Is this ok to install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

66mustang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Greeneville,TN
Bought a hard drive online and when it was shipped today it looked like the pic. Not sure if this was safe to install or not. 102_7409.JPG

Used?What do you plan on using it for?I have had a few that looked like that over the years,never had any issues.

Whats the date and or date code?Have you run a smart test on it?As long as it doesn't have any bad sectors it should be fine.

I haven't ran any test on it yet. I'm waiting for the RAM I ordered to get here before I done any test. The date on it is Dec. 2005.

I don't think I would put any valuable info on it.If your just using it for an old OS that would be ok.

It's an old desktop. Bought it in 2002. Just something my 10 year old can mess around with. I just upgraded my main desktop from Vista to 7 so I have a Vista disk just laying around.

It's an old desktop. Bought it in 2002. Just something my 10 year old can mess around with. I just upgraded my main desktop from Vista to 7 so I have a Vista disk just laying around.

That should be fine.Still I would run a smart test on it.

Look for a program called HDAT2. You can either download it direct and install it on a flash drive or find it on either Ultimate Boot CD or Hiren's Boot CD. HDAT2 will do a hard-scan of the sectors and remap any bad ones it finds. You'll have a visual representation of the drive's mapping which will show unused sectors, used sectors, bad sectors, and remapped sectors. Depending on the size of the hard disk, expect scan times of a couple of hours to a day or more. I use it primarily to get non-bootable systems with failing drives to boot again temporarily. It actually re-maps and rebuilds lost data. After that I can mirror the defective drive and replace with a new one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts