Just got voom installed!! Brand new software??

T2k said:
Yours says V00.01.04 - current version is V00.05.68
Which one seems to you newer? ;)
Current software version: V00.01.04
HAL Version: 00.06.00
Middleware version: 00.01.36
Guide version: 00.19.8E

Version 1.04 makes sence to me. Since it looks like they are seperating their versions of the guide and operating software. So this is a new format they may be deploying. Therefore, there could be a guide version update without having to make a software version update.

vurbano said:
did they fix the picture adjustment/geometry tools?

What needed fixing in the old one? Give me a point of reference and I'll let you know if anything changed.

lostcause said:
What needed fixing in the old one? Give me a point of reference and I'll let you know if anything changed.
voom button, green buttom, system,video ouput, horizontal and vertical postion didnt work.

I was hoping they would add horizontal and vertical stretch as well. That would keep most of us out of the service menus of our TV's.

Ok..I tried the hor. and vert. position and it really doesn't seem to do anything at all.

I'm guessing it's supposed to shift the picture one way or the other?

lostcause said:
Ok..I tried the hor. and vert. position and it really doesn't seem to do anything at all.

I'm guessing it's supposed to shift the picture one way or the other?
yup, that sucks

I just had a install on Tuesday............does that mean I got a used box seeing how I have old software and such

I'm still at a lost trying to figure out why it takes a act of Congress to have locals remapped.......can't just zap it like it was a new install?

rkr0923 said:
I'm still at a lost trying to figure out why it takes a act of Congress to have locals remapped.......can't just zap it like it was a new install?
I believe there is a database of DMA's and if you are in a certain area you get mapped to a certain market with a list of predefined channels. No they cant just zap it and change your OTA setup it would be a huge task to do that for evreyone that wants channels that are not mapped or channels from another market. I assume it would require an individual program tailord for each "case"

One other thing I found...as vurbano mentioned, there is no real stretch mode. For example, I'm watching one of my local channels..they are transmitting in 16:9 but pillarboxed with black bars on the side. With my dtv box, I could stretch it and eliminate the bars. Voom doesn't let me do this.

It does have an option to take a 4:3 broadcast and stretch or show it naturally with the side bars, but it won't stretch a 16:9 image even if it's pillarboxed. This sucks since most of my locals transmit like this unless it's a true HD broadcast. But most of their shows are 4:3 and on their digital channels they broadcast them with the side bars.

On the bright side, my dtv box doubles as a standalone OTA receiver, so worst case scenario is I will have to use it to view my locals unless it's a true HD broadcast.

lostcause said:
One other thing I found...as vurbano mentioned, there is no real stretch mode. For example, I'm watching one of my local channels..they are transmitting in 16:9 but pillarboxed with black bars on the side. With my dtv box, I could stretch it and eliminate the bars. Voom doesn't let me do this.

It does have an option to take a 4:3 broadcast and stretch or show it naturally with the side bars, but it won't stretch a 16:9 image even if it's pillarboxed. This sucks since most of my locals transmit like this unless it's a true HD broadcast. But most of their shows are 4:3 and on their digital channels they broadcast them with the side bars.
I was refering to adjusting a 16:9 picture to eliminate overscan without using a TV's service menu. You are talking about eliminating the bars an affiliate broadcasts OTA when they are showing 4:3 instead of 16:9. I havent had a reciever yet (hughes e86 with Directv) that could get rid of those. But I am not a fan of stretching a 4:3 image.

vurbano said:
I was refering to adjusting a 16:9 picture to eliminate overscan without using a TV's service menu. You are talking about eliminating the bars an affiliate broadcasts OTA when they are showing 4:3 instead of 16:9. I havent had a reciever yet (hughes e86 with Directv) that could get rid of those.

Ah...i misunderstood you about the stretch modes then......

If you set it up right, the hughes e86 gets rid of them just fine. If you still use it and want to know how, let me know.

Folks, the E86 is very capable of stretching a 4:3 show broadcast as 16:9 with black bars. I have been doing this for over a year now with it.

lostcause said:
Ah...i misunderstood you about the stretch modes then......

If you set it up right, the hughes e86 gets rid of them just fine. If you still use it and want to know how, let me know.
I can stretch 4:3 SD with the e86 but you cannot stretch 4:3 OTA from an HD station. they are adding the vertical side bars to the 1080i or 720p broadcast and you cannot get rid of them. If the station is broadcasting SD then you can. But then again I dont know why anyone would want to watch short fat people on their screen.

lostcause said:
Folks, the E86 is very capable of stretching a 4:3 show broadcast as 16:9 with black bars. I have been doing this for over a year now with it.
a 16:9 broadcast with black bars on the sides?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts