Joey 2 Firmware upgrade to U270

garywiley

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Sequim, WA
This morning my Joey 2's were upgraded to U270. I have not noticed any changes. I am hopefull my Hopper 3 will get an update soon and correct my missing external drive problem.

We got U270 today also. I had to put in the Netflix userid and password - apparently that got wiped out during the software download.

Is it new when you use the 10-second back or 30-second forward that the overlay says

10 secs
Hold for rewind

?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I now have an electronic voice asking me questions on my Joey on our bedroom TV, LOL Didn't get a chance to check the living room TV hooked up to Hopper 3 due to that damn going to work thing

How long has the 52 remote been available ? Shows some short-sightedness in the design of that remote, with it lacking dedicated rewind and fast-forward buttons. Interesting that Dish put more focus on 30-second skip-ahead and 10-second back buttons/functions.

How long has the 52 remote been available ? Shows some short-sightedness in the design of that remote, with it lacking dedicated rewind and fast-forward buttons. Interesting that Dish put more focus on 30-second skip-ahead and 10-second back buttons/functions.
Essentially the 52 remote does have dedicated rewind and fast forward buttons. You simply press and hold the skips to activate it.... If you didn't know it was there it would be easy to overlook...

I now have an electronic voice asking me questions on my Joey on our bedroom TV, LOL Didn't get a chance to check the living room TV hooked up to Hopper 3 due to that damn going to work thing
Great. More features that we didn't ask for instead of critical bug fixes and features that were promised but never implemented (external drives, Netflix, OTA, PIP on 4K Joey, ....................). Shows where their focus is (and is not): features rule, bug fixes don't matter.

Reactions: Chuck Summers
Great. More features that we didn't ask for instead of critical bug fixes and features that were promised but never implemented (external drives, Netflix, OTA, PIP on 4K Joey, ....................). Shows where their focus is (and is not): features rule, bug fixes don't matter.

I believe that the voice and 'Accessibility' are mandated by the government and must be available soon. Not sure of the date but it might be 1/1/2017.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/21st-century-communications-and-video-accessibility-act-cvaa

OK, let's use the terminology 'multipurpose...' :)
Don't get me wrong, I personally am okay with the remote as-is. I actually read the remote manual !

We were at the in-laws at Thanksgiving and they have Time Warner. Ever seen one of their remotes ? They are terrible - the buttons -- all 60+ of them, yes, I counted them -- are super-squishy and unresponsive. I do wish the 52 remote didn't have that 'click' sound when pressing the buttons though. It's barely noticeable until you're in a quiet room, such as the bedroom.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I believe that the voice and 'Accessibility' are mandated by the government and must be available soon.
Requires user controls for TVs and other video programming devices to be accessible to people who are blind or visually impaired, and requires TVs and other video programming devices to have a button, key, icon, or comparable mechanism designated for activating closed captioning and video description.
How does Dish accomplish this with a 52 remote ? If someone brings it up, they send them a 40.0 remote, I'll bet !
Requires on-screen text menus and program guides displayed on TV by set-top boxes to be accessible to people who are blind or visually impaired
Is this where the 'voice' or speech is coming from ? Mine doesn't do it. It's no doubt a user-configurable option but on Chuck Summers' box it's enabled by default ?

Reactions: JSheridan
Just checked now that I'm home.... There's an "Accessibility" menu in the Settings menu. Everything was OFF by default too.

I enabled two of the four settings or tried them. Can't remember what the first one was called (or what it did) but do remember the text-to-speech one. It is horrible ! The voice synthesis must be from the 80s or something. I tried it in the program guide... First, it tells you which key you press on the remote. Then, I moved to "Gold Rush" in the guide and it read:

8 o'clock to 9 o'clock
Gold Rush
disc
1-8-2
(then it reads the program description)

It is so bad, that's all I checked before turning it off. I guess you get spoiled by "OK, Google" and/or "Siri".

Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)