Jumping E* Ship

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mike_Post

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
I have had it with E*. I won't go into long boring details. I'm going to make the switch in mid april.

Currently, I have 1 DVR, & 2 other recievers with E*.

I would like to get with the new D* install:

2 Dual Tuner Tivos, & 2 additional recievers.

I saw an ad for a company called Direc4u, but I know nothing about them.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Mike

You would do best to call "D" directly and tell them what you want. You will get the multi-switch which you will need for free and the best possible install. I needed the same equipment as you when I switched in Dec. and they gave me 1 Tivo upgrade free and another for $49 and both units when arrived were eligible for the $50 rebate. Going through a contractor would have cost big bucks for the multi-switch.

www.valueectronics.com is better than calling Direct.

I compared several times with calling Direct TV and 5 other retailers (local and on the net).

With VE you get a Direct Tivo and Two Receviers installed for $39. With Direct that wanted $99.

The Dish included the 4 Recevier "Multi switch."

The important that is there Installers. VE uses quality installers that have good feedback. With Direct, they farm it out to the cheapest contractor. You never know you you might get.

Mike_Post said:
I have had it with E*. I won't go into long boring details. I'm going to make the switch in mid april.

Currently, I have 1 DVR, & 2 other recievers with E*.

I would like to get with the new D* install:

2 Dual Tuner Tivos, & 2 additional recievers.

I saw an ad for a company called Direc4u, but I know nothing about them.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Just to let you know all Directivos are dual tuner unlike E*, so you don't have ask special for one.

There are 5 Promos going on right now for new subs.

Normaly you can only get ONE promo on ONE Hardware item, you can get Two doing this.

1. Order from ValueElectronics.com Get the SD Tivo and Three Receivers for $39

2. Also tell VE you are a memeber of the TivoCommunity and AVS forums and PRE-ORDER the new HD Tivo for $100 off making it $899.

3. When you activate your Subscription ask for the Double Deal Price so You get $10 off your bill each month for 6 Months.

4. Then ask them to review the cost of the plan you picked, and mentioned that the price went up (I did on March 1st). You will then get a $2 a month discount for One year. Ask for Price Protection (thats what shows up on there screen and your bill).

5. If you want to do a Self install order the $50 kit from VE. Mail you first bill to them after its all installed and activated and they will credit your Visa $100. (this means you make money on the SD Tivo).

Thats 5 Discounts. I shopped on the Internet and stores for Months looking for the best deal. Trust me, this is it.

I'm sure Value is a nice company. But, items 3 and 4 are available from any DirecTV dealer, including DirecTV "directly". (pardon the pun.)

Also, #1 is misleading, as Value charges $40 for S&H, making the system you describe actually cost $80.

If you want the Triple LNB, it's another $20, making it $100, the same as advertised from Direct (D* provides the 3LNB for free, along with any additional switches.) However, some people have reported getting the first Tivo for free, and a 2nd Tivo for $49, when ordering direct!

Finally, and most important to me, most web dealers have early termination or late activation fees in addition to those charged by DirecTV. I cannot tell if that is the case with Value, as the wording of their terms is unclear.

So, personally, when I switch to D from E, I will call DirecTV directly.

Thanks for the help guys!

I'll try both, and see what I come up with.

Thanks again.

Competition between Direct and the Retailers is always good.

Call around, offers do change.

I paid $39 for the SD Tivo with the Tripple LNB included at no extra charge as it is required for my Locals and HD.

I did pay shipping but it was worth it to get it delivered right away (took 2 days).

Directv uses mainly Ironwood Communications and Mountain satellite to do their own installs.Ironwood has 90 offices in 35 states and more than 40,000 employees.Definately not a cheap contractor!

I just switched from E* to D*. I also got the same setup you are asking about 1 DirecTivo, 2 standard receives and a Phase III dish. I went with Value electronics and a self install. The total price was $39.00 shipped with my self install for this configuration.

Going through D* directly would of cost me $99.00 + $30.00 shipping. Value Electronics was obviously cheaper but for that price I did a self install (which I wanted to do anyway). If you get installation with the package through Value it would cost $99.00 shipped. Also note that if you want to self install D* wouldn't let me do it, I had to go through one of their contracted installers. Of course you can negotiate with D* so you might get it cheaper through them depending on how good your negotiation skills are.

I figure for $39.00 and all that hardware it was a good deal.

As far as programming goes I got $10.00/month off for my programming for 6 months (same no matter who you go through) and I got $3.00/month for a year for price protection, didn't even ask for it they just gave it to me.

I sure am glad I switched. VERY happy with D* for the 1.5 weeks I have had it.

GaryPen said:
I'm sure Value is a nice company. But, items 3 and 4 are available from any DirecTV dealer, including DirecTV "directly". (pardon the pun.)

Also, #1 is misleading, as Value charges $40 for S&H, making the system you describe actually cost $80.

Finally, and most important to me, most web dealers have early termination or late activation fees in addition to those charged by DirecTV. I cannot tell if that is the case with Value, as the wording of their terms is unclear.

So, personally, when I switch to D from E, I will call DirecTV directly.

DIRECTV and all other on-line retailers also charge shipping, we're still lower cost than going to DIRECTV and provide a better professional installation. We also offer a self install deal, which DIRECTV and most other on-line dealers do not.

We do not have any agreement with our customers to charge for early termination or non activation.

That sounds great! The additional dealer-imposed fees that some dealers charge is a bit off-putting. The fact that you don't, plus all the rave reviews your customers give on these forums, will put you at the top of my list when the time comes to switch. (Notice I didn't say "if the time comes...") :)

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
DIRECTV and all other on-line retailers also charge shipping, we're still lower cost than going to DIRECTV and provide a better professional installation. We also offer a self install deal, which DIRECTV and most other on-line dealers do not.

We do not have any agreement with our customers to charge for early termination or non activation.

I thought the early termination fee applied no matter what?

GaryPen said:
DirecTV and Dish both have Early Term Fees (DirecTV waives theirs if you return the gear). But, many retailers impose additional fees.

I believe he was saying that they do not charge any additional fees.

Correct, we do not have any early termination fees or non activation fees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)