Its Not Just Dish...

Sounds Exactly like your defending Dish.

If you weren't you would have never brought up the word Dish in this topic, or put it in the Dish network Forum.;)

I beg to differ. I don't see this as Scott defending Dish. I see this as letting us know that as DIsh subs we are not the only ones that face the problem of loosing programming over higher fees. I would have to say that Time Warner, in this instance, is certainly being proactive in informing customers of the issues and asking for their input, something Dish really doesn't do.

I realize that bringing programing to the end user costs money. I don't have a problem paying a fair price, what ever that may be. I always have the choice of going elsewhere or putting up an antenna. The thing that really gripes me is that few of the non broadcast networks, if any (I'm not counting the movie channels), are commercial free, and commercial breaks are getting longer and longer (up to 4 minutes at a pop in many cases). They are really nothing more than broadcast networks without local station affiliation to rebroadcast their programing. WIthout the "pay" TV companies they wouldn't exist. So maybe it is time for the cable/satellite companies to band together over this particular issue. If they all put their collective foot down maybe just maybe companies like Disney wouldn't be trying to hold them hostage?

I say add Full time RSN's and don't worry about Disney, just my opinon.

Ross

As long as Disney is paying that overrated piece of crap know as Chris Berman mult-millions of dollars just for jamming down our throats his incredibly stupid, IQ reducing, make you want to cut your ears off, nick-name giving and "back, back, back" routine., then I'll stand behind any provider drawing the line with Disney.

Why should I have to pay more for their channels just because they're incredibly stupid enough to pay Berman and some of the other boneheads at ESPN mucho bucks?

Last edited:
Dish wanted to keep them on during negotiations. Sound like Dish didn't get much notice of them being pulled, either.

Dish had plenty of notice the day the filed the lawsuit against disney for ESPNU instead of trying to renegotate things in good faith.

That argument could go on all day.
No reason I should have to pay E* twice for the same channels.;)

No reason I should have to pay twice as much for addtional 722'
No reason I should have to pay to shipping twice on leased receivers.;);)

No reason charlie should have been charging his coustomers for HD if the channels were free. (that's double dipping) Why should I pay charlie my bills if He cant pay his? HD should not be free for life now, It should have allways been free for life! The cost of launching these channels are just a normal part of buisness, just like the cost of replacing satellites.

And Disney has responded with their own website [URL="http://www.ihavechoices.com/" said:
I Have Choices - As fans of ESPN and ABC, you should know the facts[/URL]

Did you see that if you go to this site they give you alternate providers
Look whose missing.

Yea thats funny. I dont think dish would be in this situation if the never filed the lawsuite. Because of the lawsuite, that had a cause and effect. Disney got tougher. I think Time Warner came along and was pulling charlie like tatics, and Disney said fine, well do it to you too.

But then again Disney could be gready, They have to make money too.

You do have a point there, and ultimately that reputation has hurt DISH and in reality the rates between DISH and DIRECTV are still about the same...

Dish has created this monster. They have pulled channels more than any other provider out there than I can remember. Its crap like this is whats driving cosutomers away, including the attitude that we dont have to listen to coustomers and give them the channels they want. I dont think I will ever sub to dish again, and if anyone asks me, I'm telling them to run away. Its time for Charlie to hang up the gloves and sell dish off to ATT or a 3rd party. Hell give me Dish and Ill do wonders with it!

Yep, the difference in the cost is about the same but you have a company that drops channels and the other doesn't. I'm sure Directv has had their contract disputes but they handle it better so it doesn't affect their customers.

WHAT???? Oh how quickly people forget.
I went with dish because Versus was not available on Direct. That dispute went for about 6 months, no?
Direct lost a sale because this channel was not available at the time.

There is no perfect solution... whatever suits your needs best.

Other than versus name a channel that directv has dropped....... None!

I can name a bunch that Dish has dropped, like Viacom, Disney, Voom, and Comcast related networks!

Point proven!

Disney's true colors have now come out, they do have a dark side. All this time, I thought the name Disney meant the Happiest place on earth, guess not. The almighty dollar can be blamed for all these issues, sad.

Ultimatly Dish started this monster with the lawsuite. If they feel they were fairly wronged, renegotate for a better deal, or if it comes down to it (at a very very last resort then enforce the contract in court. Until then man up, woirk a deal and leave the coustomers out of it.

You must not have Kids.:) My kids have been bugging me from day 1.

Mine too, Also its been so hot outside that the kids have been staying indoors as I dont want them getting deydrated.

well most of those "dropped" channels came back a short while later

Its been almost a month. That short timeframe has done and passed.

How about a nicer word like "collective barganing", the union way?

Yes, you're correct, unions definitely have monopoly power but the law has granted them that right. The economic rationale is debatable (I knew a guy in graduate school who wrote a series of papers on why unions shouldn't be allowed monopoly power any more than corporations should) but it is ingrained in our society, presumably because of the history of abuses of labor by corporations (even conservatives acknowledge that much).

Other than versus name a channel that directv has dropped....... None!

I can name a bunch that Dish has dropped, like Viacom, Disney, Voom, and Comcast related networks!

Point proven!

Ya know, goaliebob, I actually agree with most of your points.... however, in my house, no VS is a deal breaker.
My $$$ for the equipment, my subscription, my choice of who has the channels I want... What's your point, Bob? I'm a DN customer.
While I don't approve of losing channels, nothing that dish has lost would make me want to switch... (yet...) Seems to me that if dish is not the only one having disputes, there is likely SOME reason to question if underhanded tactics are happening on both sides of the negotiating table.

D* has VS.

YES HD, Smithsonian,ESPN News HD, ESPNU HD, $33 in fees alone for my 5 room system and 3-5 Price increases a Year are Deal Breakers for me.

I agree with you about the fees, but I am sure that both DirecTV and Dish Network will have a price increase next year, they always do. The funny thing is that Charlie's hard bargaining never seems to yield much in the way of no rate increases for customers. Perhaps he pockets the money

LMAO

But then again Disney could be gready
I dont think I will ever sub to dish again, and if anyone asks me, I'm telling them to run away. Its time for Charlie to hang up the gloves and sell dish off to ATT or a 3rd party. Hell give me Dish and Ill do wonders with it!

This is really funny stuff Bob. :haha:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha

I agree with you about the fees, but I am sure that both DirecTV and Dish Network will have a price increase next year, they always do. The funny thing is that Charlie's hard bargaining never seems to yield much in the way of no rate increases for customers. Perhaps he pockets the money
In 3 years with E* this has been the worst year with the number of Price increases . D* has a 3-5 dollar per year increase. Thats well known. E* price increases can happen more then once and no one knows when , and yet they still can't seem to keep channels.

Last edited:
Hemi 6.1 said:
Whats Funny is Time warner is obviously giving its customers over a months notice, How much notice did Dish Network customers get?

I'm sure cable companies would prefer to keep their negotiations quiet and not make any public statements until a dispute reaches the point where a channels is going to get removed. However, cable is subject to different/more regulations than satellite, and cable must provide public notice well in advance of dropping a channel for any reason.

I used to be a Time Warner subscriber when I lived in Astoria, from 1999 until 2003. Either in May 1999 or May 2000, I remember it was during last week of the sweeps, Time Warner stopped carrying NYC ABC and I believe it took almost 1 week for the situation to be resolved - I remember I had to buy rabbit ears to watch the celebrity Who wants to be a millionaire...
I also remember that it took Cablevision 1 year until they started carrying YES network.
While I was with Comcast from 2005 until April 2009, I don't recall Comcast ever pulled any channels - but their HD offering at the time was so far inferior to anyone else's, plus all their HD compression at the time, that once Dish became an option in my building, I switched on the spot.
I have to say, Dish is by far the provider that I had that pulled the most channels and, to make matters worse, The Weather Channel is the only channel that I recall that Dish network brought back - they haven't brought back GolTv and things aren't looking good at all, imho, for these Disney HD channels and Fuse... That said, Dish is the only provider available to me that carries FSC and BBC in HD and not having those in HD now would be huge deal breakers for me, so I'll remain a Dish subscriber for now - I guess until my little 8-month one becomes, say, a 4-5 year old and start to ask for Disney in HD - by then, hey, who knows, it all might be available online anyways....

, The Weather Channel is the only channel that I recall that Dish network brought back ....
And Dropped Weather Cast in the process, A channel added and Dropped 2 days later.

And then Puts up a notice that the Weather channel and Dish are working on a Local weather channel, Just so customers wouldn't be as pissed. Well it was also supposed to be here this month, You got less then 2 weeks Charlie.:)

D* has VS.
Sure they do... now.. they did not during the entire time it took me to decide which service I wanted to invest in. Which was SEVERAL months.
Hey, I'm glad you found a better solution for you. Let's keep it real here though, it's not just dish having issues. What was the original title of this thread again???

Sure they do... now.. they did not during the entire time it took me to decide which service I wanted to invest in. Which was SEVERAL months.
Hey, I'm glad you found a better solution for you. Let's keep it real here though, it's not just dish having issues. What was the original title of this thread again???
Dish is doing it by far the most!

If you want to keep it real.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts