Status
Please reply by conversation.

kb2kir

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Norwich, NY
Hi,
Just drug home a one piece perforated Aluminum BUD. FREE!!
It has a crank actuator for Az and turnbuckle for El.
This is ok because I plan to set it and forget it.

A few questions though: It has a Chaparral mount with what appears to be
a dual band setup (2 Uniden LNA,s both # UST-441, 75 deg. K noise temp.
that output 3.7-4.2 Ghz, with UST-550 block downconverters that output
.095-1.45 Ghz.)
My question is may I use this setup with my CS/ 6000 to receive C-band FTA?
Or would I be better off getting a new c/ku LNB that fits the mount?
Thanks,
Joe

I would ditch that feed & LNA setup and go for a newer setup. 75 degree LNA's on C band were marginal at best even on the strongest transponders back when I used to install those things. Having to go from the LNA ( the reason for having two is for each polarity H & V, and the receiver would switch them) to a downconverter with the HEAVY cable between , is another source of signal loss.
The newer LNB's don't have that problem and have a much lower noise figure.
And they work good for weaker transponders.
grusome

great find good luck with your project.
some of the newer lnbf's would probably give that old dish new life .
keep up informed and post a pic of your stationary dish once you have it set.

grusome:
Thanks for the advice, (its a dinosaur eh?) will order new LNB.
Which one: the BSC 621, or BCS 621-2.
I do not grasp the switching method. One is DiSeQc
The other uses ??? 22Khz??? how does it switch bands/ polarities?
I have a 4 port DiSeQc and 4 dishes so if I need 2 for the c/ku switch
that means one dish has to go???? as the C/s 6000 only shows the ability to switch between 4 LNBs
How would I solve that problem?
Thansk in advance for your help.
Joe

Last edited:
If you have a 4port diseqc and 4 dishes, you can get the bsc621 that switches by diseqc and put a 22k switch between the receiver and your current diseqc, and have the 2nd leg of the 22k switch go to your bsc621

Or if you want to use the bsc621 that has the interna 22k switch, then get 22k switch and place it between one of the ports on your diseqc so that you can connect two of your exising dishes to the 22k switch and free up one of your diseqc ports to connect your bsc621 through.

full disclosure

If you are looking for a low cost, fully integrated modern design LNBF instead of the traditional approach...

Sadoun sells a bandstacked C-band only LNBF, in addition to the BSC621.
All are listed on this web page.
You'd need a receiver capable of dealing with bandstacked (many are), but I mention it as an option.

Additionally, SatellteAV offers a dual-band C/Ku LNBF that's much like the BSC621.

grusome:
Thanks for the advice, (its a dinosaur eh?) will order new LNB.
Which one: the BSC 621, or BCS 621-2.
Yes, from one dinosaur to another (me to the the old c-band LNA setup that is!)
it's way out of date and really a waste of time messing with. Unless, you are a glutton for punishment!!

I do not grasp the switching method. One is DiSeQc
The other uses ??? 22Khz??? how does it switch bands/ polarities?
I have a 4 port DiSeQc and 4 dishes so if I need 2 for the c/ku switch
that means one dish has to go???? as the C/s 6000 only shows the ability to switch between 4 LNBs
How would I solve that problem?
Thansk in advance for your help.
Joe

I think the other posters here have given you some good advice on your choices.
A lot depends on the ability of the receiver you plan to use. And if you are planning to ever add a motor drive to move the dish. ( believe me, you will once you get it going and having to run back and forth cranking gets old fast!!)
There is a lot of stuff on C-band but, without a motor drive to move it, the fun goes out of it kind of fast.
grusome

now i'm totally confused if the 22k switch needs 22k to switch and so does the bsc621-2, how will it switch bands. BTW, I'm not sure what version 621 I need to purchase, the 621 or 621-2. My aim is to get both C and Ku on the BUD, maybe G10r.

grusome:
I have a C/S 6000. I'm just going to peg the dish on one satellite and take what comes my way. This is yet another hobby in addition to Flying, Amateur Radio and Motorcycling, so I don't want to go too crazy moneywise other than making it work correctly, so I'll crank it for now.
Any advice on using 22k switches and diseqc to make 5 or 6 LNBs work on a 4 port switch would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

grusome:
I have a C/S 6000. I'm just going to peg the dish on one satellite and take what comes my way. This is yet another hobby in addition to Flying, Amateur Radio and Motorcycling, so I don't want to go too crazy moneywise other than making it work correctly, so I'll crank it for now.
Any advice on using 22k switches and diseqc to make 5 or 6 LNBs work on a 4 port switch would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe
Your Coolsat should operate 22Khz switches just fine. You can put one before the DiseqC switch and have the 22khz OFF side going to the DiseqC switch. Set your first four lnbs up (all with 22Khz off) and then to add a 5th lnb, turn 22Khz on and set to no port. OR, you can add another 4 port DiseqC switch and have four more lnbs with the switch ON. Then, in your lnb settings, 22Khz ON and port #1, LNB yadda yadda, etc all the way to however many (up to four more) you wish to add .
Eight lnbs with one 22Khz switch and two DiseqC switchs.
grusome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)