Is VOOM selling subscriber data to direct marketers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Since this thread has no valid point any way......

why do these companies waste so much money on these mailings? Are there actually people out there that take the time to read them before throwing them away? Worse yet, are there actually people out there that read and follow up on them. Hoping desperately to be the next big winner or eagerly awaiting their free Caribbean cruise tickets to arrive. Seems like a rather large waste of money on the senders part. Seeing as how the U.S. Postal Service is struggling to turn a profit maybe they should consider capitalizing on these mass mailing fools.

Just my two cents :)

In a word...yes...

These mailing can make money for the companies, that's why they do them in the first place. You'd be surprised at how many people respond to direct marketing.

I'd be surprised if you told me you've NEVER replied to ANYTHING you've gotten this way. I know I, occasionally, have. I did the other day as a matter of fact.

Just because someone mails something to your home or calls you out of the blue doesn't mean it isn't a good product/service and it also doesn't mean you don't need it.

The Rickster

I can say that I have never responded to any unsolicited mailings. Actually if I wanted to I could probably have about 65 different credit cards by now. It was kind of a rhetorical question. Someone obviously sees value in these mailings or they wouldn't do it. It just goes to show that there are a lot of people in this country and we are all more different then alike.

Obviously companies do get results from mass mailings otherwise they wouldn't do them. Even a one- or two-percent response rate probably makes it worth their while.

Spam is even worse. A spammer can send out 5,000,000 emails for free. Even a response rate of one-tenth of one percent gets them 5,000 leads. That's why they say the only way to stop spam is to start charging fees for email. And God help me, that's starting to sound good to me.

Talk about misusing personal information, last month I signed up to get VOOM (never did get it due to line-of-sight issues). I had to give the VOOM CSR the number of a "credit card not connected to a checking account" over the phone. Reluctantly I did. Two days later someone in the Seattle area started making unauthorized purchases using my credit card number. My credit card company flagged it immediately and canceled my card (Go Amex!). This is the first time that has happened to me in 25 years of using credit cards. I'm not saying VOOM is somehow responsible for this, but the timing is highly suspect.

Coincidence or rampant paranoia? You decide.

Well to say Voom is not using shady practices because they have it in writing is bogus.. Sure you should read the fine print but if you want the service then you have to agree.. Last I checked there is no... Well I like this and agree to section 1 but not section 2... So thanks for still setting me up. Its a take it or leave it sort of thing. At least so far the solicitation has remained satellite related.. Any company that wants to be thought of in high regards should NOT sell their user's information in the first place. No matter what they put in fine print. It about integrity and trust for the customer.

Or maybe you guys who read the fine print were able to get Voom without agreeing to the fine print??

I always said they could put the phrase "you will sell your soul to the devil if you agree" in the fine print and 98% of the world will still agree. WHY because they dont really care what it says. If you want the service you have zero choice.

njjeepguy said:
I got it too. Since it was geared to DirectTV I think it was Installs or the local installer selling the info.

I totally agree with this. :up And I got the same junk mail today.

I cannot understand V* or D* getting anything out of promoting a D* mag to a V* subscriber.

But I can understand a local installer (or Installs, Inc.) squeezing the last buck out of an install job by selling a V* lead to D*. :rolleyes:

I'm sure D* wasted their $$$ for the most part.

I'm bringing this thread back, because over the weekend, I received 4, yes FOUR of the same mail-out. So, this company will be receiving all FOUR of the return envelopes filled with uncooked macaroni from the mac and cheese box. :D

I wouldn't have done it if they had only sent me one, but FOUR? What's the point of that? Did they think, "You know, if he passes on the first three envelopes, he just might change his mind on the fourth copy." :rolleyes:

You know, receiving the mail doesn't bother me. It's the fact that they are cutting down miles and miles of trees to create this paper that just goes directly into the garbage can. Sure, recycling is my responsibility, but when do we start holding the mass-mailer companies responsible for originating this mess?

I did opt out.

I received the subscription come-on the very same day that I received my first VOOM bill. (Which incidentally did not include the credit for the Sears "kit.")

When I called VOOM about the credit, and a service related issue, I asked about the direct marketing. The CSR seemed to have no idea about it, and acted surprised that VOOM would link up with something like that.

Seeing the same thing repeated here in the forums tends to confirm my suspicion of their involvement.

Of more disturbing concern is that the come-on was addressed to me as a new Direct-TV subscriber. Oy! Like I need that trouble. Last thing I need is the Shysters at Direct-TV thinking I have any connection to their service.

(Intentional mispelling of Direct-TV)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)