gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
dla-x55-angle-low-lg.jpg

dla-x55-rear-lg.jpg

MSRP: $5,000 USD

Living with the X55 for a few weeks, I come off overall highly impressed with the unit. If you value contrast above everything else, and the ISF finds it to be the single mode important element of an image, then the JVC is untouchable. It also has a default mode that is very, very accurate and can be made almost perfect with calibration. The lens memory and setup options make it a very flexible projector to install, and from a usability standpoint it is top-notch. The real proof is how often I just got lost watching the thing and marveling at the images that it can produce on my screen.

Despite all of this good, it also has a couple of issues that make it a projector I can't universally recommend. After calibration on my 96", 1.3 gain screen, I got just 18 fL of light on the screen. This is slightly over the correct amount, but projector bulbs age, and with only 18 fL at the start it gives me nowhere to go from there. It also makes it so that if I use Lens Memory to fill the 2.40 screen, I'm dropping well below that 18 fL level. Couple this with the fact that the high lamp mode is very loud to use, and I have trouble recommending it with very large screen unless you are running a high-power (2.0+ gain) material.

Link

Never too late for me. As far as display devices are concerned, Im done buying beginning of life cycle, gonna be end of life cycle. Save lots of dough and it keeps you from buying a turd with unexpected problems.

Never too late for me. As far as display devices are concerned, Im done buying beginning of life cycle, gonna be end of life cycle. Save lots of dough and it keeps you from buying a turd with unexpected problems.

JVC has a pretty solid reputation in the projector line. They have just introduced new year models in September at CEDIA every year. I hope that next year they will get a real 4k.

Yeah, so did Panasonic until the whole plasma black level rising thing started ;)

Just saying, I prefer to buy late cycle on displays because of two past experiences that could have been avoided had I waited until late. My last two late cycle plasmas were bought in March, when the new ones were just coming out. Worked out well, I knew the issues going in due to intense scrutiny and I did not end up disappointed. Cheaper stuff like Blu-ray players I dont much sweat because I can either sell them, or just send them back to Amazon.

They had a serious problem with bulbs/light starting with the line a few years ago and last year. Not sure if it was fixed with this line. I haven't kept up since I got so ticked. It sounds like from the review that there is still some sort of issue with light if he is only getting 18Fl calibrated. After about 500 hours the bulb is garbage. I've gone through 4 bulbs and have a spare on hand at all times. New it looks perfect.

S~

Teach.

The JVC you have supposedly was fixed with a flapper.003 number.
Many have said this did fix the dimness and longevity of the lamps.
The review on this model in this thread is correct as far as ftl go but it is not because of the lamps but this model was not as bright as some other JVC projectors.
JVC used another lamp manufacturer on the current projectors. From all reports there is no dimming premature on these lamps.
JVC was so confident in these lamps they even offered a 1000hr. or 1 year warranty on the lamp.

Gone through one 3, have one in now and a backup. Many still had issues with the third gen bulb. I'm just kind of sour on them after this. It was not a pleasant experience dealing with them even after being a dealer. We'll see. I'll be considering upgrading in a year or so. We'll see if they make it back on my list.

S~

I have a JVC RS2, it is about 5 years old now, I am on the third bulb. Although really the first 2 bulbs still work, they just got 1500 hours on them and it wants a replacement. I still have them in case the current bulb blows up or something. I really want to update the RS2 at some point. I am waiting on 4k to work its way to the JVC line. Then I will probably buy a new one. My other projector (not a jvc) is still on its first bulb...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)