'jerky' picture (Dropping frames?)

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Sat down and began watching a movie on MGMHD tonight. I noticed that the movie seems a bit jerky...like it was dropping frames.

Thought it might just be the channel/movie but now I'm watching David Letterman (locals) and it's even worse. Flipping through the channels it appears to be an issue with everything.

Anyone else noticing this? Any theories?

More details: on closer look I'm getting both dropped frames AND a shaky picture (entire picture shifting by one or two pixels constantly).

I've had Dish for a few months and this just started (AFAIK) tonight. This is a 722, btw.

None of the actual Dish menu screens are shaking...so this appears to definitely be a signal/compression issue rather than a connection between the receiver and TV issue.

More details: on closer look I'm getting both dropped frames AND a shaky picture (entire picture shifting by one or two pixels constantly).

I've had Dish for a few months and this just started (AFAIK) tonight. This is a 722, btw.

None of the actual Dish menu screens are shaking...so this appears to definitely be a signal/compression issue rather than a connection between the receiver and TV issue.

I've had the same thing going on at random on my 622, but I've mostly only noticed it on the Chiller channel (199), when I'm watching recordings from that channel. It's been only going on maybe a couple months. Possibly only since the new software downloaded. It goes on for a minute or two, then quits.

I have never yet caught it happening LIVE, but I don't watch very much live shows, almost always recording them first.

Answer some questions, please?

What is your signal quality reading when this happens?

On which satellites/transponders?

On all receivers?

How long has this happened?

How long have you had Dish?

What is the temperature range of your 722?

highdefjeff... good questions.

Well, it's not happening tonight, so we'll see if it happens again and I'll try and log some answers to those questions.

I don't think it's due to recording another station...it was doing that tonight with no jerky picture.

I'm having the exact same problem. I've been seeing the jerky motion occasionally since last Dec. More recently, I'm also sometimes seeing the bottom half of the picture move sideways by one or two pixels for a split-second. I see it only on HD channels, mainly TBS, ABC, and TNT. I've seen it on both satellite (129) and OTA stations. I have a 722. It happens both when I'm watching TV live as well as on recordings. It was really bad on my recording of Lost last night. If the problem shows up once in a show, it will repeat itself, anywhere from once every few minutes to every few seconds. Oddly, though, it never seems to show up during the commercials. It's not the TV because I've hooked my box up to different TVs and seen the same problem. I've called Dish tech support and they had no explanation. Just had me go through a routine on the box to make sure I was getting the best possible signal from all three satellites. My signal strengths were anywhere from adequate to very good, according to the rep. Next step he said would be to have a tech come out and try to peak my dish, which I guess I'll do. But I wonder if the problem isn't in the box itself?

There's a 'jerky' picture showing up HERE that everyone on this site can pickup. I don't what's going on, but I heard that it's not that bad once you get used to it. Suprisingly, you actually will prefer it to the standard version.

I'm having the exact same problem. I've been seeing the jerky motion occasionally since last Dec. More recently, I'm also sometimes seeing the bottom half of the picture move sideways by one or two pixels for a split-second. I see it only on HD channels, mainly TBS, ABC, and TNT. I've seen it on both satellite (129) and OTA stations. I have a 722. It happens both when I'm watching TV live as well as on recordings. It was really bad on my recording of Lost last night. If the problem shows up once in a show, it will repeat itself, anywhere from once every few minutes to every few seconds. Oddly, though, it never seems to show up during the commercials. It's not the TV because I've hooked my box up to different TVs and seen the same problem. I've called Dish tech support and they had no explanation. Just had me go through a routine on the box to make sure I was getting the best possible signal from all three satellites. My signal strengths were anywhere from adequate to very good, according to the rep. Next step he said would be to have a tech come out and try to peak my dish, which I guess I'll do. But I wonder if the problem isn't in the box itself?

What ARE your "adequate to very good" signal readings?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)