Issues Surrounding CUI Update

If you're just going by your budget then it makes sense for you. If you actually look at what that price is giving you then you'd see you're paying a lot more money for that outdated 772k. You get SO much more for an extra $5 a month with the H3. If it doesn't fit your budget then that's the really the only thing that matters but if you look at the things you spend $5 on every day you'd see that you're getting a lot more for your money.

Just one way to look at it.
Well, if I want independent viewing on a second TV, I would also have to add a Joey for $7 per month. So, that would be an additional $12 per month in fees, for a total of $22 per month, more than doubling my current $10 per month DVR fee. When I see new customers getting the newest equipment with a DVR fee of only $10 per month, and now they also get a discount on the Joey fees, it just rubs me the wrong way that I can't get that price as an existing customer. So, I refuse to upgrade to H3 until Dish starts charging everyone the same price. Just one way to look at it.

Reactions: ekilgus
Well, if I want independent viewing on a second TV, I would also have to add a Joey for $7 per month. So, that would be an additional $12 per month in fees, for a total of $22 per month, more than doubling my current $10 per month DVR fee. When I see new customers getting the newest equipment with a DVR fee of only $10 per month, and now they also get a discount on the Joey fees, it just rubs me the wrong way that I can't get that price as an existing customer. So, I refuse to upgrade to H3 until Dish starts charging everyone the same price. Just one way to look at it.

There's nothing stopping you from playing hard ball with them. Instead of telling us what you feel they should be offering why not call them up and tell them. Get the retention department on the phone and tell them that you want an upgrade an discounted price or else you're switching providers. If you're a long term customer I think they should give you a good deal and if they don't then it's their loss. You can always drop Dish for a service that doesn't have a contract and after a couple months you can sign back up with Dish and get all those new customer promotions. Just an option.

Reactions: charlesrshell
There's nothing stopping you from playing hard ball with them. Instead of telling us what you feel they should be offering why not call them up and tell them. Get the retention department on the phone and tell them that you want an upgrade an discounted price or else you're switching providers. If you're a long term customer I think they should give you a good deal and if they don't then it's their loss. You can always drop Dish for a service that doesn't have a contract and after a couple months you can sign back up with Dish and get all those new customer promotions. Just an option.
Here is the phone number I have for the Retention's office that I have. Not sure if a good number or not.

Not for me. I am still under contract from the Renewal Offer on programming until October 2018. I am definitely not going to pay that early cancellation fee if I can help it. The Renewal Offer itself is kind of my point: if Dish can offer existing customers the same price on programming that new customers pay, with the same price-lock, then why can't the same principle apply to the equipment fees?

Here is the phone number I have for the Retention's office that I have. Not sure if a good number or not.
I saw the number that you posted in another thread. I called that number to order a Wally and get free shipping, since DIRT didn't include the S&H in the price they originally quoted me, and DIRT couldn't waive the shipping when I followed up to try to order the Wally later.

Not for me. I am still under contract from the Renewal Offer on programming until October 2018. I am definitely not going to pay that early cancellation fee if I can help it. The Renewal Offer itself is kind of my point: if Dish can offer existing customers the same price on programming that new customers pay, with the same price-lock, then why can't the same principle apply to the equipment fees?

All you can do is ask them and if they don't you already know your options. If it fits your budget the added benefits of the H3 are certainly worth the price for many. If it doesn't fit your budget then you just have to stay put I guess.

Yesterday was my first time at my parents' house since they got the new update on their original hoppers and joeys . It looks nicer but it is unbelievable how much slower it made the box operate. Even my mom, who is one of the least tech concerned people I know, is complaining about this software update.

They also have a weird DVR issue. The first time you go into an show to see your list of recorded episodes it never loads up. They just get the boxes moving across the screen to show you that it's loading but nothing ever happens. They have to hit cancel and try again and it works on the second attempt. This is happening to them every time they try to watch any show with more than a couple episodes recorded.

They are also starting to experience signal issues. For some reason their installer picked a spot on their roof where the dish aims directly over a maple tree even though he could have moved it 15 feet in either direction and had a clear line of sight. When he installed it several years ago the tree wasn't causing signal issues and it was also fine during the winter but now that the leaves have grown in for the summer they get constant signal drops on any windy day.

I tried to get them to schedule an appointment to upgrade to a Hopper 3 and have their Dish moved but my mom is stubborn. She was happy with the original Hopper and doesn't want to sign a new contract for something she didn't want just because they screwed up the old one. My parents have been with Dish for over 10 years but she is saying that if she has to take a day off work to wait for an installer anyways she might as well switch to the Charter double play and save some money.

Even my mom, who is one of the least tech concerned people I know, is complaining about this software update.

I know there are a lot of folks here up in arms (and rightly so, from the sounds) over just how bad this killed performance of the H1...and this is just discussion within the SatGuys population. Its not unusual for us techies to get riled up, but interesting to hear about the less tech-oriented folks getting worked up, too. It would be interesting to know the level of backlash Dish is getting from the overall subscriber base as a whole.

I know there are a lot of folks here up in arms (and rightly so, from the sounds) over just how bad this killed performance of the H1...and this is just discussion within the SatGuys population. Its not unusual for us techies to get riled up, but interesting to hear about the less tech-oriented folks getting worked up, too. It would be interesting to know the level of backlash Dish is getting from the overall subscriber base as a whole.
From reading the Dish support forum it seems they are getting a LOT of negative comments/complaints from the "everyday" user. Stupid move, they don't need to be losing any more customers.

Reactions: pattykay
There's complaining on Dish's FB page too. One person complained about the interface/design and the DIRT response was to point out the 'improvements' that came along with the new interface. Another person (not the only one) complained about how slow the interface is now and got this response:
We've had some feedback about the delay in response time, and we've reported that issue to our engineering department for further review.
That gets reviewed by someone in the software engineering group, who rolls their eyes and mutters "we said the older Hoppers weren't powerful enough to run this software, but nooooooooo, no one listened" and checks off the "No current solution" box. :p

How do you tell what generation Hopper you have?

OK I'm new to this....
Look at the front of your Hopper. If it says Hopper 3 and red racing pin strip it is a H3. If it says Hopper with Sling it is a HWS or H2. I don't know what the original Hopper says but it is a H1.

Last edited:
All you can do is ask them and if they don't you already know your options. If it fits your budget the added benefits of the H3 are certainly worth the price for many. If it doesn't fit your budget then you just have to stay put I guess.

Not trying to stir the pot, but just what benefits are there with H3 over the HWS....other than the 16 tuners?

Not trying to stir the pot, but just what benefits are there with H3 over the HWS....other than the 16 tuners?

It's been a while since I've had the HWS so I don't remember which features they both share. The 16 tuners is huge and the multi screen is HD is awesome. It's also very smooth and fast.

The Hopper 3 is light years better than any of the other receivers. As soon as you hit the button to do something its done. The Video On Demand is super fast compared to the other units. The joeys have a little lag to them but its not bad at all.

Once you use the hopper3 you will never want to go back to anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)