EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE WII ELECTRONIC ARTS May-09 289.1K
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* WII ELECTRONIC ARTS June-09 272.4K
WII FIT WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-08 271.6K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS June-09 260.8K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS June-09 210.3K
MARIO KART W/WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA April-08 202.1K
RED FACTION:GUERRILLA 360 THQ June-09 199.4K
INFAMOUS PS3 SONY May-09 192.7K

year over year, the PS3 has sold 490k fewer units compared to the same time in 2008, the 360 has sold 300k more. I know a price cut is coming and stuff, but that is a ton of ground to make up just to match last years totals.

MS was quick to point out that they're the only console that's experienced growth in 2009, the Wii and PS3 sales are both down compared to 2008.

MS was quick to point out that they're the only console that's experienced growth in 2009, the Wii and PS3 sales are both down compared to 2008.
And yet Wii still kicks 360's butt. I wouldn't point out that someone has lower sales, when those lower sales are still more than you can hope to imagine. :rolleyes:

And yet Wii still kicks 360's butt. I wouldn't point out that someone has lower sales, when those lower sales are still more than you can hope to imagine. :rolleyes:

Yes, more than double the sales. The DS is more than double the Wii too.

Anyone know the numbers for start of service sales of the consoles?

They could make a pretty good case that it's not the same customer. I don't think Ford is complaining that Huffy sells more bicycles every month than they sell Rangers.

They are similar customers, but my mom isn't going to upgrade from a Wii to a 360 or a PS3 no mater how neat Natal or the PS3 waggle stick are. There is still some accomplishment to selling more units compared to last year in this economy, while the PS3 and the Wii have sold fewer. That's compared to themselves, not each other, since outside of competing for those similar customers, they also need to demonstrate growth to show that their platform is healthy. PS3 will do well with a price cut, but im skeptical they'll be able to make up the 400k+ units they are behind compared to last year. They'd be even more behind if Metal Gear Solid 4 helped move many units, but it ended up not being much of a system seller if I recall correctly.

It provided a bump, but it wasn't the equivalent of PS3s Halo 3 Sony and Kojima were certainly hoping for. If MGS4 couldn't move the earth for PS3 upon release, im not sure anything has a chance aside from FF13, which went multiplatform so now Sony will instead probably be embarrassed by having to watch the 360 version outperform the PS3 version.

God of War 3? Popular franchise, but MGS is probably more popular. Gran Turismo? Race games don't sell too fantasticly on any system in the US, I wonder how many copies it will take to recoup more than 5 years of development? NASCAR? Damage? (previously was to be 'patched in later' before it became standard on every racing game the last couple years). This game is the definition of feature creep, the developer should change their logo to a kitchen sink.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)