issue with sling adapter and android phone

your android is probably getting the feed relayed to it through Dish/Sling, rather than getting a feed directly from the receiver as your computer would do. When the stream has to go up to the Dish/Sling servers to come back to you on your phone's wi-fi, its limited to the upload speed on your internet connection, and anything else you have going on at the same time.

what was the quality setting set to?

and do you have a bandwidth monitor within the pages of your Gateway Devices' configuration pages?

dd-wrt-bw.jpg

Its one of the first ways I found that *certain assertions* of *certain people* ;) were not correct about how the SlingAdapter in-home worked..

On PC's & Mac's there are log and configuration files... and inside those you can find evidence that proves the streams *can* be handled in different ways.. it was one user (not sure if here or on DishSupport) that also monitored their connections (even more so than i) and he found his Iphone and Ipad stream did in fact leave his network and come back in.. but others have posted they don't see those conditions ..

so.. best way to know is having the ability to watch traffic .. in my case that's DD-WRT running on my gateway router ... I also run it on my bridges, and love watching the traffic at X megs from one point to another to out the gateway or what not... I know... kinda geeky :)

its set to standerd. could it be the because of the android phone I'm using it on.

edit: I have a netgear 300 wireless n router if that helps. works fine on my wifi conected laptop

Last edited:
the laptop though should be going directly between the laptop and the receiver .. only the administrivia then, goes outside the network to Dish/Sling .. things like authorization, optimizations, commands (pause/play/channel/etc) ...

The only way to know for sure if its leaving your network to relay back to the phone, would be to monitor bandwidth and look for traffic patterns, or logging directly on the netgear to show that a the data is going out and back in..

On the status page of the router's web interface, there may be a "statistics" option.. that might be able to show you the amount of traffic in/out/wireless/lan ..etc.. and with nothing else in use ... if you see about as much wan activity as you do wifi / lan activity ... that would suggest it may be a relay too..

(sorry this is late, I'd typed last night but didn't hit send, fell asleep) :)

I agree with Dish and TG2. This sounds like a network problem though I don't have the skills to fix these type situations, I can only make educated guesses based what is written.

Do you wonder why the "Nerd Squad" makes so many millions for Best Buy? Call them and ask for an estimated cost to have a nerd come to your house and fix it. Just make sure you're sitting down.

I know one person with that phone but he isn't a Dish customer so I can't reach out.

It was only my original Droid that drove me crazy for two years until I qualified for an upgrade. In general day to day performance it was very flaky. Different things on different days or even weeks. I think I got to try Dishonline once or twice and it didn't work for sh**, but that could have been because it was very soon after the release of the app and it was a pretty old version of Android too.

If you have a spare router that can run DD-WRT you could get a lot of information ... or if you had a HUB that you could use (yes a Hub not a switch unless it supports a monitor mode) You'd watch for the traffic to see where its going .. that way you'd know..

TG2 said:
If you have a spare router that can run DD-WRT you could get a lot of information ... or if you had a HUB that you could use (yes a Hub not a switch unless it supports a monitor mode) You'd watch for the traffic to see where its going .. that way you'd know..
It's so cool when you talk jargon.

What's a DD-WRT?

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

I wouldn't say overrides .. I'd call it Router 2.0 :) ..
or upgraded firmware .. just like upgrading a PC from XP to Windows 7

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

to the "path" issue .. 1) dynamic .. the plugins can change config each time they run (ie. local or relay, etc) 2) was the other phone identical or was it newer or faster, etc.. I could see if not the same phone having a better ability .. but if the same model of phone.. then it would suggest something else running on the phone too could be cause for poor performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)