung SmartTV, Phone, and computer via the website and I do not have any kind of DirecTV DVR.

If you're wanting the app on a non-samsung or non-smart TV then buy a Samsung Smart BluRay player...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)