Just ordered HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Alright I joined the party. Couldnt stand on the side any longer. I called Directv today and got $200+ worth of credits and then ordered a unit from amazon.com. They couldnt guarantee an HR24 so I went with the credits. I will put my existing HR20 in the bedroom to replace the H23. Looking forward to the speed of the HR24.

The installer just left. I did get an HR24 and the installer showed me where Directv had it sent in that I had requested one. Right now its installing the update, exceptionally fast I may add. I will be playing all night... And remembering what I had set to record to add to this receivef. This is an awesome receiver. Very happy :)

ENJOY Brewer and Jerry. Very nice unit indeed.

Not much I can say about it, other than VERY FAST.

A New GUI and this puppy will challenge the VIP722 as best in class.

A New GUI and this puppy will challenge the VIP722 as best in class.
To be fair, it's a couple OTA tuners short and lacking features like picture-in-picture.

The video I've seen from the HR24 is encouraging and has me convinced to make the switch, but it doesn't quite have feature parity with the 722 even with a new UI. It does, however, have things the 722 doesn't have like network-based MRV.

To be fair, it's a couple OTA tuners short and lacking features like picture-in-picture.

The video I've seen from the HR24 is encouraging and has me convinced to make the switch, but it doesn't quite have feature parity with the 722 even with a new UI. It does, however, have things the 722 doesn't have like network-based MRV.

To be fair the HR24 can get OTA added, just like the 722 can when you add a module.

Directv has no PIP, and no plans to. Directv has much better On Demand setup, channel specific and simple to use. I think almost anyone who has seen both would agree with that.

They both have their pros and cons. For me it still comes down to program offerings, I like sports, that kills Dish.

To be fair the HR24 can get OTA added, just like the 722 can when you add a module.
Not the same -- they aren't shared with the satellite tuners. With a Dish 722k you can record 4 things at the same if you use 2 OTA sources + 2 sat sources.

Directv has no PIP, and no plans to.
Which is a bummer. Much less of a deal breaker for me now that I've added a 2nd source with my Shaw Direct service and can manage PiP through my TV.

They both have their pros and cons. For me it still comes down to program offerings, I like sports, that kills Dish.
Absolutely. About 4-5 years ago before I got HD, Dish had a clear advantage with Center Ice because they were showing both the home and away game feeds while DirecTV was still only picking a single feed per game. Now DirecTV has the clear winning position and will be the principle factor in my switching over. Content is king; but content isn't a factor in "best in class" hardware. Dish really does have something to brag about with their VIP receivers.

espaeth,

You could always put a second receiver in your main viewing area, and use it for the second source on picture in a picture. With MRV/DECA you could watch recorded programming from either receiver, and it would give you four tuners to record from. You could put an AM-21 on just one of them.....

For the rest of the house you could get H24's for HD programming and MRV/DECA on the other two receivers would allow you to view the recordings on the DVR's.

I have three HR DVRS and one H24....six tuners of recording capability is plenty....even with kids!

On the topic of feature parity, D*'s MRV setup is IMO much better than E*'s dual room setup. The way E* does it has been one thing that has always kept me from switching to E*.

Directv has no PIP, and no plans to. Directv has much better On Demand setup, channel specific and simple to use. I think almost anyone who has seen both would agree with that.

While your correct that the HR24 CAN get OTA signals with an addl piece of equipment, it would have been VERY easy for them to put a OTA tuner back in them, but that would have taken away thier opportunity to sell thier Sat delivered signal.

Other than that, the HR24 has been GREAT !

I'm not sure how much money they saved when the took the OTA tuner out of the HR2x boxes, but the HR20s were $299 and the HR21s were $199. So even when you add the AM21 to the cost, it's still less than the HR20 was.

I'm not sure how much money they saved when the took the OTA tuner out of the HR2x boxes, but the HR20s were $299 and the HR21s were $199. So even when you add the AM21 to the cost, it's still less than the HR20 was.

Those OTA boards probably cost them about a dime a piece.

Directv has no PIP, and no plans to.

I am a PIP fan. I wish Directv would support it but its not a deal breaker for me. I use a Slingcatcher to go after the 2nd unit and use my TV to do the PIP. It would be nice if it was native. There are dozens of times my kids are watching something and I want to casually catch a game. Most times I result to using Slingbox on my laptop.

I am a PIP fan. I wish Directv would support it but its not a deal breaker for me. I use a Slingcatcher to go after the 2nd unit and use my TV to do the PIP. It would be nice if it was native. There are dozens of times my kids are watching something and I want to casually catch a game. Most times I result to using Slingbox on my laptop.

What ?
You let the kids control your TV ?
You don't have one for them set up in a different room ?

What ?
You let the kids control your TV ?
You don't have one for them set up in a different room ?

Jimbo to stop the complaining, arguing, screaming I let them have the 48" LED. Thats why I went wireless N, Directv2pc and Slingbox. Outside of midnight, its my way of actually getting some tv in. The screaming, the screaming........:rant:

Jimbo to stop the complaining, arguing, screaming I let them have the 48" LED. Thats why I went wireless N, Directv2pc and Slingbox. Outside of midnight, its my way of actually getting some tv in. The screaming, the screaming........:rant:

Tell them to quit screaming or you'll take them out and make others to take thier place :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)