Just got voom installed!! Brand new software??

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2004
jawilljr said:
I have a LCD PJ (Sanyo Z2)... no burn in problems... that is for CRT's and Plasma users to worry about.

No Stretch-o-Rama for me... OAR all the way!!! :D

Jerry

hehehe...must be nice :) well... us po' folk, we have to worry about stuff like that...so...it's either stretch, or burn...

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
lostcause said:
hehehe...must be nice :) well... us po' folk, we have to worry about stuff like that...so...it's either stretch, or burn...
Ive been watching 4:3 on my RPTV with no burn. Of course I wouldnt let it go for 8 hours like that but I dont think it would burn even after 8 hours. And if I am ever inclined to watch 4:3 for that long then its time to find a new HD provider.

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
vurbano said:
Ive been watching 4:3 on my RPTV with no burn in.

Thats really the likely scenario for most, like you, that have spent the time to properly calibrate their set. This alone will mitigate burn-in for the most part.

bryan27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
Walsingham, ON
rkr0923 said:
If Voom would let other manufacturers make some stb we wouldn't have this problem.

Does E* still make it's own boxes? I always thought D* boxes were rather neat. Ones from even the same manufacturer would have suttle differences every few months. I had a Hughes box and an RCA box when I had D*. My hughes was the exact same model number as my brothers, but his had more color schemes, and I bough mine months after his.

This is all great news on the new software.

I do have a question for those with the new software. If you are receiving a stations that aren't in your DMA are you getting guide info for those stations or does the guide just say something like "no info" for the stations.

It doesn't really matter as long as I can tune to the stations I can receive. I'm still willing to bet I get the update before my channel map gets changed :haha

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
bryan27 said:
I'm still willing to bet I get the update before my channel map gets changed :haha

Thats most likely the case at this point.

When I got V* back in March I was missing several stations and they got mapped one at a time over a couple months time. I have them all now.

The OTA scan feature is a welcome implement, but I'm looking more forward to the micro-stutter being resolved and being able to bring up the guide on the channel I'm on.

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2004
I spent plenty of time calibrating my set when I got it. Overscan, geometry, service level convergence, etc... used Avia to set contrast, color, brightness, etc.. so I'm probably fairly safe from burn-in. For some reason though I'm still pretty paranoid about it.

I don't watch anything with side bars for more than a few hours at a time, but mostly what I watch that has the bars is local channels that there's no other option for (other than not watching the shows)

I guess maybe I'm just overly cautious.

barth2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
at some point ya just gotta relax and watch TV. and remember, if you burn it, you'll have an excuse to buy a new set. they're always coming out with better and shinier toys. as the president say, we must do our patriotic duty by going shopping :)

Ken F

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 8, 2004
If Voom would let other manufacturers make some stb we wouldn't have this problem.
It's not a question of "letting." Other manufacturers aren't interested unless they are paid to do it, as VOOM is paying Motorola now.

Sony quit producing their own DirecTV HDTV receivers a few years back (they've relabeled Zenith and LG models for the HD200 and HD300), because they felt it wasn't a worthwhile investment given the demand, competition, and reduced margins. If Sony can't justify development of their own DirecTV receiver, how could they possibly justify development of a VOOM receiver?

rkr0923

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 26, 2004
South
I just want one that performs all the functions we need, to enjoy Voom the way it is intended to be.

smodak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
Dish 811 can strech or zoom a 1080i 0r 720p signal (pillarboxed or not) with the * button on the remote. It works only for DVI/Component out though. :)

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
rkr0923 said:
I just want one that performs all the functions we need, to enjoy Voom the way it is intended to be.
I second that, what we have now is half a product operating on shoestrings and duct tape. That I just dont understand. D* had the features out there before voom started. It is an embarrassment to come out with a product/STb/remote that doesnt measure up to the already existing models.

Does this sound plausible:

"Mr Dolan!! Mr Dolan!! I got it to work! we can even change channels!"

"good son we need to get it out the door right away, I knew that QC department was expendible"."

"I knew all that garbage about studying other compaines STB's, thats what they call this dohicky right?, was just that, garbage"

How do you think a new car like the V* STB would sell?

Would you buy a computer with an operating system as crude as windows 3.1?

Could you come up with any reasonable excuse except poor planning?

Would you expect buyers to pay more for that computer simply because it has a faster processor but is saddled with an stone age OS that cant be upgraded by anyone but the manufacturer?

TechCop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 14, 2004
Aiken, SC
Rant Alert!!! Rant Alert!!!

vurbano said:
what we have now is half a product operating on shoestrings and duct tape.

Vurbano, I thought you were a loyal voomer? Now you are trashing the whole company...for what? A few missing features?

We ALL know the STB has some shortcomings. We also know they (the folks at voom) are working to correct that. Try making suggestions on ANYTHING (programming, stb's, or anyting else) to D* or E*. Hell, they could care less.

My VOOM stb's are reliable and fairly easy to operate. They meet my expectations for the most part. Maybe it's because I never had a HD box till now, but I like it.

I've been very impressed with the responsiveness of VOOM as a whole, since I started reading this forum back in February. Wilt has bent over backwards to deal with Lord-knows-how-many sticky problems, and from the postings, he has had pretty good luck. The channel list keeps growing longer, and they have definately improved both the content and the structure of the Cinema10 channels.

What do you want, breakfast in bed? :)

vinnyv07

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2004
I have been pretty happy with the VOOM STB also. Four mths ago I wasnt. It was slow and always locking up and now it rarely locks up. The mapping is a huge issue for alot of people.....so I could understand if you fall into that category you would be angry without being able to pull in a ch that you more than likely would get with ch mapping. I dont fall into that category. In my opinion, VOOM has done a good job overall....a new company will always have its snags. But ...one thing you could say, VOOM could have done a better job of choosing a company that has had alot of experience producing HD receivers. I dont know if Motorola has a track record with HD....but I havent seen any on the market before VOOM. The market has had HD receiver technology for some time now and have improved as great deal on the product that is being sold. You cant just pick a company because its the best deal....the product is what counts. The only HD receiver that I have used is RCA DTC-100...then I sold that and bought a 38in wide screen tube set from RCA that has a built in Directv HD receiver...which is the DTC-100. The DTC-100 was one of the first HD receivers for Directv on the market...its slow. But , the VOOM receiver is better...but shouldnt it be way better? It should have had everything ready to go...there should have been no need for software updates to make ch surfing faster. There should have been ch mapping and the ability to zoom and crop HD if you choose to do so. These things are out there already...all they had to do is copy other companies work. Im happy with the VOOM receiver because none of the problems with the receiver has really had an effect on my viewing so far...but at the same time I cant understand why these issues werent dealt with before launch.

rudolpht

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Unlike the DTC-100, revolutionary when it came out (I had one of the first back when there was 1 - count'em - 1 HD channel), but there was also many years of DirecTV & USSB low def programming & multiple generations of STBs. Voom came out with most of the latest feature sets and mucho HD concurrently. Cur a little slack. I'm sure the DVR will have issues but I bet quality control will be 10x better than dish that still doesn't do guides for OTA.

Instaead of discussing stretchovision & hacko slasho vision amongst the petulant, how about some new users talk about new features, e.g., menu items in setup, step by step OTA mapping, guide issues with mapped vs automapped channels, etc.

Remember if you can't get a weak signal (DESPITE BEING IN TITAN) then manual mapping isn't going to help.

bryan27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
Walsingham, ON
I like VOOM, yes there are some problems that I will complain about until fixed. I've had all the DBS providers even SA* at one point, and the installer was right in saying I would be happy with VOOM. I'll stick with them as they grow or go out of business.

After having VOOM my options now are VOOM w/OTA or just OTA. I won't go back to the other providers. If VOOM fails I'll go with plain OTA. I've been with just OTA before and if there is nothing I want to watch I'll turn it off and read a book or listen to the radio :)

Granted the VOOM "Executive Designed" Remote looks like something designed from Play School it is pre-loaded for Sony TVs. To my surprise it didn't need programmed and I have no need for my TV remote anymore. Once we get the OTA scanning I won't need my OTA STB remote either.

VOOM is a great service, but was rushed to get an STB out and service started before their FCC license expired. Hopefully with the new software comming soon (I hope it's tonight, after all it will be Monday) most of our problems will be solved or at least lessened.

electr0n

SatelliteGuys Family
May 27, 2004
Austin, TX
I second that rudolpht - let's hear about what the new software does!

Reference this link to tell us what has been resolved - it would be greatly appreciated!

Software bug link

I hope that I inserted that link right.

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
TechCop said:
Vurbano, I thought you were a loyal voomer? Now you are trashing the whole company...for what? A few missing features?
:)
Yup I am a voomer, but I am not blind and I expect a new STB to work as good as the ones already on the market. Just as you would expect any product to work.

AS far as breakfast in bed goes, no just give us the eggs and the pan. Ill make my own. But oops i cant. I still cant stretch my OTA to eliminate the side bars like I can with the already outdated hughes e86!!!!! I cant even do a simple horizontal and vertical position!

And IMHO when I get this software update we will have gone from 1/2 the product the hughes e86 is to 3/4. Its progress but at this late date it is embarrassing.

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2004
electr0n said:
I second that rudolpht - let's hear about what the new software does!

Reference this link to tell us what has been resolved - it would be greatly appreciated!

Software bug link

I hope that I inserted that link right.

Ok, I don't have time to go through them all, but here's issues from that link. After the issue I've stated in parentheses whether it's fixed, not fixed, or I don't know or I haven't checked. Hope this helps a little.

1. No sound (or picture) after switching channels (I get about one second of no audio/video or pixelization while the channel is tuned)
2. Temporary screen black-out or "snow" effect when switching from one resolution to another (haven't checked)
3. TVs with non-HDCP compliant DVI inputs are no longer supported. (Don't know)
4. Lockup when rapidly switching channels (something similar happened once)
5. Microstutter/frame drop on all channels, including OTA (may be fixed..I haven't seen anything that looks like this)
6. Problems with Closed Captioning (don't know)
7. Stuck pixels after navigating through the Program Guide (don't know)
8. Unable to save video output adjustments (don't know)
9. The program planner doesn't always switch the channel (don't know)
10. Black screen after pressing WATCH in Configuration (something similar has happened to me once)
11. Wrong Polarity Displayed in "manual tuning" (don't know)
12. Vertical colored line in the middle of the screen on (all) SD channels (haven't seen this)
13. Program Planner does not work with PlayboyHD: the STB locks up (don't know

Most Wanted Features
(This list is far from being complete. Please post your additional requests in this thread)
1. OTA channel scanning/manual tuning (yes..it works)
2. Discrete power on/off IR codes for programmable remotes (don't know)
3. PG should start on current channel (only when using "All channels")
4. Search feature for the PG (don't know..haven't looked)
5. Ability to scroll the PG one line at a time (by just pressing the arrows on the remote, it will scroll the guide one channel at a time on the bottom of the screen)
6. A full-screen option in PG (does not have it..only 5 channels at a time are shown)
7. One-button PG (instead of VOOM+OK) (only when you press "fav")
8. Channels that are not subscribed should not be shown (doesn't have this feature..you have to set your own channel list in favorites)
9. A menu option to change resolution (yes..in installation wizard)
10. An option to have transparent menus to help avoid burn-in(does not have this option)
11. Ability to enter sub-channels (e.g. 5-3) (does not have this option)
12. Ability to un-lock channels (parental control) for several hours (don't know)
13. Program planner should allow for daily or weekly repeats (don't know)
14. Multiple Favorite lists (no..only one fav list)
15. A semi-native resolution mode, where only 720p is converted to 1080i (don't know)
16. On-screen CallerID display (doesn't have this option)

Hope this helps a little

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Ive taken the 29 items and deleted the do not know or doesnt have to see what they added for sure. Also the one line channel PG, it has that now. Just press the down arrow. And the Fav button brings up the PG now so thats not new either. So here it is:

Of the 1st 13 no real confirmation of any change.

Most Wanted Features

1. OTA channel scanning/manual tuning (yes..it works)
3. PG should start on current channel (only when using "All channels")
9. A menu option to change resolution (yes..in installation wizard)

SO how many months did it take these programmers to give us 3 new features?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts