Joey 4K and 4K Programming?

Apparently 4K Joey is capable of displaying ch. 540, but for some reason this is not officially supported. Perhaps there are some unresolved issues.

If someone is anxious to watch ch 540 via 4K Joey, rather than through the Hopper, you can use the tricks discussed here:
How to watch PyeongChang 2018 Olympics in 4K HDR

I call dish and they are sending me a new 4k joey and I bet it won't pick up 4k. my hopper is picking up the same event on 540 and some other channel like 412-42 or something I have forgot is in 4k
412-42 is a Sports Alternate channel. I get it on my Hopper Duo. Definitely not 4K.

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but it "works"... As previously mentioned, transferring the 4KUHD recordings to an EHD allows them to be seen on the 4K Joey. So I started the Ski Jump presentation from Sunday 2.18 and got the 1540 notice. Instead of saying OK or Cancelling, I pressed Menu twice so I could check the MOCA stats. The program continued on in the background while I was poking around in the Menu system. When I exited the Menu screens, I was watching the Men's Large Hill ski jump with no pop-up box. The colors are washed out, but that's to be expected on my 1080p, non-HDR Sony Bravia.
I can confirm this works....

H3 connected to 1080tv,
Set timer to record 4K olympics,
Play recorded dvr 4K program,
Get program with error box,
Press menu button on remote,
Program thumbnails to top-right of menu screen without error message,
Press cancel button on remote,
Program goes to full screen without error message.
Adjust tv bright level down just a bit.

Nice to see Olympics (even in 1080i) without all the compression.

The hardware CAN play the programming,
And should not be artificially software blocked.

Reactions: pattykay
I can confirm this works....

H3 connected to 1080tv,
Set timer to record 4K olympics,
Play recorded dvr 4K program,
Get program with error box,
Press menu button on remote,
Program thumbnails to top-right of menu screen without error message,
Press cancel button on remote,
Program goes to full screen without error message.
Adjust tv bright level down just a bit.

Nice to see Olympics (even in 1080i) without all the compression.

The hardware CAN play the programming,
And should not be artificially software blocked.
1519351586713.jpg

Does this trick also work on a 1080i TV connected to the H3?
Yes, I don't have 4K TVs yet, I can verify it works with my circa-2006 Samsung 55" LCD connected to my Hopper 3.

I have also been successful in recording the 4K HDR broadcast on my H3 and playing it on my 10 year old Hitachi RPCRT which natively displays 1280X1080i connected to the H3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)