Just canceled TurboHD Silver - pfft!

Laserich

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Stationary Orbit
I didn't want to, but I just canceled TurboHD Silver and replaced it with the 200w/SilverHD package. It's costing more than I want to spend, but at least I'm no longer being locked out of HD content..Fox News or Fox News HD are missing from the TurboHD standalones. Who knows what will be next?

I said it before and I'm thinking it's now a done deal. TurboHD is just another gimmick whose days are numbered.

TurboHD packages no longer allow you to buy or subscribe to the entirety of HD that Dish provides. If you want every available HD channel, why would somebody choose a TurboHD package when it's clear that HD is excluded. That also means new HD likely will be excluded because the precedent has now been set.

HD channels are being locked out of the TurboHD packages.

Just as Dish forbid existing customers to switch over to TurboHD until February '09 from the AT (now called Classic) packages because they didn't want to lose the revenue, the first exclusion of a new HD channel from the TurboHD packages makes it clear...it's probably not financially viable, and the experiment is over.

Yeah that does not make sense not to get HD Channels like that in Turbo HD.. They need to fix that!

I am planning to downgrade from TurboHD Gold to Classic Bronze HD. We will lose a few important channels but my husband says he can live with it until football season.

I am only hesitating thinking that this Fox News HD situation is so absurd that surely someone will come to their senses and add it to the so-call TurboHD packages.

I have been considering my options of late and was almost ready to pull the trigger on an HD-only package. There are only 2 SD-only channels that interest me at this point, IFC and truTV, and the latter less so all the time with all the garbage they're running in prime time. So for the most part I could live w/ a TurboHD pkg. and now that I'm eligible was considering pulling the trigger. But not if FNSHD is excluded !!

Dish - get this fixed !!!

Laserich,
How does it feel to be played? You just did exactly what Charlie wanted you to do. If enough people do that instead of complaining loudly then all TurboHD subs are screwed.

LOL!!! This is suddenly my fault? You have your villains mixed up.

By doing what you did, you basically took his side. So while it you may not have started it, you are indeed reinforcing it.

What are you 12? Now you gonna call me a poopy head? lol Hey STL, you're subscribing to Dish Network, you're empowering Charlie as well. neener! And you continue to subscribe to TurboHD, thereby vindicating Charlie's decision to exclude new HD channels from the package. hah! lol

TurboHD subs are already getting screwed, but it's unclear what the reason is.

What are you 12? Now you gonna call me a poopy head? lol Hey STL, you're subscribing to Dish Network, you're empowering Charlie as well. neener! And you continue to subscribe to TurboHD, thereby vindicating Charlie's decision to exclude new HD channels from the package. hah! lol

TurboHD subs are already getting screwed, but it's unclear what the reason is.

BECAUSE THEY CAN! Just like all the made up fees that Charlie added to his service. Because he can.

STL is correct. If you fight them instead of conforming to their wishes you will get what YOU want YOUR way. I keep saying this... "sorry the Borg implants didn't take with me, I will not be part of the collective". Fight them, like me. Agravate the you know what out of them. If they don't budge leave them, like me. Don't let them bully you. If you bow your head and say whimpishly, ok, so many times you (and I'm not pointing fingers at any one inpaticular here) will continue to get walked on. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

STL is correct. If you fight them instead of conforming to their wishes you will get what YOU want YOUR way. I keep saying this... "sorry the Borg implants didn't take with me, I will not be part of the collective". Fight them, like me. Agravate the you know what out of them. If they don't budge leave them, like me. Don't let them bully you. If you bow your head and say whimpishly, ok, so many times you (and I'm not pointing fingers at any one inpaticular here) will continue to get walked on. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

Indeed, that's the other option...don't subscribe to Dish. Period. But don't lecture me, and I'm not pointing fingers at any one in particular, here. Dish knows where I stand on the issue, very clearly and repeatedly they know.

The fight over FNC is already over. TurboHD subs are not going to get it. I wrote in another thread that the new carriage agreement press release from Fox only mentions the channels being available in the Classic packs, as well, FNC is available to only 11 million of their 13.7 million subscribers.

If FNC and FBC are ever included in any of the TurboHD packages, it won't be until a new carriage agreement with Fox is signed.

The only conclusion to be drawn from their exclusion has to be that TurboHD packs are not going to necessarily carry every HD channel on purpose, by design.

I didn't want to, but I just canceled TurboHD Silver and replaced it with the 200w/SilverHD package. It's costing more than I want to spend, but at least I'm no longer being locked out of HD content..Fox News or Fox News HD are missing from the TurboHD standalones. Who knows what will be next?

HD channels are being locked out of the TurboHD packages.

I could be missing something but I don't see a Fox News HD channel anywhere in the lineup. Dish doesn't include SD channels in their HD only packages that don't have an HD equivalent. Headline News is also SD only and absent from the HD only packages. So while it would be nice to include SD channels where no HD equivalent exists, that's not how the HD only packages are set up.

[EDIT] I looked again and there IS a Fox News HD in the guide but not in the lineups on the web. I'm now in agreement with the OP. Excluding Fox News HD channels from the HD only packages seems wrong!

There are about a half dozen Fox Sports HD channels listed in the classic Silver package that don't appear in any HD only package. But that wasn't what the OP was discussing.

Last edited:
I don't even care about Fox News or Fox Business, but its the principle that other channels may be excluded. Can't wait to get D* this summer

Laserich, I was not lecturing you or any one. Please don't take me the wrong way! I have E* now. But their days are numbered with me. Why is it they have "all HD pkgs" and not include ALL HD? The only reason I have HD Gold and Plat. and the Classic Gold 250 programming. is to get maybe 5 channels not in Silver. That's why ala carte programming is needed with both D* and E*.

Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)