Kmart Dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
I've noticed big dishes on a lot of closed down Kmart buildings in the area. One of the buildings is for sale and I was thinking about calling and asking for the dish. Are they any good and what did they use them for?

If they are like the ones around here they make good Ku dishes. I've seen some of those on post office buildings also. They are referred to as offset or prime star dishes. As for use, I'd say it had something to do with inventory or credit card charges and stuff like that.

Most likely a 6 foot offset. Keep us informed. :)

Doesn't look like a prodelin. It looks like a KU LNB. IMG_3464.JPGIMG_3465.JPG

If you zoom in on the pictures there is a piece of coax tied off, looks like it might have been a VSAT at one time. No luck at finding the owner. Doing some research I found that Kmart uses POP Radio (Point of Purchase Radio) which I think is part of Muzak. Looking at this dish on dish pointer it looks to be aimed at 119 which I heard Muzak uses. There is a Kmart that is still open with this same dish. If I knew it wasn't being used for store radio I would ask the manager about it.

Here locally, SC, Advanced Auto Parts has been swapping their "Dish" from the roof...though I can't get any of the Managers to give 'em up. Larger, offset style

I think they are on all the Kmarts. I did a church that used to be a Kmart and they had the same dish.

Looks like a VSAT setup for credit card terminals. Doubt it's being used as everything these days is either on T1 or fiber.

Could be Muzak, but nobody would invest in that over kill setup just to listen to music. Worse case scenario I would see a 24 or 30 Dish being used for 119

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts