Journal of my two satellite dishes going up, beginning to the end

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How many magnets should one have for top performance and accuracy?
The kit Skyvision sells has a 24 pole magnet. That is the design I copied when I made my own. :) I would be interested in finding out if they have them in stock again. They cost around $70.00 each. :(
The one on your dish and the last one I got is the OEM Birdview kit which has less magnets.
It’s pretty nasty in there. The grease has a lot of dirt mixed in and is caked on all around. I plan on scraping and blowing out most of the grime as best as I can then grease it up with what I think is called “White Grease” if that is the best I can use?
You could douse it with some solvent and scrub it with a small brush, but you would have to grease it well when finished. I use White Lithium Grease. Comes in a spray can or you can get it solid.
I’ll follow those instructions, they were what I had already been thinking. What is bothering me is what you say of having a split in it.
The split is for using plastic so that you can take it off the mount. If using aluminum just have them make a screw on section maybe with a hinge, so you can slip it on and then put on the closing section.
Right now my two poles are about 11’ feet apart.
My BUDs are all at least 25 feet apart so they don't interfere with each other.

Good Luck!!

congrats on a fine haul

Tom -

Your shipping crate and trailer are great.
Looks like you incorporated all of Fred's good ideas.
I'm happy to see such nice designs, just in case I ever get close to a Birdview. :rolleyes:

The dish crane you built is inspired.
If I need one, I'll probably use yours as a model. - :up

You can check back through Fred's dandy threads for what to wash the dish with.
But, if I was awake, it sounded like the power washer was the low-effort solution.

As for the gears, grease, and painting any rusted areas, I'm sure you are all over that.
Having lived in Florida as a kid, I know, and I'm sure you know, what it takes down there to stave off rust.

My new fuel/cost fact for my Camry sedan, is 6 miles per dollar.
Not pulling a trailer. ;)
I wonder what you spent just on fuel for this round trip to Texas?
. . . and if you have figured out how to write it off your taxes... ? - :eureka

I noticed when installing my mount, the bolt for the dish to swing on was bent, yet the holder is bent, so im gussing it was made this way. Anyway, one of the bushings for the dish swing part was lost, will it hurt it?
Alos will a panel will wrinkles hurt anything?

i also have a von wiese acuator. Yet it think the sensor doesnt work, i will move it to 3434 then unplug it and it will come back to 3342 so is there a resync option?

Tom -

Your shipping crate and trailer are great.
Looks like you incorporated all of Fred's good ideas.
I'm happy to see such nice designs, just in case I ever get close to a Birdview. :rolleyes:
Thanks Anole - I did follow Freds design on the crate. I figures that if it worked good for him it should do as well for me to keep it secured on the long trip back to Florida. I hope that you can find a Birdview too. That Paraclipes sounds like a good one to get for you? Maybe you'll go after that one!
If I need one, I'll probably use yours as a model. - :up
By all means you are welcome to use that design. It turned out I didn't need it on the trip to get the Birdview as the pole wasn't that tall. Also I had it made real quick for that past weekend just in case I would need it. It was made of Iron. I have it now that when I secure the dish crane to the support pole I’m using two light weight tension straps securing both parts together for the length of time while I’m using the tool.

If I was going to make it again and could have some time with it. I would have used Air Craft Tested Aluminum instead. Making it far lighter and just as strong. Another thing is after I had it made the wheels in my head that keep turning, I'm thinking of alternative designs for making them. One that does attach to the support pole and it has a swivel head so the top part can turn but the braise stays connected to the support pole snugly. Also toying with a tall dish crane that is secured to the trailer and the strap is connected up the dish crane pole and hooked onto the dish. I just have to design them onto paper and make it work.

You can check back through Fred's dandy threads for what to wash the dish with.
But, if I was awake, it sounded like the power washer was the low-effort solution.

As for the gears, grease, and painting any rusted areas, I'm sure you are all over that.
Having lived in Florida as a kid, I know, and I'm sure you know, what it takes down there to stave off rust.
So far I have use a car wash brush and soap to clean off the dish. Its still showing its grime. So I will be taking it to the car wash and using their high pressure washer on it. What part of Florida did you live in. I'm in what they call the "Nature Coast" and thats by the Gulf of Mexico near Crystal River Florida. I grew up in the subburbs of Detroit. Also lived for a time in Wyoming. All very differernt places to live in. Where I live now I think is far enough away from the salt air of the Gulf of Mexico. Still want to get Gear Box made and put on as fast as I can.

My new fuel/cost fact for my Camry sedan, is 6 miles per dollar.
Not pulling a trailer. ;)
I wonder what you spent just on fuel for this round trip to Texas?
Well the Birdview dish was given to me free. However after spending more then $800.00 dollars for diesel fuel it wasn't as free as I thought. Was it worth it in the end? Yes, I needed the trip to see the country and get away! Will I do it again will only depend on the price of Diesel Fuel. The top I spend was $4.88 a gallon. Hope it goes down. I've heard of some guy that is running his car and trucks on used cooking oil! Wonder if they give Fries with that! lol Suppose to be a lot cheaper and if you're running diesel it can be set up to make it run. Not sure about that either while I was going through Louisiana it was hard to find a gas station open let aside a McDonalds!!
. . . and if you have figured out how to write it off your taxes... ? - :eureka

Not yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to catch up on some lost sleep! lol

Thanks,
Tom
:D

Birdview After The Clean Up

Just got back from taking the Birdview to the car wash and getting most of the grud off the dish. I plan on using some Liquid Bleach to stop and take away any remaining mold. Too bad there isn't a supplier who sells Birdview Logo Decals to put back on again!
Toms_Birdview_0001.jpg

BIRDVIEW AFTER THE CLEAN UP - Photo One
Toms_Birdview_0002.jpg

BIRDVIEW AFTER THE CLEAN UP - Photo Two

Toms_Birdview_0003.jpg

BIRDVIEW AFTER THE CLEAN UP - Photo Three

Thanks,
Tom

Too bad there isn't a supplier who sells Birdview Logo Decals to put back on again!
If you find one, I would like to buy some new logos for mine too.

Or if you get one made, send me a copy and I'll get some made too.

I have a couple of pictures that could be used. Got one from a picture OSU posted, and one off of one of mine.

birdview-solid-logo.JPG birdview-solid-logo1.jpg birdview-solid-logo-2.JPG

One of us should be able to find someone to reproduce these pictures into stick on logos. :)

EDIT:Oh, BTW, the dish looks great! :)

Attachments

• good-birdview-logo.JPG
    good-birdview-logo.JPG
    705.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
The dish looks great Tom, you should have swung by Macon on your way back from Texas, and I would have been happy to test drive the Birdview for you...!
Oh Al, I bet you would too!! lol I was never so happy to get back home to Florida and find my bed! Only after looking at my new Birdview for a while that is. We left my area Central Florida by the Gulf of Mexico by Friday night at 6pm and got to Plano Texas by 4pm. Took the Birdview down. Got it secured in the trailer and started to drive back home at about 6pm again!
We were in the state of Louisiana that we discovered that one of the trailer tires was losing air bad. We filled it with air and drove till we could find a repair shop. Which was hard as it seemed they pulled up the sidewalks when it got dark. So we had to keep putting air into it. We finally found a truck stop and had a guy look at it and the inner valve was lose. He tighten it and put some air in it. We were thinking that we are good to go now! Not so. It was getting low again, so we drove to a city that had a Super Wal-mart and parked the truck in the parking lot waiting for the store to open up. We crashed! Then they put in a new stem, We were now Good To Go Home! and we were never so happy to get back home. Now we are trying to plan on when we can get up to TN for the other Birdview. If its gone thats ok too. But what an adventure. One day I would like to come your way and hear that Rebel Yell or is it a Scottish yell too?? lol

Thanks,
Tom
Edit: we didn't get back home till Sunday at 8pm. We were really tired!! And glad to be home!

Last edited:
hey tom. im really glad u finally got a birdview! congrads man really enjoy it and i hope its what you was looking for ! talk to u later:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.