This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Joey 3

It may have changed recently but I'm positive that as of just a few months ago, yes, customers were still getting H1s. What model new customers get is credit-based - very good to excellent credit gets customers an H3, average credit gets an H2, and lower credit gets an H1. I think that pre-paid customers would get H1s as well.

One fellow member here as pointed out that in many cases, even the H1 is better than what people may be used to coming from different cable providers and the hardware they may use. We have Time Warner over 10 years ago and they are still supplying the same HD-DVR that we had back then ! That would be 921 era for Dish ! We actually left Dish because that (the 921) was the only HD-DVR they offered and you had to buy it outright at $999. We had a 522, then 625, with Dish when we bought our first HDTV and switched to Time Warner in order to get an HD-DVR.

I believe it’s been posted here that the H1 now only goes to pre-paid accounts.

Are you sure they’re still doing H1 on new installs. I could be wrong, but I thought I read they were doing H2 at the minimum now.
Bad credit and pay as you go get Hopper 2000's.....unfortunately.

They SAY, it's because there's millions of dollars of equipment out there that needs to be used. I say it's all been refurbished multiple times and paid for itself long ago

Bad credit and pay as you go get Hopper 2000's.....unfortunately.

They SAY, it's because there's millions of dollars of equipment out there that needs to be used. I say it's all been refurbished multiple times and paid for itself long ago

I would love to be in the room if it was suggested to Charlie and Jim DeFranco that they should throw away all those Hopper 1's and Joey 1's.

I would love to be in the room if it was suggested to Charlie and Jim DeFranco that they should throw away all those Hopper 1's and Joey 1's.

Well, being that the only major difference between J1 and J2 is the ram/processor(single soc chip) they could reuse the J1 boards and swap the soc for the J2 soc’s and send them out as a Joey 2. Same might be possible with the H2K.

Mainly because of a format change in the transmissions from the satellites that saves them money. You must not know know Charlie and Jim.
No, I know you're right. Mostly just wishful thinking that they'd scrap their junk....

Sheridan is right. Not to mention the cost of having them shipped in. I see them hanging on as long as possible. Hell, the 622 has been out since what, 2006? And it’s just now making its way out.

They actually DID do away with 622's for awhile and once they realized what a fail the 922 was, they started creating work orders to replace defective 922's with 622's... smh. Half of the 622's I've had to install either had HD failure or went into Boot Strap Recovery right out of the box

Reactions: littlecloud319
The 922 (after the first few months like any other new model) was actually a darn good receiver.

Reactions: HipKat
I wonder how many tuners the hopper 4 will have? Lets say they go for double and they do 32 tuners? While they are at it , lets come out with a 4 tuner ota usb dongle. Then you could record up to 39 shows at a time using all the tuners at the same time: 31 regular sat tuners + 1 sat tuner that records 4 sat locals+ 4 ota channels at the same time= 39 shows . I bet no other dvr could do all that.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don’t see them leaving the 16 tuners, atleast not for awhile. I do see them implementing something such as a built in AppleTV or built in Roku or something of the nature. That’s where they’ll really gain some attention. If and only if they also get access to the apps.

I have a hopper2 and a 622 both are sitting in the basement I really like my 922 .

I could see them leaving the 16 tuners, but implementing a version of PTAT for national channels. That could mean the ability to record 64 channels at once on a single receiver, if you only record the most popular channels.

They are still providing Hopper 1 and 2 models to new customers so the move to everyone having Hopper 3 units is still quite a ways away.
...and will never happen. By the time the stragglers upgrade to Hopper 3, there will likely be at least a Hopper 4. Besides, some people prefer the Wally. So, Hopper 3 for everyone is a non-starter.