Just getting started...

If that receiver is DOA (or in this case, just D) you might want to try the $99 Sears 311 or just order a complete system from DISH for $149 installed. Sounds like there is a problem because the freezing up and all. One thing to remember, you can't get a signal through your home cable wire if there's a splitter between the receiver and the dish. Check that or run a dedicated line from the receiver to the dish, if you didn't try that already.

bad cable

:shocked It turned out to be a bad cable!!! i took the receiver down to shop and they hooked it up - sure enough, it worked just fine. got another cable from them and went home to hook it up and it is working! I'm at 106 strength.
i tested it outside on a small tv, then brought it in.

Still getting signal but now this is no audio. would that be the switch?

You guys have provided alot of info...thanks for being here.

coach Al said:
helps when you turn up the volume.... guess it's been a really long day.

Thanks guys..

Coach Al

So everything is working now and you have Sky Angel I assume?

yes, we are up and running, recieving Sky Angel now. We watched alot of 'Banannas' shows this weekend. Good stuff. All that's left to do is hook up an airial antenna for locals. Thanks for everyone's help/advice.

Al

coach Al said:
:shocked It turned out to be a bad cable!!!
even more shocking, i was right :eek:
just kidding. I always go for the easiest (and cheapest) solution first, you'd be surprised how often that is the case.

First Time User needs Help

Ok,

I consider myself fairly technical Savy. But I am frustated. I am trying to get Sky Angel setup and not having any luck. Here is the scenario.

1. Wen to RadioShack and bought a Dual Reciever Dish Package. It came with a Dish 500 and Two basic Revievers DP311T.

2. I dug a hole and buried a 4x4 post 4' into the ground with Cement, made sure it was Plumb and attached the Dish.

3. I connected the RG6 cable to one of the LNB's on the Dish 500 (the one labeled 119 which is on the left as you look from the back of the dish.)

4. I connected it to the reciever and hooked up a TV.

5. Going through the setup on the reciever I selected the 61.5 Sat. I checked my angles. It tells me N/A - It says I need to select the 110, or 119 sat to get angles. So I went to Sky Angels site. I entered My ZIP which is 54601. It tells me AZ 140 and Horizon 31.

6. I point my dish in that direction (SE 140 on my compas) and set the angle for 31. The Skew is set at 90 (default). No signal to be found. I have a wide open view of the southern sky. I move it around, nothing. I turn it SW and I can get SAT 119 with a Signal of 107. But I can get no signal from 61.5

7. I called Sky Angel and they said my settings should be Az 139, Horizon 31 and Skew 90. I tried those and still no signal.

As I said I can get a great signal from Sat 119, but nothing from 61.5. Any ideas. Is there a problem using the Dish 500 to do this??? Does it matter what Transponder is set on the Receiver?

Help!!!

Bilboman7 said:
Ok,

I consider myself fairly technical Savy. But I am frustated. I am trying to get Sky Angel setup and not having any luck. Here is the scenario.

1. Wen to RadioShack and bought a Dual Reciever Dish Package. It came with a Dish 500 and Two basic Revievers DP311T.

2. I dug a hole and buried a 4x4 post 4' into the ground with Cement, made sure it was Plumb and attached the Dish.

3. I connected the RG6 cable to one of the LNB's on the Dish 500 (the one labeled 119 which is on the left as you look from the back of the dish.)

4. I connected it to the reciever and hooked up a TV.

5. Going through the setup on the reciever I selected the 61.5 Sat. I checked my angles. It tells me N/A - It says I need to select the 110, or 119 sat to get angles. So I went to Sky Angels site. I entered My ZIP which is 54601. It tells me AZ 140 and Horizon 31.

6. I point my dish in that direction (SE 140 on my compas) and set the angle for 31. The Skew is set at 90 (default). No signal to be found. I have a wide open view of the southern sky. I move it around, nothing. I turn it SW and I can get SAT 119 with a Signal of 107. But I can get no signal from 61.5

7. I called Sky Angel and they said my settings should be Az 139, Horizon 31 and Skew 90. I tried those and still no signal.

As I said I can get a great signal from Sat 119, but nothing from 61.5. Any ideas. Is there a problem using the Dish 500 to do this??? Does it matter what Transponder is set on the Receiver?

Help!!!
Iy would be a lot easier if you were using a standard LNB rather than a twin. I suspect that is part of your problem also make sure you are on like transponder 29 or so not all transponders are active on 61.5

I borrowed a single LNB dish from a friends old dish system and I got a signal. Any ideas how to make the dual work? Is it even compatable???

With a dish 500 antenna, you are typically pointing it directly in the middle between two satellites 9 degrees apart. So, when using 119 and 110, the dish is actually pointed at 114.5. The signals bounce over each other as the 119 is on the "east" side of the dish.

Instead of pointing the "correct" direction for 61.5, if you are trying to get it on the 119 side of a dish 500, you should point between 61.5 and an imaginary satellite at 52.5 which is 57

I plugged 57 into the calculator at sadoun.com and it says your azimuth should be 135.5. (Ignore the skew and elevation numbers for 57 and use the correct ones you already have for 61.5)

Or, if you can get a single/dual LNBF (legacy would work and very inexpensive nowadays - I have a few extras if you want one for say $5 + shipping) and an "I-adaptor" ($8 + shipping from dishstore.net), then you can stick that on the end of the dish500 and point it in the "correct" direction.

Left feeling a little hungry...

I knew going into SkyAngel, that there would be limited amount of entertaining TV shows. Outside of a weekend movie, Banannas, and a few kid shows (Kimba, Flying House, etc...) there isn't much else on except preaching. Have to keep reminding myself that we're doing this because regular 'tv' was getting to explicit for kids to watch. Guess it's going to take some time for me to adjust. :rolleyes:

skyangel

while I understand you picked skyangel for your children, you may want to look into getting lifeline cable (like 10-13 bucks a month) it will give you local channels and a couple cable channels. or you may want to get directv or dish network and on the tv's the kids watch only allow nickelodeon, cartoon network, pbs, and have it so any other channels will request a password that you can keep secret.

or just have directv or dish network on a tv that the kids dont watch.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but i believe that kids learn by example and thus will have to set one for them. besides, i can always pop in a 'kids tested/parents approved' DVD.

Keep'em safe

Coach Al :)

Al, if i am not mistaken sky angel is a subscription based service. So even if you are locked onto the right sat. i think it is 61.5 you still need a smart card to be activated in order to descramble the signal. I subscribed a few years ago, at about $10.00 per month. Problem was there just wasn't enough variety for my taste. FTA, carries several Christian stations along with all the rest. So i opted dfor FTA.

neil_kc1 said:
Al, if i am not mistaken sky angel is a subscription based service. So even if you are locked onto the right sat. i think it is 61.5 you still need a smart card to be activated in order to descramble the signal. I subscribed a few years ago, at about $10.00 per month. Problem was there just wasn't enough variety for my taste. FTA, carries several Christian stations along with all the rest. So i opted dfor FTA.

yes sky angel is a subscription service :)

FTA does have some christian services, TBN Daystar and JCTV come to mind :)

neil_kc1 said:

Well, the only problem I see with that is by jumping ship, if everyone jumped ship, it would never get better. So, now you are not paying for any TV, why not just keep the $12 bucks headed to Sky so they can keep their subscriber numbers up and continue to get better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts