It pays to factory reset!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
I hope I'm not tempting fate by writing this..but, if you were so bored as to search my posts of a few years and a few seasons, you'd see me with the same problem now and then...flaky performance of both my MicroHD Amiko mini HD receivers. Basically, now and then the existing channels would disappear, sometimes a reboot would bring them back, sometimes not.

Warm weathers coming, so tonight, in preparation, when this happened, I thought I'd try the radical. I told my Amiko mini HD to do a factory reset, erasing all the data ever scanned in. Since a few of my dishes are fixed and we use a high quality diseqc switch, I thought, "why not!" What can it hurt!

Honestly? The results were surprising. I know that many instructions in our hobby say to do this, just like wiping a windows computer now and then for better performance. What I can report, be it coincidence, or my finally having patience to do this....is that I have had NO problems scanning in the satellites' channels one by one and with great success. Even the weaker channels like e-scapes now scan in after the proper transponder is entered into memory. I was never able to get this one to lock before, tonight it has low Q, but locking beautifully.

Perhaps there really IS something to erasing old, possibly wrong or corrupt programming before trying to get your channels rescanned. Perhaps once a year it's good. I don't know. What I DO know is, I'm back to loving my FTA again, and all that SHOULD be left to do is order a Titanium dish mover to help me get my birdview actually moving easier. Oh, and installing the PLL C-band with wimax filter on the movable Birdview as well.

And, this result makes me want to get the additional (2) birdviews mounted and aimed. Only one needs to move, the others can be fixed positions.

It's nice being back in the mood with good weather to work on FTA. Perhaps others will want to do what I did....(making sure of course you know what your satellite positions are).

Perhaps reset did nothing, and it's all just "happening" tonight. I have no idea, but I'll err on the side of believing in factory resets from now-on before blaming other physical things for channel issues.

Feeling: Accomplished! (with more to scan tomorrow. )
YES!!!!!

But then, I see the 'blip" that Escapes is stopping it's "over the air" broadcast April 30th and moving to free apps for Roku, and other platforms. At least it'll still EXIST. No way can it look as good, however in my opinion...when this ends. I'm assuming their term "over the air" means satellite to cable delivery. Never heard of it being a "sub channel" anywhere, but wish it was.

At least the channel serves to be a good "weak" tune-in for judging system performance til the end of the month.

Last edited:
So, "the morning after".....signals were dark, but a clue emerges, perhaps. All the great progress seemed lost. Black "no signal" screens on the fixed-position satellites. THEN....I told the system to move the Birdview to another satellite. After the move, ALL the signals programmed in last night work. Until it sits awhile again. It's almost like the positioner is stopping the diseqc signal from getting where it needs to be unless you wake up the box, make one move, then even the fixed ones work. Seems odd, but it seems the only variable, too. Is this possible? Any input appreciated. Yes, I need the new Titanium box...which should swap in fairly well with a little help. Being at this AM station, our sensor doesn't run on 5 volts, it runs via a rotary encoder at a higher voltage provided by an external interface box.

The BIG question to me is, can a positioner block disecq signals for any reason until after it's activated once? Maybe the feed-through really isn't so straight and goes through some circuitry? It's a cheap box.

I'm also beginning to wonder if there's some general T-I in my area that is more prevalent in the daytime...
Today it's bypass the positioner day, leaving all dishes fixed on their settings to see if that stops the problem from occuring. If yes, we have a connection issue through the box. If not, it's maybe some damaged cabling, T-I, or something I have no idea how to find.

I'm sure my new satellite meter/device will come in handy with this problem..but input from others will help even more.

Don't tease me about the dust on the box, please. Maid's year off.
dusty positioner.jpg

DiSEqC switches should hold the last command for port selection until power is removed or a new string is received. The DiSEqC switch doesn't need signal at all times to stay in the selected position like a 22KHz switch requires to activate the 22K-ON port.

With your location RFI issues, it wouldn't surprise me if the switch doesn't operate as designed. Maybe try another switch, brand or model? Ground the switch to a bonded ground.

Worst case scenario, install a remote manually controlled coax switch.

DiSEqC switches should hold the last command for port selection until power is removed or a new string is received. The DiSEqC switch doesn't need signal at all times to stay in the selected position like a 22KHz switch requires to activate the 22K-ON port.

With your location RFI issues, it wouldn't surprise me if the switch doesn't operate as designed. Maybe try another switch, brand or model? Ground the switch to a bonded ground.

Worst case scenario, install a remote manually controlled coax switch.

Does your positioner re-create the diseqc commands? I see the online literature read as if it could pass through or re-create internally from the commands it gets from the receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)