Just ordered Emotiva XPA-5

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Gonna wall mount the ol 64" Samsung, move my center out of it's cubby hole to get better sound, move the Marantz there and put the Emo amp where the Marantz is. Gonna power the Fronts and Center off the Emo.

Any recommendations on preout cables I should buy for the run from the Marantz to the Amp. I also need to buy new speaker wire, any recommendations on gauge? Gonna build a monoprice order soon.

xpa3_back_closesm.jpg

Im thinking these XLR from mono price:

47771.jpg

Why are you mixing XLR and RCA? With a short distance I just use RCA. Why not just go with the 5 channel amp ;)

S~

Yeah, I ixnayed that cable :)

Got some nice analog interconnects from BJeans cable. My small KEF rears are on the wireless audio kit of theirs. Each has a dedicated 50W amp.

Good on dropping that one. I'd still probably do a 5 channel amp to avoid upgrading again. Amps are something you shouldn't need to upgrade unless they blow up.

S~

Since the marantz and emotiva will end up in the PJ room, at some point :), I'll probably end up selling this amp (or keeping it for the living room) and getting something larger. I didnt wanna go overboard yet, since I dont know what speakers Im buying. Ive looked at Klipsch Reference, Golden Ear and Swans. Just no idea and I need to audition them before dropping $2000-4000.

I write for an audio magazine, and I dont change amplifiers very often.

my current amps are 3 years old, and replaced amps that were 5 years old.

are these the class h amplifiers that they used to sell? class h amplifiers tend to run on the cooler side which extend their lifetime.

hope you enjoy your new toys!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

My $0.02. Get a 5-7 channel amp. Keep the Marantz in the living room when you're done with the theater room (puts out more than enough power on its own), and get a dedicated processor to go with the amp in the PJ room once done.

S~

Thanks John!

The XPA line is Class A/B, the MPS lins is Class H.

Number of Channels: 3
Input Impedance:
Unbalanced – 47kohms
Balanced – 33kohm
Transformer Size:
850VA
Secondary capacitance: 60,000uF
Output Devices: 6 per channel
Amplifier Gain: 32db
Signal to Noise Ratio
1 watt: > 98db
Full Power: < 112db

Size:
Unboxed: 17” wide x 7.75” high x 19” deep
Boxed: 23.25" wide x 11.5" high x 24.5" deep
Topology: Fully Discrete, Dual Differential, High Current, Short Signal Path Class A/B
Power output (all channels driven):
300 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)
Power Band Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than .05db deviation at rated power
Broadband Frequency Response(-3db): 5Hz to 150kHz

Those are the specs on the 3, which sells for $600 right now. Really great price by all accounts ive read.

My $0.02. Get a 5-7 channel amp. Keep the Marantz in the living room when you're done with the theater room (puts out more than enough power on its own), and get a dedicated processor to go with the amp in the PJ room once done.

S~

That was also a line of thinking as well. I looked at the Emo processor, but they dont appear to come with any Audyssey type of calibration software, so Ill have to look at other ideas. I guess a Marantz Processor with MultiEQ XT would be wise.

I love the look of this thing

xpa3_top.jpg

Its funny, it weighs over twice as much as the Marantz.

Wise move. Should you want to get rid of it down the road, it is much easier to sell a 5 channel amp as opposed to 3.

S~

What do you think about AVR as preamp or preamp? The Anthem MX300 has great reviews, can be used as a preamp, and has the well liked ARC SW. Not bad for $999.

Thanks John, and I love the look as well. Surprisingly, as I've been reading on separates since yesterday, their is a pretty heated debate with the AVR crew on one side and the separates crew on the other. I think room and speakers have a lot to do with what you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)