Just switched....now concerned

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jonesdpd

Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Northern California
Last night, I switched to Direct TV from Comcast. I had done some research and then listened to a sales pitch. After getting home, I found out that the claim that our sales guy made..."We now have On Demand. It has everything Comcast has, but more, and in HD." I found that to be untrue...I think.

Please help me out.

Is it true that you have to download all On Demand content meaning the download process starts "on demand", but you don't get to watch it until it's ready?

Second, part of the sales pitch was "everything Comcast has, but more." We then found out that certain subscription "On Demand" services like WWE Classics (formerly WWE24/7) are not on Direct TV. I also read that there are no plans to add this service.

I'm nervous that I got suckered into a sales pitch and will continue to find more and more things that I will not like about Direct TV.

Comments?

Last night, I switched to Direct TV from Comcast. I had done some research and then listened to a sales pitch. After getting home, I found out that the claim that our sales guy made..."We now have On Demand. It has everything Comcast has, but more, and in HD." I found that to be untrue...I think.

Please help me out.

Is it true that you have to download all On Demand content meaning the download process starts "on demand", but you don't get to watch it until it's ready?

Second, part of the sales pitch was "everything Comcast has, but more." We then found out that certain subscription "On Demand" services like WWE Classics (formerly WWE24/7) are not on Direct TV. I also read that there are no plans to add this service.

I'm nervous that I got suckered into a sales pitch and will continue to find more and more things that I will not like about Direct TV.

Comments?

Correct on the Downloading, depending on your connection, Standard Def downloads at a good pace, and there is not much waiting. HD though could take a bit of time.

Also, yes there is no WWE/24 7. I have not heard any plans to add it.

Please help me out.

Comments?

It all depends on your internet bandwidth. If it's high, you should be able to watch SD instantly. For HD I need to let it start d/l for a bit then can start watching. IMHO either staellite provider, Fios, hell anything is better than cable.

Does anybody know why they won't add WWE 24/7? Is it a contract issue, or a compatibility issue? Is it a service that Direct TV can't provide?

Also, I plan on keeping Comcast as my internet provider since they are apparently the best provider in the area. How does Comcast high speed internet work with this "on demand", or should I say "on demand downloadable content"?

Does anybody know why they won't add WWE 24/7? Is it a contract issue, or a compatibility issue? Is it a service that Direct TV can't provide?

Also, I plan on keeping Comcast as my internet provider since they are apparently the best provider in the area. How does Comcast high speed internet work with this "on demand", or should I say "on demand downloadable content"?
A better question may be why does WWE 24/7 exist to begin with? ;) Just kiddin', to each his own, I guess.
Stating the obvious here but to get VOD to work you need the Ethernet cable from your router plugged into the receiver; that's how it works. Speed wise you tell us how your internet usually works.

What most people don't realize is that Comcast uses IP for On Demand just as DTV uses your internet (IP) for On Demand. The only real difference is that Comcast's internet infrastructure is a facade with their On Demand. DTV will be limited to your DL speeds through your provider. Comcast uses what's available through the network your receiver is connect to. This makes the "on demand" experience more "on demand" compared to DTV. For most people, they might have to wait a few mins for their show to buffer. I really haven't used the OD feature that much through DTV, but I haven't noticed much of a wait for it to buffer... though I am on a partial T3 15Mbps connection.

I really haven't used the OD feature that much through DTV...

On The 101; The Trailer Park Boys, que them up now. :up

What I have found is, I don't surf the VOD like regular channel surfing. I go in and look around, que one up, keep looking around, que some more up, then my first one is ready to watch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts