Just switched from Comcast and I am a bit lost

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OakIris

Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Colorado
I am sure there is thread somewhere here that would answer my questions, or a tutorial on the net, or.... but I have not yet located it (really, I did do a search here!) I just switched to Comcast last week. I didn't switch because I was dissatisfied with their service but because I just couldn't afford it anymore. :eek: I was, in fact, quite happy with them and used them for Internet, phone and cable TV. The DirecTVpicture is nice, but, to be honest, I don't really notice the big difference in quality that the salesman promised (what, I wasn't supposed to believe him?!? ;) ) The HD picture looks fine and the SD channel picture is just as lousy (in comparison to HD) as that provided by Comcast. In other ways I find the service somewhat disappointing; part of this may be the learning curve as DirecTV does things a bit differently than Comcast, or maybe I just am not looking in the right place. 1)Channel line up: The “Tips & Tricks” booklet that they gave us had the lineup as of May, 2012; it lists the web address where updated info is supposed to be, but the address does not exist and I could not find anything else on the DirecTV website, or via a Google search. I would just like to know what channels I am supposed to be able to get; I believe I have the Choice package. Where is this info located? 2)Search Function: Unless I am not seeing it (which is very possible) I can't find a user-friendly way to search for shows on DirecTV. The only search function I can find on DirecTV is a rather lame “keypad” search where you move the cursor around to select letters in order to type in the name of the program you want to search for. You need the name of the show, or someone in the show/movie, or some sort of keyword. Comcast does have a similar system, but they also have a much more user-friendly search method – a large list of categories and sub-categories that you can click on to find the shows that match what you are looking for. For example, you can click on Sports, then click on the sub-category of Football, and Comcast will give you the list of all the games and programs, college, NFL, etc., that are playing at that time and for the rest of the day. Does DirecTV have anything similar? 3)On Demand: Comcast has hundreds of On Demand programs – movies, documentaries, series, etc., from which you can choose – the majority of the programs are actually free (some depending upon what package you have, of course, as far as Premium channels are concerned.) It is a wonderful resource. Does DirecTV have anything like this? I can't seem to find it if so. I am sure I will get used to DirecTV and some of my frustration is no doubt due to my unfamiliarity with the system, but right now I am finding DirecTV rather crippled in comparison to Comcast, so any help would be much appreciated! Holly

DirecTV has OnDemand. But it works a bit differently from Comcast. It starts on channel 1000. It is broken down channel by channel as well; if you want that you add a 1 in front of the channel. For instance CNN is on channel 202, so CNN OnDemand is channel 1202. They have NBC & ABC but no CBS. You'll have to DVR anything on CBS that you want. It isn't instantly watchable like Comcast. Instead you have to wait for it download and then you can watch it like any other DVR recording. How fast it downloads depends on how fast your internet connection is. Which brings me to the last point; you must have a broadband internet connection for it to work and have your receiver connected to that internet connection.

If you go into the search through the menu key on the remote, you can search genre and on a host of others. Menu > Search & Browse > All Movies/On Demand/TV Shows > By Genre.

There's a listing of the available channels in each package on the Packages page. Most of the other guide resources don't restrict by package.

DIRECTV's own web-based guide is here:

Thank you, harshness. (Forum rules for new posters apparently don't allow me to have links in my posts so I had to delete them from the quote.) I actually have the Choice Xtra package. From what I can see on the two links you gave, the only choice is to actually write your own guide! On the packages link it doesn't seem to show the actual channel number, and you have to scroll down "forever" to find each of the channels included in the package, and the guide link shows you what is playing but there is no way to sort it by channels that you actually get. Frustrating! I guess I will just hope that DirectTV is delivering what they promised until I have the time to take on this project.

DirecTV has OnDemand. But it works a bit differently from Comcast. It starts on channel 1000. It is broken down channel by channel as well; if you want that you add a 1 in front of the channel. For instance CNN is on channel 202, so CNN OnDemand is channel 1202. They have NBC & ABC but no CBS. You'll have to DVR anything on CBS that you want. It isn't instantly watchable like Comcast. Instead you have to wait for it download and then you can watch it like any other DVR recording. How fast it downloads depends on how fast your internet connection is. Which brings me to the last point; you must have a broadband internet connection for it to work and have your receiver connected to that internet connection.

If you go into the search through the menu key on the remote, you can search genre and on a host of others. Menu > Search & Browse > All Movies/On Demand/TV Shows > By Genre.

Wow, so DirecTV's version of "On Demand" depends upon you having an Internet connection to your receiver, which I do not have. Unbelievable and very disappointing. :mad: Needless to say the salesperson made absolutely no mention of this.

I did find a better way to search last night - going to the guide and pressing the green button on the remote to sort programs; still not as user friendly, IMHO, as Comcast's, because the list doesn't show you what time the program is on, you have to click on it and check the time, but still better than the keypad search method. I will check out the method you suggest, too, KoolBreeze; it sounds as if it is better than what I "discovered" last night.

I am beginning to regret my switch to DirecTV, especially because I will be missing out on "On Demand," but, as they say, I made my bed and now I have to lie in it! :river That is what happens when I don't do my research first - my partner is the one that wanted the switch because of the expense of Comcast and made that decision in one day while I was at work, I had no time to do any research. (That's my excuse, anyway. :p )

Holly

Last edited:
OakIris,

The infrastructure is different. DirecTV is satellite. It is not wired as is the case with cable companies like Comcast. Cable companies' On Demand is delivered through their broadband. You select what to watch on cable's On Demand, and it comes up immediately. On satellite, with DirecTV (and Dish Network), the delivery of On Demand can only be done through the Internet.

What do you think of DirecTV's channel lineup?

If you have a ipod touch 4G or iphone (or maybe even an Andriod device?), I highly recommend you download and use the free DIRECTV app. Just about anything that isn't set up as a series recording on my HR34 genie is scheduled through the app because I find it excruciatingly slow to trudge through the onscreen program guide looking for stuff to pop into the DVR for recording.

With the app, I can look at two weeks of any channel(s) I want quickly and easily and a couple of taps on the event sets it up to record.

I assume you have to be internet connected with the HR34 (since it probably takes my requests from the app and communicates my recording desire to my HR34 through the internet instead of a satellite datastream). Once you get naked DSL, you should be all set to connect your receiver to the internet to use the smartdevice app and also snag any on-demand you want.

OakIris, The infrastructure is different. DirecTV is satellite. It is not wired as is the case with cable companies like Comcast. Cable companies' On Demand is delivered through their broadband. You select what to watch on cable's On Demand, and it comes up immediately. On satellite, with DirecTV (and Dish Network), the delivery of On Demand can only be done through the Internet. What do you think of DirecTV's channel lineup?

I will look into getting the equipment needed so that I can get On Demand programs. I have a wireless router but it is in my computer room, not near the DirecTV DVR, so maybe a power line adaptor, or...?? I really wasn't planing to have to spend more money on equipment just so that I could have what I already had for "free" with Comcast, but we will see. As for the channel lineup, not sure yet. I haven't had much time to explore to see what is available that perhaps wasn't with Comcast, and vice versa. Sadly, I see that DirecTV does not carry any of the Encore channels, so that was a disappointment. The only sports we like to watch are football (mostly NFL,) women's soccer, women's basketball, some tennis, so the many sports channels DirecTV has to offer are a bit wasted on us.

If you have a ipod touch 4G or iphone (or maybe even an Andriod device?), I highly recommend you download and use the free DIRECTV app. Just about anything that isn't set up as a series recording on my HR34 genie is scheduled through the app because I find it excruciatingly slow to trudge through the onscreen program guide looking for stuff to pop into the DVR for recording. With the app, I can look at two weeks of any channel(s) I want quickly and easily and a couple of taps on the event sets it up to record. I assume you have to be internet connected with the HR34 (since it probably takes my requests from the app and communicates my recording desire to my HR34 through the internet instead of a satellite datastream). Once you get naked DSL, you should be all set to connect your receiver to the internet to use the smartdevice app and also snag any on-demand you want.

Sounds like a pretty good set up. Unfortunately, I have none of those devices, too poor to get a "real" wireless carrier with decent phones, so only have partially dumb phones. lol

Holly

I will look into getting the equipment needed so that I can get On Demand programs. I have a wireless router but it is in my computer room, not near the DirecTV DVR, so maybe a power line adaptor, or...?? I really wasn't planing to have to spend more money on equipment just so that I could have what I already had for "free" with Comcast, but we will see. As for the channel lineup, not sure yet. I haven't had much time to explore to see what is available that perhaps wasn't with Comcast, and vice versa. Sadly, I see that DirecTV does not carry any of the Encore channels, so that was a disappointment. The only sports we like to watch are football (mostly NFL,) women's soccer, women's basketball, some tennis, so the many sports channels DirecTV has to offer are a bit wasted on us.

Sounds like a pretty good set up. Unfortunately, I have none of those devices, too poor to get a "real" wireless carrier with decent phones, so only have partially dumb phones. lol

Holly
DirecTV does carried alot the Encore Channels but only one in HD

Give Directv a call and ask them to provide you a Cinema connection kit. It will help hook up your internet to your receiver and should have been included during the installation. I would think that they would provide this at no additional cost if you are polite to them and let them know what is going on.

Thank you, harshness. (Forum rules for new posters apparently don't allow me to have links in my posts so I had to delete them from the quote.) I actually have the Choice Xtra package. From what I can see on the two links you gave, the only choice is to actually write your own guide! On the packages link it doesn't seem to show the actual channel number, and you have to scroll down "forever" to find each of the channels included in the package, and the guide link shows you what is playing but there is no way to sort it by channels that you actually get. Frustrating! I guess I will just hope that DirectTV is delivering what they promised until I have the time to take on this project.

I hope this link helps:
http://www.att.com/Common/PDF/DIRECTV_English_Channel_Lineup.pdf

I dislike when anyone is not satisfied with their TV service regardless of the provider. However, I think my link will help with your current frustration(s).

I also recommend creating a favorites list.

Holly

The DVR doesn't need to be near the router nor do you need cat5 available near the DVR. Using the Cinema Connection Kit (as suggest by JAG72 above) your DVR will be connected to your internet connection via it's coax cable. The Cinema Connection kit is small device that connects to your router and the DirecTV coax. The connection to your router can be wired (via ethernet/cat5) or wireless. But I understand where you are coming from, I also think that Comcast's OnDemand is a lot better than what DirecTV offers. But at this point I haven't had a chance to really dig into DirecTV's OnDemand. I just don't care for having to wait for it download versus streaming it when I want to watch it. And I don't like not having CBS OnDemand.

If you like football, especially NFL football, then DirecTV has the best thing available in the NFL Sunday Ticket packages. For an NFL fan, like myself, that alone is reason enough to chose DirecTV over everyone else. Having every single game available at my fingertips has already hooked me and I'd have a difficult time giving that up at this point.

Having been with DirecTV for years, and only having to go to Comcast this last year due to line of sight issues, I can honestly say I can't wait to get back to DirecTV.

First of all, the DirecTV boxes are miles ahead of their Motorola boxes any day... I got a TiVo Premiere to make it bearable (which it has), but would hate dealing with their regular boxes.

Secondly, you will find that the DirecTV channels are lined up much better. The Comcast channel lineup (at least here) are basically thrown all over the place... Also the SD and HD channels are on different numbers... E.g on D*, History (in HD) is on 269, while H2 is on 271 -- next to each other. Comcast has H2 (which is SD) on 276 while History (in HD) is on 671 -- and it is like this for a number of their channels... To have a list of all my subbed HD and SD channels, while removing the SD duplicates makes it very confusing to channel surf. D automatically assumes you want HD, so they replace the SD with the HD on the same version.

Another thing you'll find is that D carries all the movie channels (well except for he Encore Themes, Flix, TMC and HBO Family West) in HD... The ONLY HD movie channels I have now in HD wi Comcast is HBO, HBO Plus, Signature, Sho West, Max west and Starz West. That's it--and it doesn't make them worth paying for. I only keep HBO/Sho these days--and even then I don't watch nearly as much as I used to.

I think once you figure out the differences, you'll find you like D much better--get the Cinema Connection Kit and hook it up to your internet... Think of it as Directv using the same pipe for the On Demand as the cable company (if you have cable Internet)

Earlier this year, DirecTV reached a new deal to expand the what the company currently carries with the Encore programming. MoviePlex. IndiePlex. RetroPlex. Not aware how much of this will get added in high definition. There are numerous Encores availabel in HD; but not every single screen is available in that format.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses! Once I am past the learning curve I am sure I will come to appreciate DirecTV - just need some more patience and research! I will definitely be reading more about it here on SateliteGuys. Thank you for the channel line up, Mojo Jojo, too.

I will contact DirecTV about the Cinema Connection kit - free would be wonderful! I would like to know why the company that sold me the service and did the installation didn't offer this - apparently it is free at installation so that does not make me happy! I may call them first.....

Looking forward to getting into the DirecTV adventure! Thank you all again for your kind assistance. :)

Holly

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)