Just getting started...

coach Al

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Greer, SC
Hi,
I've been trying to setup my satellite to pick up SkyAngel but to no avail. Here's a run down - if anyone has suggestions, i'm open to them. I was given an RCA dish with a Dish Network Recevier model 301. The guy said that he didn't need it anymore because he upgraded and that the unit is in working order - i trust him. I pointed the dish at the coordinates that i got from Sky's webpage (using zipcode) and hooked up all the cables. I never got a signal, beeps or anything. the screen just says 'acquiring satellite signal'. I've tried to verify the signal by using the menu options on the reciever. When i put in my zip code, it changes to ?????, whenn i try to enter a transponder #, it doesn't accept it. When i try to arrow over and change the satellite selected (needs to be on 61.5) the reciever locks up. I have talked with Dish and Sky, both have told me to reset the reciever - i have, still doesn't work. THe sw on the receiver is old (P188) and i haven't been able to get it to update. I've talked with local installers and they tell me i haven't got the satellite pointed correctly (a sales pitch to do the install followed...) Do i have a bad receiver? or are they correct in telling me that the satellite is off? This is the first time i've tried to hook up a satellite dish/receiver. My neighbor wants me to help him, once i've got mine up and running. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :confused:

Welcome Coach Al!

The unit should be able to get a software update.

Hook up the dish to the receiver. Go "menu 6-1-1" to get into the system install screen. I know on the 301 there is a spot to cehck your elevation & azimuth. Don't worry about skew (not needed)

Depending on your zip, (If you posts that it would be a little easier to help out) the dish would need to be SW (unless you're in the East coast.) Make sure elevation is correct. Change to 61.5 and use transponder 11 or 12 if you can. If you have a compass, use the azimuth given and get the dish roughly to that area. Then slowly get it to the corerect azimuth and you should get a signal.

I'm assuming you have no trees in the area that could be blocking the view?

Let us know how it works out.

coordinates

Ok, forgot to mention: zip code is 29657, azimuth = 151, elevation 44. I've tried to 'tweak' the satellite after putting in this position, but i dont' get a signal. Trees are not an issue as satellite is mounted higher than trees. I'm guessing that i would have to be getting a signal before the reciever will update sw - right :).

Al you might want to get yourself a Satellite Signal Meter (They sell for like $20 from places like DishStore.NET) which let's you hook up the meter to the dish and properly peek the dish on the satellite for maximum signal.

That may solve your headaches. (And thats how the pros do it) :)

elevation is right (I get 43.7). Azimuth is a little off (I get around 155) but that should be OK.

You would need a signal before it updates..correct. But you should still be able to get a signal with those numbers

The post is plumb (level)? If it isn't, it will be a bugger :)

I would get it to the general area, and slowly move it left to right to see if the bar actually moves. Were you able to select 61.5 as an option?

Many thanks

Thanks for the tips, i'll have to order a meter. I've called the Radio Shack's in our area and the didn't carry them. Good thing there are websites that carry them.

Thanks again! :yes

coach Al said:
Thanks for the tips, i'll have to order a meter. I've called the Radio Shack's in our area and the didn't carry them. Good thing there are websites that carry them.

Thanks again! :yes

How are you determing the azimuth? The Dish pointing software already takes into account magnetic declination.

If you set the elevation correctly and your pole is plumb, turn the pole slowly and you should start to get a signal somewhere along the way. If you can't see the tv from where the dish is, have someone else there to look for you.

Were you able to select 61.5 as an option?

not on the signal finder menu (6-1-1), when i arrow over the highlight goes away and the receiver locks. I have to turn off/on again. :rolleyes:

uh oh...sounds like a bad unit then..it shouldnt lock up

any way i can test the receiver to see if it's bad? Nobody around me has DishNetwork, they are all DirecTV lovers... Shops here will test, quotes i got are for $75 and up. I might as well buy a new one from store for that price. :confused:

you can see if it picks up 119.

the parameters for that are
34.3 for elevation
244 for azimuth

again use 11 or 12 as a transponder

If it picks up a signal, try to see if it will download the newest software.

tried again, but failed

went home last night and tried to line everything up again, rechecked plum on mast, that was good, rechecked elevation, it was at 44, rechecked azimuth, pointed to 151. Powered on reciever/TV, didn't get a signal. tried turning dish slowly, still didn't get a signal. I even tried moving the dish to another location in the front yard, just to make sure that there would be nothing in the line of sight. Didn't change anything. Then i reset the dish elevation and azimuth to 119 satellite to see if i could get that satellite. No good, same thing. There was never any signal at all, i think my receiver is bad. So far, i've got just a few dollars invested in this, since equipment was given to me i only had to purchase a pole to put it on. Ok- I only want to be able to get SkyAngel, since i'm going to have to buy some equipment, what can you recommend? :eek:

If you can't get 119, then the unit sounds bad.
Hopefully the Dish & LNB are good.

I know Sears has a basic receiver (301 or 311) for $99 or a dish/receiver for $149. That might be the best option other than Ebay or maybe someone has a receiver that would work

could this be a case of something simple, like a bad lnb or cable? I'd be tempted to try that out, since legacy lnb's are dirt cheap.

Derwin0 said:
could this be a case of something simple, like a bad lnb or cable? I'd be tempted to try that out, since legacy lnb's are dirt cheap.

When he goes to install sctreen (6-1-1) and select 61.5, the receiver freezes up

coach are you on transponder 25 when your trying to point to 61.5? Otherwise you won't lock on to the proper signal when your trying to align your dish for Sky Angel. Mike

Mike
any TP on 61.5 will work.(as long as its an active TP)

Coach is going to take the receiver to a buddy of his to see if it will work on that one.

Thanks Iceberg! I hope he can get his system up and running real soon. There is a lot of great programming on Sky Angel. Thanks, Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts