KTI polar mount

Well, all I can tell you is that I've installed many C-band dishes since 1984, NONE of them have strainless steel bolts, I'm unaware of any manufacturers that used stainless, AND galvanized bolts are all doing just fine.

Reactions: mr3p
Well, all I can tell you is that I've installed many C-band dishes since 1984, NONE of them have strainless steel bolts, I'm unaware of any manufacturers that used stainless, AND galvanized bolts are all doing just fine.

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Galvanized for the new spade bolt and nut it will be. :) Regarding the square head set screws, I was going to use non-square head galvanized bolt replacements however found inexpensive square head case hardened steel and stainless square head set screws, would the case hardened steel or stainless be preferable?

Last edited:
Spade bolt - always wondered what that elevation bolt was actually called. Now I can find one if I need to. Thanks for posting the name! :)

I wish I could report back that sourcing a suitable sized spade bolt replacement was easy however most mass produced today are too short for our needs.

Reactions: FTA4PA
NONE of them have strainless steel bolts, I'm unaware of any manufacturers that used stainless
I have one "Hello from 80th, made in USA" antenna, it has all bolts&nuts made of INOX, including 3/4" threaded elevation bolt. I must say, that in last 30+ years nothing happened to them. Brass nuts are used on this elevation bolt. IMG_20200514_170708 (Large).jpg

Reactions: mr3p
I wish I could report back that sourcing a suitable sized spade bolt replacement was easy however most mass produced today are too short for our needs.
Yes, I just looked and could only find short ones. Closest I came was Bolt Depot who has eye bolts with rod sizes from 1/4 inch to 2 inches and a huge selection of lengths. Only issue with that is the size of the eye is much larger than needed so some type of bushing would probably need to be used to make up the difference. Might be an option but welding something onto a threaded rod is likely easier though.

Possibility of adding to spade bolt, coupling nut and suitable all thread rod.
McMaster-Carr
Coupling nut

McMaster-Carr
All thread

McMaster-Carr

Spade bolts, Zinc and others available

Edited 12:30 PM

Last edited:
welding something onto a threaded rod is likely easier though.
Exactly! And not only easier, but also cheaper. On the attached picture Az/El mount I've made for 1.2m CM antenna. 2 M10 eye-bolts (whatever they are called) responsible for adjusting the elevation. All INOX, of course :) IMG_20200514_184423 (Large).jpg

Possibility of adding to spade bolt, coupling nut and suitable all thread rod.
McMaster-Carr
Coupling nut

McMaster-Carr
All thread

McMaster-Carr

Spade bolts, Zinc and others available

Edited 12:30 PM

Agree. Cutting off the spade from an existing bolt and welding it to a threaded rod would seem like a good option if correct size spade is available.

Last edited:
RimaNTSS - are your hex head set screws locking the mount to the pole galvanized, steel, or stainless?

mr3p do you mean this one? IMG_20200514_211809 (Large).jpg Bolt is M10 A2 stainless, nut was galvanized but zinc was removed from welding spots.
Speaking about eye-bolts.... found more pictures of them and the way I use them.

Attachments

• IMG_20180911_220949.jpg
    IMG_20180911_220949.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20190611_120057.jpg
    IMG_20190611_120057.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20190617_222708.jpg
    IMG_20190617_222708.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20190630_223820.jpg
    IMG_20190630_223820.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20190820_170025.jpg
    IMG_20190820_170025.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20190901_002335.jpg
    IMG_20190901_002335.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20191011_152805.jpg
    IMG_20191011_152805.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 147
Is A2 stainless equivalent to 18-8? That's a nice collection of bolts :)

This is not a collection, I make them when there is a need :)
Difference between 18/8-304-316 here I mostly use 304 (A2), it is cheaper but good enough for my needs.

Impressive. Do you fabricate the spade with hole and weld to threaded rod or do you have access to a press which flattens the end of the rod?

Are you using 10mm thick 25mm wide A2 stock to create the spade end with the hole?

Nothing ever happens overnight but made a little progress today. Sprayed down the polar mount in rust removal gel last night and its most clean although I'm going to give it a complete wash down hopefully tomorrow. I'm guessing it was originally powder coated black but Rustoleum spray paint will have to do. Had planned on using high heat black but my options were flat or glossy and the original looks like semi-gloss so I guess I'll go with the combo primer+paint in semi-gloss black. I'd like to spray the dish too but finding a nearby area large enough where I don't have to worry about overspray isn't trivial and even though its wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd rather not disassemble the dish sections.

2.jpg
4.jpg

Reactions: JFOK and FTA4PA
I ended up disassembling the whole mount as I wanted to replace most of the hardware and its easier to clean and prep everthing before respraying with paint. I have a question regarding remounting on pole. There is 3/4" bolt which attaches the mount to the component that sits on the pole. (see red arrow) Am I correct that when place on top of the pole the bolt should not be in contact with the pole or should the bolt "sit" directly on top of the pole? See picture
mount copy.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)