Kbox receiver used for real fta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satellitedxer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
The woodlands,Texas
Hello guys, I am giving a small review for a Kbox prodigy receiver.

I got a really good deal on this as I was looking for something I can record the feeds I come across on a drive to load onto my cpu, so I picked a kbox, got it for $100 new!

I set it up with my 1.2 meter Fortec Star with invacom and dg 380 motor and have to say I am very impressed!

To start the receiver has the best pics I have ever seen, even better than the coolsats have!

The receiver then has a nice blind scan, it lets you either choose what symbol rate speed you want, I choose detail so it finds every feed out there and doesnt bypass any, The avg whole scan takes 12 mins but it scans in tons I have never seen scanned in before, so it is worth the wait for me.

The pvr is really nice, it is very speedy on channel changes, and it drives the motor perfectly every time!

I know this is known as a hacker receiver, but it is a great fta receiver too! To be honest with you I am surprised how cheap they go far considering they are being sold to hackers so much, The other hack boxes are nothing near this one as far as regular fta goes! Heck the nfusion has no blind scan, the sonicview has a horrible scan and misses half the tp's, ect.

For anyone who wants a good box to record on this is it! I see price ranges from $100-$130 everywhere!

Btw they are coming out with a hd box in a week or so that is supposed to do 4:2:2 real hd and sd and also have even a better blind scan than this one! So it looks like finally we will get a box to do both real hd and blind scan! The price is supposed to only be in the $350 range too!

two good SD receivers:

The Coolsat 5000 or 6000 has good blind scan, and many other decent features.
In this post-hack world, it's sold for $30 delivered (or less) and is certainly worth 40..50$.

For a PVR with good blind scan, we have a review of the Visionsat IV-200.
It was down to $80 several years ago, and should be found for under $50 today.

Other features to look for, are:
- proper motor control
- support for all the diseqc switch modes
Both the above are quite decent.

All those IKS boxes should be getting cheap, dishnetwork has been pounding them lately, arresting server-operators. Those who thought they were smart have been outfoxed lol.

Btw they are coming out with a hd box in a week or so that is supposed to do 4:2:2 real hd and sd and also have even a better blind scan than this one! So it looks like finally we will get a box to do both real hd and blind scan! The price is supposed to only be in the $350 range too!

The AZbox Premium Plus is out in Germany, but for some reason I've been unable to find a decent review of it so far. I'll have to look into this alleged new Kbox. I've never paid any attention to them since they seem to be aimed at the pirate market.

The K-Box editor works for channel lists on the Visionsat, which makes me wonder if this is yet another Visionsat clone/derivative box...

Sounds like a useful info for a dual purpose STB fans. K-box brand is seldom mentioned on this site anyway, so its good to see more choices presented to end user. I'd look at investing in an HD box though, and some PC Sat Cards look like a much cheaper and at times more advanced alternative for NA FTA.

naming names:

The K-Box editor works for channel lists on the Visionsat, which makes me wonder if this is yet another Visionsat clone/derivative box...
A couple of years ago, I thought the original K-box was a spin-off of the Visionsat IV-200.
Probably slightly different boot code, just enough to prevent cross-loading of firmware.
Then, I understood they got their own hardware platform, which was not the Visionsat board.

Since the K-boxes were designed, geared, sold, and priced for the hack market, I really never kept track.
But, given their history, I'd no more invest in the brand than the traditional leader in hack-boxes, Viewsat.
Nor the currently operating: CNX, iLink, SonicView, nor SonySat.

possibly...If I remember right it kept screwing up my channel list on the Visionsat

but I dont have that receiver anymore so I cant try it

Coolsat 6100, Visionsat IV-100, Kbox K1

All based on the same motherboard, same firmware developers, different boot loaders (actually, the first K1 receivers were rebadged 6100's).

Last edited:
If the K2 or Panther or whatever it ends up being called does all it's supposed to, it sounds like a winner. I hope that the recent IKS shutdowns don't dissuade them from getting it to market, but if it's going to have S2, 4:2:2 and blind scan then maybe they're finally realizing that there's money to be made from people other than pirates.

FTA and Local Internet Connection.

I purchased a KBOX because of its ability to connect to the Internet through a Hub. I am using mine as a standalone FTA receiver. It is a big improvement over my Captain 7100 USB both in picture quality and signal reception with the same Globecast dish.

The following article from Tele Satellite magazine is a good example of the future of satellite receivers.

"AZBOX's software development team is extremely focused on integrating Web_TV in the AZBOX receivers,"Internet TV is on the way!"

From Tele Satellite Global Digital TV Magazine 12/01/2010
Test Report NanoXX 9800HD
HDTV Satellite Receiver Loaded with Features.

"Slowly but surely, more manufacturers are including Ethernet connections on their receivers. Nanoxx is no exception.
Thans to the ability to link to a local network or the Internet, the possibilities are endless; receivers without a LAN connection can only dream of what it would be like.

Once the receiver is connected to the home network, it becomes possible to access the hard drive connected to the 9800HD from the PC via FTP. This makes it easy to further process recordings on your PC.

The receiver itself profits from the Internet connection: a connnection with the Nanoxx FTP server can be made directly from the receiver.
There you will find current software as well as channel lists. And best of all, Nanoxx can expand this by offering more channel lists and other useful features that the user can upload to the receiver with the simple push of a button.

Software updates have never been this simple! The desired image data is marked and downloaded from the Internet directly to the receiver's menu with the push of the OK button.

The days of using USB sticks or null modem cables to link to a PC are over, even though the 9800HD still offers these methods.
An especially interesting feature and typical Nanoxx is the ability to stream recordings between two different devices on the same network.

Who hasn't experienced this before: you're laying comfortably in bed and want to finish watching the documentary you had recorded a few days ago in your living room.

With most receivers that meant you had to get up and go back to the living room to finish watching it. Not true with the Nanoxx!
It can create a link with the receiver in the living room, access the data directly from there and then playback the recording on the bedroom receiver. An absolutely excellent feature."

Surely, this forum could contribute to the evolution of LAN connections with receivers without the stigma of hacker misinformation. There are definitely serious and legal ways to experiment with this new technology. Let's take the lead!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)