June announcement

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LonghornXP said:
I've heard they would be added but hearing the guy on the webcast and what Scott and others have been saying I'm not sure about it as I was. I guess only time will tell.

I sure hope they do. Some of their channels are popular and they would be smart to add a few of them. Although they might create similiar channels to what Voom had. I guess we will find out in a few weeks.

vurbano said:
Oh no not on satguys too?:rolleyes:

Actually Vurbano, I have been a very vocal member at avs about D*s quality/quantity issues. You have read many posts of mine about these issues. All of my (apologist)posts were intended to be sarcastic. Some got it some didn't. I just got fed up with getting ripped by the same 5-10 members that either work for D* or invest with them. These guys can be very rude and even sent an email to me with a virus attachment. I contributed many years over at Avs and tried to help people out the best I could. I guess i just lost it at the end and wanted some payback. I won't be back at AVS but still think most of the members and mods are great.

E* jumped ahead of D*, but that is temporary.

I am sure that D* will become the leader soon with all the hardware they are throwing up there. 2 MPEG4 satellites will have a ton of bandwidth. They do not want to be 2nd and I don't think they will be for long. There is a lot of National HD coming out and I am looking forward to seeing it!!! I remember the excitement every time Voom would add another channel, everyone was so anxious and then there it was and it was great. Now E* just added the Voom channels and everyone is excited. I do not believe that D* will lag behind for long, and I am getting excited just thinking of all the new, glorious HD that I will soon be watching on my new Mitsubishi 62" DLP!!!!

We've all been asking the coming content question for as long as we've each had HD service, and IMHO it seems that we are all about to be very pleasantly surprised with additions of new channels. Now that anyone can go to their local W* mart and buy an open box HDTV for $500-$600, the proliferation of HD sets will grow exponentially. D* is surely aware of this. They have led the charge in DBS service as long as there has been DBS service. They aren't buying sats just to add to the collection of orbiting space junk out there, they are planning serious strategic moves. Do I know what moves, of course not. There are those here with much more insight and inside info than myself. What is plain to see is that D* doesn't leak info. They also don't mention anything untill all details are worked out. Just look at the DVR software updates. Everyone suspected that they were coming. No one knew when. D* knew they would upgrade us, and honestly, there was no way that knowledge of the update would have really benefited any of the customers. Still it was kept as under wraps as possible until the day that it was implemented.
I love specualting as much as the next guy, and I'm checking my guide everyday looking for new channels, but the only thing that I know for sure is that I'm sure that D* will make us all happy when it comes to content, just as soon as they have more channels to send us.

my $.02

/soapbox

I sure hope all of this is true and we will be happy in a few months. That would be a nice change. After investing thousands of $ into D* equipment it seems they have disappointed me a great deal over the years. I am waiting on this announcement to see if I will stick around or move on. They need to address pq and content. Hd locals are great but they will need more.

cr0mag, yes, D* keeps things very close to the vest and doesn't announce anything until they are ready to start service (or very close to it). IMHO I prefer this approach. I had another provider that kept telling us all the grand plans that they had, that never happened, or a release date for such and such hardware and then missed it by many months.

I don't mind D* keeping things close to their vest but what gets me is they add channels and then don't publicly announce it...If it wasn't for this and or other forums how many people here would know channel 250 was added? I wouldn't especially since 90 percent of what I watch comes off my DVR.

rad said:
I had another provider that kept telling us all the grand plans that they had, that never happened, or a release date for such and such hardware and then missed it by many months.

Thats nothing, I had a provider that spouted grand plans and went out of Business.

I would love if Direct added half of what is mentioned in the first post. We will see what Directv has to say in June. It isnt long now...June is not very far off.

rad said:
cr0mag, yes, D* keeps things very close to the vest and doesn't announce anything until they are ready to start service (or very close to it). IMHO I prefer this approach. I had another provider that kept telling us all the grand plans that they had, that never happened, or a release date for such and such hardware and then missed it by many months.

Should I guess who that was? Sounds like WishNetwork? :cool:

I'm in the same boat as Apolist. If D* doesn't start adding some HD nationals, I'm gonna have to jump ship, or at least cancel my HD package. I'm getting it for free now, but I can't justify $11 a month for 5 channels. I get all of my local OTA with ease and I probably will never get LIL from D*.

billbillw said:
I'm in the same boat as Apolist. If D* doesn't start adding some HD nationals, I'm gonna have to jump ship, or at least cancel my HD package. I'm getting it for free now, but I can't justify $11 a month for 5 channels. I get all of my local OTA with ease and I probably will never get LIL from D*.
E* currently offers 15 channels for something like $15. That seems pretty fair to me. D*'s pricing for what they offer is high especially now that it is compressed badly. ST is now not a factor for me so I am giving D* to the end of June to make an announcement. If it doesn't blow me out of the water I will be shopping around. My local cable company seems to be doing pretty well with hd.

Apologist said:
E* currently offers 15 channels for something like $15. That seems pretty fair to me. D*'s pricing for what they offer is high especially now that it is compressed badly. ST is now not a factor for me so I am giving D* to the end of June to make an announcement. If it doesn't blow me out of the water I will be shopping around. My local cable company seems to be doing pretty well with hd.

Just remember that E* was just as high about a month ago which means that E* could be less bang for your buck than D* in just 6 months time. But as it stands E* is the leader right now but sadly to say when it comes to the future I see D* just killing E* but we will just have to wait and see. One thing is for sure is that both D* and E* have things they have to fix and most on here know what these things happene to be but again as always only time will tell.

LonghornXP said:
But as it stands E* is the leader right now but sadly to say when it comes to the future I see D* just killing E* but we will just have to wait and see.

Don't forget those cable companies out there, they might just kill both E* and D*. If you discount E*'s lead due to the Voom channels they picked up, many cable companies have more HD then either D* or E* plus HD DVR's for $10/month (your system's cost may vary). You see more and more posts from folks that were loyal DBS customers give cable a try for HD and finding that they can live with it and like some of the extra features such as VOD.

E* VS D* Profitablity

Take a look at the profits tho it has been this way for years?
How long will Rupert Murdoch take the loses?

E*
Sales $6.73 bil
Profits $.15 bil
Assets $6.17 bil
Market Value $13.52 bil
Employees 15,000

D*
Sales $11.36 bil
Profits $-1.64 bil
Assets $14.32 bil
Market Value $20.80 bil
Employees 11,800

GregN said:
E* VS D* Profitablity

Take a look at the profits tho it has been this way for years?
How long will Rupert Murdoch take the loses?

are u saying D* is going to go out of business? :haha ... i dont think thats going to happen

direct won't go out of business, but keep in mind that GM was trying to get rid of them because of the cost burden

I may not know what exactly the June announcement will hold, but I KNOW it won't be D* saying they're going under! No way at all.

They are throwing a whole lot of hardware up into space right now. Good things HAVE to be coming!!!!! Just like the optomist kid that gets a pile of horse crap for Christmas and dives in digging--"I just KNOW there's a pony in there somewhere!!"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)