Keep it cool to avoid freezing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techpuppy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
I'll pass this along for what's it worth since I may very well be the only person who uses a DVB Express receiver.

Despite several attempts at fine tuning my dish for G10R I have found that a couple of times a week almost every channel was unwatchable due to picture freezing, fragmenting, pixelization etc. In addition the clock would reset and the individual channel volumes would return to default. Occasionally using the master power switch in the back and turning off the receiver for about 15 seconds or so would restore the reception, sometimes not. And once in a while everything would work fine right up to the point where the hero on the TV show would say, "And the murderer is..." and then the picture/sound would be lost. I took into account my weather and that in Little Rock, but there was no correlation.

On a whim last week I removed the cover to the receiver, wired a 12 volt wall type power supply to a computer power supply cooling fan and hot glued it in the case so the air was blowing over the circuit board. No more problems!!!! I haven't replaced the cover as the receiver is the top slot on an equipment rack and the cover doesn't have much in the way of vent holes anyway.

I was suspicious about the possibility of a heat problem before but the top of the receiver was never more than just slightly warm to the touch. In fact my Dish Network receiver gets much warmer.

As a disclaimer I should mention that opening the cover of the receiver does expose line voltage contacts so you shouldn't do this if you are not familiar with some basic electrical safety practices, have children (or adults) who might reach inside, etc. I will probably cut new vents in the receiver cover and eventually replace it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts