Just can't do it any longer...

GadgetRick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Near NYC
I've been a Voomer for right around a year now. I've been through some tough times and some good times. However, recently, my Voom experience has gone from (more or less) blissfull to a nightmare. Been having numerous problems with the stb needing numerous reboots (never had that kind of problem before), I have channels I can no longer access (get an access card error) and, last night, I noticed still more channels with the access card message.

I also tried adding another stb upstairs recently and could never get it working. There have been some very helpful people trying to help me around here but nothing seems to work. I'm just tired of having to spend time on the phone with Voom and scheduling an appointment and waiting for the person to show up and hoping he/she will be able to fix it.

I also have problems with OTA reception. I know, you're going to say, "It's not Voom's fault!" Well it isn't and it is. See, I had a GOOD installer who came out and was able to do a LOT to help with my OTA reception. However, after he left, I noticed ABC was no longer coming in. Then they sent a BAD installer who proceeded to muck around and screw it up so now I've got issues with other channels. Sure, I could climb up on my roof andplay with it myself, however, I'm not going to risk going up there and hurting myself doing something which is included with what I pay each month. Just not worth it. If my roof wasn't as steep as it is I might consider it but it's just too steep for me to even think about it. Oh, I also live approximately 10 miles from the tower(s) and there are no line of sight issues. I've checked into everything.

All this and they're raising (have raised?) the price for the service! Now, I really don't mind paying for service. Heck, I don't even mind paying more money for good service. However, to be paying more money for service which has become a major problem (for me) lately? Just doesn't make any sense.

Now, I've agonized over this decsion but I just can't pay so much to be a beta tester any longer. I hate DTV with a passion. I've only been using them for football but I've got to go back to them. I'll miss many of the channels I've got with Voom. I really love Rush and some of the cinema channels. I also love Starz and some of the other HD movie channels I'll be giving up. The only thing is, I know DTV works even though they're offering less. Maybe if Voom cleans up their act I might come back but I can't justify spending $100 a month for what I'm getting (or not getting).

I don't hate Voom. I don't wish them any ill feelings. I hope they get everything working better and I switch back. I'm also not complaining about no dvr or any of the other stupid things people have complained about for so long. I just want a product which is worth the money I'm paying for it. For the better part of the last year Voom was that product for me, however, in the last few months it has ceased to be that product for me.

Sorry, I'll miss my Voom...

The Rickster

Hi, The Rickster,

Have been following your problems and believe me we know how you feel. Been there, done that.

However, at the suggestion of someone on AVSforum early in 2004 we posted to Wilt on the VOOM/Yahoo forum. He put us in contact with someone at the home office. We have continued to have problems off and on over the past year but all of them have been resolved other than the "common" problems among users and the new firmware update appears to be resolving the last reception problem--Caller ID and lockups.

Bottom line-if you haven't posted on VOOM/Yahoo to Wilt, do so. And see if you can get your problems resolved.

Yes, we have the service person screw up as well. Got most OTAs and then fewer after a service call. DBS out of Portland, Ore. was banned from our property and another service person got us up and running with OTA.

Still watching HDTV under partly cloudy and cold (snow?) Seattle skies, Gill

Wilt...

I had thought about doing that. I'm just at the point I'm not sure I want to deal with it. I've spent enough time (lately) dealing with these issues and I just don't have the patience any longer. I had to reboot the stb the other night. Then last night, I sit down and try to tune in one of the cinema channels and I get the same access card message I've been getting on Food/HGTV. Most of my cinema channels are now giving me this problem.

I'm not posting this to bash Voom. I love what I've gotten from Voom. I don't mind some inconveniences for what I was getting. It is, afterall, a brand new service. It's just gotten to the point where I'm working too hard to enjoy my satellite service. It shouldn't be work to sit down and enjoy a good movie in HD. Here is a list of what my Voom complaints are:

1. Access card error on certain channels (and it's getting worse) on my primary stb.
2. Extra stb just doesn't work.
3. Had a lot of lockups in the last month needing reboots.
4. PG download too long. Even with the new software 10 minutes is too long.
5. Installers are hit or miss (I know, it's Installs, Inc. but Voom has to step up and bang some heads and get them in order.).
6. Sparklies on certain SD channels. (How long before they finally address this???)
7. Local channel reception (Again, I know it's not directly Voom but something has to be done.).
8. A general lack of sports channels.
9. Adding RSNs but not allowing people outside of that region receive those channels (I'd like to be able to watch sports in other markets).
10. No Yes Network. And it looks like no plans to add it.

Believe me, I don't want to leave Voom. Where else can I get what I've been getting? However, I'm sure many of you understand just how frustrating it is to sit down, grab the remote, turn on the TV and see a problem which requires you get up and reboot the stb. Or, worse, you're doing something with the remote and the stb locks up. I was one of the lucky few who, at the start, had very few stb issues. Now I'm dealing with them all of the time.

Add to this the price increase and it's just too much. How can they raise the prices (no matter how little) when they have a product which still has many well-documented issues???

I'm not trying to convince people to cancel Voom. Heck, if Voom gets their act together I'll be first in line to sign up again if it's still the best game in town. I also understand some of my complaints are bandwidth issues and they may add some other programming I like once the other bird is online. But it looks like they're just going to allow people in a given market view their RSN and not the rest of us. I'd love to watch some of what's on the Florida RSN but I'm not in Florida and cannot watch that channel. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, note, I'm not complaining about a lack of a dvr. I miss my Tivo but I can live without it. I know they'll have one sooner or later and I can deal with that. I don't think the things I listed as what I'd like to see fixed/added are unreasonable at all. I'm just not seeing much movement towards fixing many of the things many of us have been complaining about for quite some time now (sparklies on SD anyone???). I just feel I'm paying a lot of money to beta test something but they're just not using our feedback as well as they could.

I may take the time and email Wilt with my issues, check that, I will take the time. Even if I leave they should know what the problems were which drove me over the edge. It can only help them to know why someone is about to leave. And no, I'm not going to do it in order to get them to beg to keep me or offer anything special. I'm not like that or I would have already done this.

Thanks.

The Rickster

I also had the access card problems (on one TV only) but was told that it is a common problem when the STB goes bad. Have you asked to have your STB replaced? Got my new STB today. I'll see how it works when I get home. As for being fed up, I guess it's all individual choices. I don't mind a little inconvenience of black outs on non-HD channels for after all it is only TV...not HDTV...

P.S. What price increase? I still haven't seen it...

Yes...

I did call about having the stb replaced and, honestly, this is when I finally got to the point of giving up.

I had originally called about the stb. They said they would have to schedule someone to come out and replace it. I told them I'd like to add the other stb at the same time so I could save myself from needing two visits. When the installer showed up he knew nothing of replacing the bad stb--only installing the new one. So he proceeded to installl it, it didn't work and he left (long story). Oh, and I found out he drilled through my network/phone cable to my upstairs bedroom. He knew he did it because he pushed the cable up and away nicely. I've got to call Installs, Inc. on that one.

So I called Voom about it and they said they have it in the system for both stbs and they would have to reschedule. For some reason they would have to call me back to reschedule. They, to their credit, did call multiple times and I just received an email. I have been deciding if I wanted to cancel the service before calling them. I have to make a 6 month comittment to Voom for the other stb. Since it's not working I don't have that comittment yet. So I've held off for now.

The Rickster

Actually I'm an installer and we figured out what that access card error is. Well not sure what causes it but to fix takes all of 2 minutes. Call the service line and tell them to take you serial number on your access card out of inventory, then have him put it back in and you do a soft reboot on the reciever. That had fixed 2 that I've worked on instantly.

Thanks...

Thanks for that tip. I'll have to do this. I'm waiting on the delivery of my new stb for that other company. Once I receive it and make sure everything is working properly I'll have to cancel Voom. It's a shame really. I'll miss my Voom... :(

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)