Joey 4K/2.0

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If they made a Hopper that worked in an RV, I'd get it.
I also don't see a technical reason why the Wally can't record the four broadcast networks with one tuner as that feed must be picked up by all receivers.

We've been using a Hopper w/Sling in our motorhome for the past four years with no problems, as have many other RV'ers. When Dish says they don't support RV use of a Hopper/DVR, they mean they won't install or maintain one there, not that it won't work. In recent years, I understand that policy has softened though. I've seen Dish service vans in a number of RV parks in the past year or so, usually doing Hopper 3 upgrades apparently.

Reactions: pattykay
Can someone please remind me how I can hook up one Hopper 3 and two Wally receivers with the DPH42 switch at home?
You have to probably trunk a 44 switch to the 42 switch and connect the Wallys to that, using port 1 out for the power inserter on the 44 switch and also a power inserter on the 42 switch. LNBF connects to 42 switch, hopper connected to port 1 out, then that 42 switch trunks to the 44.

.ooops, should have read the rest of the thread lol

If someone here could forward a suggestion to Dish for me I'd appreciate it.
My suggestion is to make the Hopper Duo compatible with RV dishes sometime in the near future.
It seems to me that only three changes would be needed.
1) modify the software on the Hopper Duo to support and control RV dishes.
2) introduce what I would call the "Travel Node" with two input ports for the feeds from the RV dish, one output port for the Hopper Duo, and a client port for a Joey. Four ports total. This device would allow most dual-output RV dishes on the market today to support the Hopper Duo and one Joey.
3) change account policy to allow a Hopper at home alongside a Hopper Duo for RV use in place of the two Wally receivers currently allowed for this purpose.
Thanks

The Dish RV market is such a small segment of their subscribers that the chances of specialized RV centric hardware being developed are likely slim to none. There are automatic dishes that work with all Dish receivers, including the Hopper series, although they're roof mounted and costly compared to other options. It typically takes me 15 minutes or less to setup and aim our tripod mounted 1000.4 triple LNB dish that cost less than $100. I can use it for either the eastern or western arc sats with a simple LNB swap, giving us a larger choice of aiming angles on sites with trees or other obstructions.

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
The Dish RV market is such a small segment of their subscribers that the chances of specialized RV centric hardware being developed are likely slim to none. There are automatic dishes that work with all Dish receivers, including the Hopper series, although they're roof mounted and costly compared to other options. It typically takes me 15 minutes or less to setup and aim our tripod mounted 1000.4 triple LNB dish that cost less than $100. I can use it for either the eastern or western arc sats with a simple LNB swap, giving us a larger choice of aiming angles on sites with trees or other obstructions.
You're almost certainly right. My expectations weren't very high but since they just came out with the option to change your address with the app, I thought I'd give it a try.
And the only automatic dish that works with the Hopper costs $1,600 that's a tough sell lol

You're almost certainly right. My expectations weren't very high but since they just came out with the option to change your address with the app, I thought I'd give it a try.
And the only automatic dish that works with the Hopper costs $1,600 that's a tough sell lol

The app feature is a relatively simple programming change that saves Dish CSR's from having to process as many changes manually, saving Dish time and money, as well as helping us as RV'ers. A real "win/win" once they get the bugs worked out.

The combination of the western arc only and location limitations, plus the cost, of the roof mounted Trav'ler or RF Mogul automatic dishes are the reasons I prefer the portable tripod mounted dish. Yes, it adds a few more minutes to our setup time on new sites, but we think it's worth the small effort. We've never selected sites for the satellite view when there's a choice, preferring to choose them for the other features a park offers, such as the view or beach access. With both arc and location flexibility, and a few hundred campsites behind us, we've yet to land on a site where we couldn't get service from one arc or the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)