Is there anything wrong with my new installation?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hpshu

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
I had a new installation. Before we had dish 500 for 61.5/110/119. After two techs worked in 2 days here we have now 1000.4 with wing dish for 119 (it is in Brooklyn, NY). This way I am able to get new HD channels and still have my local channels in SD. Also we exchanged old 510 for 722K. Both techs did not look like they even have a clue what they suppose to do, they acted as the robots that just follow the steps does not matter what the results will come out then.

Is there anything wrong with this installation?

1. My Sony 46'' TV was much better with old installation, especially in HD.
2. My second TV has a problem with remote once first TV is on and I am looking or changing something on it.
3. My old Sony has definitely worse SD picture than I see on my recordings from old installation.

Please, any help will be appreciated.

No, my local SD are on 119. When first smart guy remove my 500 I lost my local SD, which my teens are use to record a lot. So second one came and add wing dish and my locals are back now. I think that both of them put too much splitters or bad cables or just did not point dish. Something supposes to be wrong if picture quality is worse on both HD TVs, even if they did not touch my old DVR and cables.

No, my local SD are on 119. When first smart guy remove my 500 I lost my local SD, which my teens are use to record a lot. So second one came and add wing dish and my locals are back now. I think that both of them put too much splitters or bad cables or just did not point dish. Something supposes to be wrong if picture quality is worse on both HD TVs, even if they did not touch my old DVR and cables.

I guess you didnt see the link I posted above. I'll include the pic with it circled

New York locals are on 61.5 TP 15
The big 4 (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) and CW (WPIX) are in HD. The others are in SD. On 119 all of them are in SD only which if you have a 722 why have them in SD?

so in other words...they added a dish when it wasnt needed

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 207
I am sorry, but I did mention that I have two teens who are using those SD local to record in hours and hours. I just would not have any space if they will record it in HD. Also, on small TV they prefer to see SD, not HD. So, I had my own reason to have that 119 in my installation.

Now, I have to figure out if something went wrong with this installation or it is just different signal quality because we are using different satellites? Do you think that if I have 622 for two TV and 722K for two TV their installation needs to be different? Because 722 has one more splitter behind the box which 622 did not have. It was 3 of them at first, but second guy remove one once I start to complain about it and how it can affect quality of the picture.

Hi hpshu and the group, you did not mention how the TVs are hooked up to the receivers. The HD TV should be hooked up to the receiver using HDMI or component. It it is using composite that might be part of the problem. Also check the resolution settings on both the TV and receiver and make sure both are set to the highest your TV supports. For the SD TVs check to see if they are hooked up using the coax output from the receiver, if so that may be part of the problem. Most SD TVs support composite or component and both give better results then the coax output. My guess is the problem is between the TV sets and the receiver as a problem upstream between the dish and receiver will cause picture breakup and or total picture lose, not just poor picture quality. Hope this helps, DC

Your still missing the point, those SD local channels are on the 61.5 and adding the 119 dish back was not necessary to get the SD locals so basically you have two dishes delivering the same SD locals.

Your still missing the point, those SD local channels are on the 61.5 and adding the 119 dish back was not necessary to get the SD locals so basically you have two dishes delivering the same SD locals.
And you are missing the OP's point! He or she wants to record and/or view the SD versions of HD channels. These are not present on EA, and the Bozo installers should have warned him or her about that loss before pulling down both dishes.

Now, the OP says he or she upgraded a 510 to a 722K. I had a 501 that I initially replaced with a 625, and then later with a 722. The Dual tuner receivers both have what I regard as an unwatchable RF output; it's just that crappy. I never saw such a horrible picture on the RF outputs of my 4900, my 301, my 311, or my 111. Possibly this is the problem?

Thank you very much everybody for your help.

Both HD TVs are using HDMI for connection. My old 625 has coaxial cable connected to SD TV. I am complaining that after we switch dishes my old HD TV has a problem with quality of SD picture, it was better before new installation even installer did not touch anything with that receiver or TVs. New 722K not connected with coaxial cable but my husband says it is the same for in and out. Old one did have a different cable for in and out. Sorry, I have not much idea if it will be a problem.
All I know that when we moved 625 to that new HD TV in the past it was much better HD picture than we have now. I want to get the same quality again and I do not know why it is not easy to do from the beginning and what do I need to do now. My husband understand much more than me but he is disable and I am not sure he can change something to the better way even if he will try. Our installers here have very pure knowledge and even if I convince Dish they need to send somebody it is not going to help me that much as both of previous one did not want to admit the problem with quality. I want my husband to enjoy that TV as he did not have that much to enjoy so if anybody can help us with guiding how to fix it I will really appreciate it.

That is interesting. I did not mention that old HD TV is CRT, but this one lost in SD quality when we got this installation. And I did use flat new HD TV with old 625 and did have much better picture. Right now faces are blurry once they start to move and how you can see it on 46'' Sony XBR6 TV in HD? This is not TV. If I start to watch my recording in HD from the old installation from 625 I do not have those blurry faces. What I am trying to tell you that techs did something wrong here and my picture quality is not good enough for what I need to pay for another 2 years. I did enjoy new TV with old DVR 625 when we moved it there and I can not take this TV with 722k now.

That is interesting. I did not mention that old HD TV is CRT, but this one lost in SD quality when we got this installation. And I did use flat new HD TV with old 625 and did have much better picture. Right now faces are blurry once they start to move and how you can see it on 46'' Sony XBR6 TV in HD? This is not TV. If I start to watch my recording in HD from the old installation from 625 I do not have those blurry faces. What I am trying to tell you that techs did something wrong here and my picture quality is not good enough for what I need to pay for another 2 years. I did enjoy new TV with old DVR 625 when we moved it there and I can not take this TV with 722k now.

Hi, a thought just came to mind - when you watch SD on the HD sets do you have a thick bar on each side of the picture? If not then you most likely have the TV set to stretch the picture. Anytime a SD picture is stretched to fit a 16/9 aspect screen it will not look the best. On the remote to my HD TV I have a veiw mode button and when I press it I c an change the display and or aspect settings. I prefer to watch most SD in it's original 4/3 aspect ratio. Hope this helps, DC

This may be more complicated than you can handle, since it involves knowing how each TV is hooked up, but...

If possible always use the best outputs available/acceptable to your TV. HDMI and component are both HD, though they can be set up incorrectly to output SD. Check that first with Menu - 6 - 8.

SD outputs include s-video, composite (yellow/red/white), and last and surely the least quality, is RF (coax) output. I have seen such crappy quality coming out of the RF outputs of my various dish Duo receivers, including my 625, that I gave up and put a receiver at each TV with the exception of the TV2 outputs of my 722 where I'm using the composite output (best available). Since you report that your 625 quality was acceptable, and that's only an SD receiver, then I suspect you were not using it's RF output, or else your 625 was better than mine.

You can record much more HD than you think. I don't care about local channels in SD. If I get them in HD then I don't want the centercut SD versions. I recorded over 15 hours of HD content and it only used about 5 hours of HD content space on my 612. MPEG-4 compresses great and you can fit much more then they say. Keeping a second dish for cruddy SD channels when you got the HD channels is stupid. The only reason to have a second dish with the EA is if you subscribe to International channels.

625 is SD

The 625 is an SD only unit. Really it sounds like you need an HD connection run to the new Sony or else it will be a pretty poor picture. Many HDTV's do a bad job of showing an SD picture, I think that is the problem you are having. Plus if you are stretching to fill the screen it will look even worse.

Ok so if I understand what you are saying. You had a 622 and a 510 for receivers with the 61.5, 110, and 119 satellite locations.

You then upgraded the dishes to 1000.4 and 119 and upgraded your 510 to a 722. This was so you could get the new HD channels on the 72 satellite.

Now you are saying that the SD picture has gotten worse on the 622 even though that receiver was not changed in setup with the TV's, other than the changes in satellite locations.

Is this all correct?

The 625 is an SD only unit. Really it sounds like you need an HD connection run to the new Sony or else it will be a pretty poor picture. Many HDTV's do a bad job of showing an SD picture, I think that is the problem you are having. Plus if you are stretching to fill the screen it will look even worse.

I think the person is confusing the 622 and 625.

Ok so if I understand what you are saying. You had a 622 and a 510 for receivers with the 61.5, 110, and 119 satellite locations.

You then upgraded the dishes to 1000.4 and 119 and upgraded your 510 to a 722. This was so you could get the new HD channels on the 72 satellite.

Now you are saying that the SD picture has gotten worse on the 622 even though that receiver was not changed in setup with the TV's, other than the changes in satellite locations.

Is this all correct?

Yes, it is right. Also I have second complain that with my old 622 my Sony 46" I had better picture quality in HD than I have now on the same Sony with 722K.

And about locals in SD or HD. My daughter is going to school and she is working 35 hours. It's means that she can have like 70 hours of local recording just in few days when she studies for the test and did not watch her TV. My son is starting his own life but he keeps his show recording on his old TV as he did not have anything on his own yet. So it can add up really quickly. This way they both need to use SD recording not HD.

The quality picture was the same bad even before second tech add dish for 119, so this is not problem with second dish. It can be cabling or splitters problem or something which I did not even know about.

I really appreciate everybody's help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)