Is this where DISH is going to put HD LIL?

maljabir

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Saw this item on the Skyreport.com website:

This week, EchoStar won Federal Communications Commission approval to use a Telesat Canada satellite for delivery of services to customers in the United States.

Specifically, the FCC's International Bureau granted EchoStar's request for a blanket authorization allowing customers to receive programming via Ku-Band capacity on Telesat's Anik F3 spacecraft, which will be located at 118 degrees. The Telesat orbital slot is near EchoStar's satellites at 119 degrees. The DBS company also operates satellites at 110 degrees.

When approving the request, the bureau said use of the Telesat satellite will "improve the choice of service to consumers" in the U.S. pay-TV market. The FCC, in its order, said EchoStar plans to use the Anik F3 capacity to augment the spectrum it uses for its services, including expanded local-into-local, international, high def and other programming.

The FCC said Telesat plans to deploy Anik F3 in the second half of next year. In February 2004, Telesat's board of directors approved the satellite use deal with EchoStar.​

To me, this seems to be the sat that E* will use to launch new HD channels and HD LIL, not Echostar X. The key here is the sat's location at 118 degrees. A simple LNB add or swap and you're receiving four satellites from one Superdish. Maybe Scott or one of the other guys with more "insider" information can chime in and confirm my impression or provide more details.

News to me, I would asume that either this will become a modified superdish at the most and at the least a modified 1000. Its useless for me to ask anyone at my DNS office as they wont know, scotts our man to get the info from.

Dish is gathering up satellite resources all over the place. I suspect there will be a parade of superdishes to support LIL HD.

The actual location is 118.7 W and in addition, Dish has applied to the FCC to move AMC-16 to that location temporarily until the Anik F3 satellite is launched. This move has not been approved by the FCC as of yet. AMC-16 is a Ku/Ka band satellite owned by SES Americom but leased to Dish. It is currently located at 85 W but not being used at all. Some may recall that on some receivers there was a 119K location in the "Point Dish" sub menu pick that was most probably for this 118.7 W slot.

Dish also received approval recently from the FCC to build an extended Ku band satellite at the 109 W location. I believe extended Ku band has two or three times the bandwidth capacity of a regular Ku band slot such as the ones Dish uses at 105 W and 121 W.

In regards to HD, Dish can not wait until the second half of 06' for the Anik F3 satellite to be launched. Now if the FCC approves the move of AMC-16 to 118.7 W, then you may see some HD there probably HD LIL. Near term I believe Dish will use Rainbow-1 at 61.5 W and E-5 at 129 W for HD. Realize that Rainbow-1 has a massive amount of spotbeam capacity and was specifically designed to provide HD LIL. Now some of the TPs on Rainbow-1 will be used for national HD primarily the Voom channels but some of the Rainbow-1 TPs will be used for HD LILs using its spotbeams.

While most on this forum ignored the recent postings about the E-10 satellite, it also has a massive amount of spotbeam capacity. In fact, Dish may be able to remove all the SD locals from the 61.5, 105 and 121 locations and most of the SD locals from 148 W by using the E-10 spotbeams. All of these slots could be used for HD programming and space created at 61.5 W will allow Dish to use more of the Rainbow-1 spotbeams as any national HD programming can be moved to the freed up space on E-3. E-10 should also allow Dish to shutdown the spotbeams on the E-7 satellite at 119 W. I can see Dish freeing up 3 TPs at their 110/119 CONUS satellite slots for additional national programming including HD.

rocatman said:
I believe extended Ku band has two or three times the bandwidth capacity of a regular Ku band slot such as the ones Dish uses at 105 W and 121 W.

Actually they have 500 MHZ just the same as a regular Ku slot. The only real catch is that the Ku-AUX slot has only 250 MHZ uplink so they have to use 2 uplink centers to cover the 500MHZ. Note that they applied for (and I think the FCC already approved) that they divide the 500MHZ into 32 TP frequencies instead of the normal Ku-FSS 24. It does not mean more bandwidth, just more TPs over the same MHZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts