Just got HR20 in Atlanta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

deltadave

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Atlanta
Saw the other post wanting the HR10-250....I was expecting that but got the HR20............

Update for y'all of my "How'd I do?" post………

Started a new one but in the first post I asked how I did getting all the deals everyone gets from retention but I was paying $299 for the receiver (HR10-250). Everyone told me to call back and get it free - I did.

The installation was supposed to be on the 5th but on the 5th the tech showed up and said "I don't have the receiver, I don't have the 5 LNB, but I do have the OTA which I will not install because it will not work this far from Atlanta." He told me he'd call later in the day and tell me if someone was bringing him one. He never called. I called D* yesterday and told them everything. Rep tells me that they will call contractor but don't worry about 5LNB because I am getting HR10-250. I told him I was told I'd get it and I wanted it. That really got nowhere. Late last night I got a call from the tech at 6. I was at work until midnight but the message didn't even say if he'd have a receiver for me.

Finally (good news), at 10 this morning I am awoken from a deep sleep by door the doorbell. The tech is there with my new box. Great news! Got the new model HD-DVR. He put the box in and that was it. No 5 LNB. Called retention back (I think they are getting tired of me), trying to straighten problem out. After an hour on the phone, the local contractor is supposed to call me and bring a 5 LNB out so I can get local channels in HD.

Going from a Samsung TIVO to a HDTV pic (only component cables right now) on my 56" JVC - I am blown away! I cannot wait to see the Bengals beat the Redskins on Sunday! I did see some HD football clips on ESPN-HD…wow. The recorder format is a huge change from the TIVO and is cumbersome right now, but I only had an hour to mess with it. Got tomorrow off work. Going out to buy HDMI cables and coming home to mess with it.

So, all-in-all:
D* retention…nice patient people
My installer….nice guy but very unknowledgeable. (he didn't even do my relocation for me … I didn't want him to but he was supposed to..not even an offer to do it).

So, the new receiver is at the D* installer's warehouses in Atlanta!

-dave

Good news

I call D* last night and they told me to go to bestbuy and get it they did not have it yet. what number did you call? I'm in athens so I think Iwould get it to.:D

I've been dealing with the customer retention number since I started this ordeal. When I called today to tell them they now needed to send the 5LNB out the rep was very surprised that I had the new receiver.

Between the contract installers and retention - one hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing........:)

deltadave said:
Saw the other post wanting the HR10-250....I was expecting that but got the HR20............

Update for y'all of my "How'd I do?" post………

Started a new one but in the first post I asked how I did getting all the deals everyone gets from retention but I was paying $299 for the receiver (HR10-250). Everyone told me to call back and get it free - I did.

The installation was supposed to be on the 5th but on the 5th the tech showed up and said "I don't have the receiver, I don't have the 5 LNB, but I do have the OTA which I will not install because it will not work this far from Atlanta." He told me he'd call later in the day and tell me if someone was bringing him one. He never called. I called D* yesterday and told them everything. Rep tells me that they will call contractor but don't worry about 5LNB because I am getting HR10-250. I told him I was told I'd get it and I wanted it. That really got nowhere. Late last night I got a call from the tech at 6. I was at work until midnight but the message didn't even say if he'd have a receiver for me.

Finally (good news), at 10 this morning I am awoken from a deep sleep by door the doorbell. The tech is there with my new box. Great news! Got the new model HD-DVR. He put the box in and that was it. No 5 LNB. Called retention back (I think they are getting tired of me), trying to straighten problem out. After an hour on the phone, the local contractor is supposed to call me and bring a 5 LNB out so I can get local channels in HD.

Going from a Samsung TIVO to a HDTV pic (only component cables right now) on my 56" JVC - I am blown away! I cannot wait to see the Bengals beat the Redskins on Sunday! I did see some HD football clips on ESPN-HD…wow. The recorder format is a huge change from the TIVO and is cumbersome right now, but I only had an hour to mess with it. Got tomorrow off work. Going out to buy HDMI cables and coming home to mess with it.

So, all-in-all:
D* retention…nice patient people
My installer….nice guy but very unknowledgeable. (he didn't even do my relocation for me … I didn't want him to but he was supposed to..not even an offer to do it).

So, the new receiver is at the D* installer's warehouses in Atlanta!

-dave

I hope the Bengals win on Sunday as well,but it`s the K.C. Chiefs that I want 2C go down in defeat,the other Native Americam team :D

Hddvr

just talked to crs and got hddvr for free and HD for free for 4 mnts. and HBO & show for $2.00 for 6mnts. the only ting is they could not tell me witch dvr i would get can only hope for HR should be here on the 12 of sept. the only reason i think it will be new one is they told me they would install the new 5 lmb dish. will let everyone know on the 12. wish me luck.

p.s. thanks for all the information on this site.

For your sake sguest9 I hope it is NOT the HR20. You will see soon enough what I mean if it is. But I guess that is my opinion.

GB33 said:
For your sake sguest9 I hope it is NOT the HR20. You will see soon enough what I mean if it is. But I guess that is my opinion.
It's amazing how much over-hype there is (not to mention loyalty) for the Tivo software. I still remember when it came out for the first time, and much of the feedback was "its too complicated" or "how is anyone supposed to figure this out". Of course, that was in the day of the VCR.

Now some folks can't function in life without their Tivo. Kinda like the Starbucks addicts.

What's interesting is that what really made it popular was its simplicity. Problem is, that was also it's downfall - not enough enhancements, bug fixes, and new technology provided. That's why there's been a cottage industry of "hacks" and "tweaks" - because Tivo itself failed to properly evolve. I personally felt the software was too "dumbed down".

Now we have about 30 days of life for the new software running on the new HR20 HD DVR's - only time will tell if it becomes accepted as well or better. Based on the huge demand for these newest HD boxes, it would appear that Tivo isn't the end-all or best-thing-since-sliced-bread software solution that some make it out to be. To me, the fact that some cable outfits are adopting it almost confirms Tivo may be on its last breath.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)