Joey 3.0 and hopper with Sling Questions

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I have a Hopper with Sling and 2 Joey 2.0s. I have heard confliciting stories about whether I could upgrade the Joey 2.0s to Joey 3.0s. Can I do this and would there be any capability or performance benefits?

Please advise.

Does the Joey 3.0 work with the Hopper with Sling?

I had mine connected to my HWS for about a week and a half before they installed my Hopper 3, it worked fine. They upgraded me to the J3 because I was going to a Hopper 3. I am not sure if they will install a J3 with a HWS normally, maybe someone else knows for sure.

I don't see why not, but that is a question for Dish Tech Support as I have an H3 and A J3.

The joey 3 works with all the Hoppers, even the Hopper 2000, BUT Dish is restricting pairing of them now, and on another bender pushing Joey 1's with Hopper 2K's and Hopper /Sling installs...

I feel dirty knowing I'm giving people a slow dinosaur.... ugh

Thanks that explains a lot. It sounds like DISH CSRs gave me erroneous but they may have been instructed to do so.

Last edited:
One way to make sure you get the combination of equipment you want is to purchase your equipment. Dish is a lot less strict about what combinations of purchased equipment they allow on the same account, compared to leased equipment. The other advantage of purchasing a Joey is that you can easily deactivate it any time you are not using it, to save money by dropping that monthly $7 fee.

One way to make sure you get the combination of equipment you want is to purchase your equipment. Dish is a lot less strict about what combinations of purchased equipment they allow on the same account, compared to leased equipment. The other advantage of purchasing a Joey is that you can easily deactivate it any time you are not using it, to save money by dropping that monthly $7 fee.
Good to know, I believe I saw the Joey 3 available from Amazon for around $60.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)