Joey Works Without Coax Cable?

The physical layer of the connection is not Ethernet. Ethernet runs just fine on coax. Thicknet and thinnet were both coaxial based and ran before twisted pair.

Point --> John. I think I fixed my original post, which I must admit was terrible in it's first incarnation.

Gary,

You need to differentiate what works vs what is supported.

MoCA is supported. If it breaks Dish needs to fix it. TP (wired) and WiFi can work, but the impetus should be on the customer to support. Dish didn't install and check the wiring or the throughput of the LAN to determine ability to meet their requirements.
I fully understand the difference. However, there were those who said Dish was wise not to enable it, who now think it's cool they did, supported or not. That's all I was pointing out.

I've always said they should enable whole-home over TP, and even wi-fi. I never said it had to be officially supported. I, and many others, felt it would be a viable choice. And, as it turns out, it is. (If they don't disable it at some point.)

It's odd that a couple of network-related things that Dish said would be disabled at the start, were quite functional, such as the Ethernet port on the Joey and the 2nd port on the Hopper.

Last edited:
If you really think about it... At some point in the design, they may have envisioned Ethernet 0 in the Hopper getting Broadband, then Ethernet 1 broadcasting a Private TCP network to the Joey's.

That would account for the 2 ports on the Hopper and the inclusion at all on the Joey's.

This does leave an IP option open for them if they choose to use it.

My guess is that the Joeys were designed to fully support ethernet over twisted pair but, for whatever reason, this feature was disabled prior to rollout. The unintended consequence of that was breaking DLNA for a significant number of users, who complained.

The most expedient method of "fixing" DLNA was to simply enable twisted pair support, but the reasons for disabling it in the first place still remain, so the "new" feature was not advertized.

I have an HIC. My Hoppers both have ethernet connected. The ethernet is never used. However, if i turn off the HIC, it "fails over" to the ethernet. If I connect the HIC back up, they "fail back" to the HIC.

But if there's enough demand it will be re-added......

For a fee of course
fee or no fee, sometimes Dish isn't willing to play. As long as someone has a backup plan when using this, then you'll be just fine. Going into it blind and just assuming that Dish will keep the unofficial support the same is only going end up in disappointment.

It's why OTA dependent customers shouldn't even bother installing H/J until there's actual official support for it. Until that happens, you're just gambling on something that may never happen.

Just look at all the demand from customers to mix their VIP equipment on the same account as H/J. We haven't seen any sign that Dish will change their mind.

digiblur said:
So who is going to setup a vpn between two FIOS connections and try bringing the Joey across the street :)

Maybe if you have a 4G cellphone that can act as a hot spot this might be a instant fix for the tailgater problem. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I don't think that DISH will work to disable this (on purpose) but it may break with them doing other things.

I think even if it keeps on working it will be an UNSUPPORTED feature.

One of the reasons that I think this is because in many states installers need a license to install cat 5. (Yeah I know silly)
The cost of Cat 5 is higher then running new cable to a room.

On the WIFI side, Dish is not going to support it (while it may work) because of the issues WIFI has. What may work for you now may not work for you later, or while your watching a movie and your are right near the end your neighbor does something which interferes with your signal such as makes dinner. DISH does not want you calling up upset because you missed the end of your movie because of reasons they can't control. With a coax connection it is their own closed network which they have MUCH more control over and thus can deliver to you an entertainment system that delivers for you all the time.

Now understand I am not scolding anyone for doing this... in fact I think its great! I just want everyone to be aware of what works today may not work tomorrow. :)

Just look at all the demand from customers to mix their VIP equipment on the same account as H/J. We haven't seen any sign that Dish will change their mind.

Reality check. 175,000ish members of SatGuys (not all Dish users...and mostly power users who are)...a small percentage of the 13+ million total.

I would think that the disabling of Joey video connections over ethernet, if it does occur, would be more of a "collateral damage" situation from enabling some other ethernet feature. I doubt it would be something actively worked on to disable for the sake of disabling it.

I don't think that DISH will work to disable this (on purpose) but it may break with them doing other things.

Yep.

Reality check. 175,000ish members of SatGuys (not all Dish users...and mostly power users who are)...a small percentage of the 13+ million total.
Reality check. i was just indicating that even any minimal amount of demand isn't necessarily going to change their mind on certain issues. Even if it get's to a million customers, i'm not sure they'd change their mind on VIP equipment.

The network bandwidth issues(if you have one or are worried about one) is easily addressed by running it on its own network.

Which might mean multiple runs of TP if you have LAN traffic besides the segregated network. At which point, why not just use existing coax?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk