KU LNB Cover Removal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nicely done.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I turned it on tonight when the room was darker and I'm happy with the results. The light illuminated on the wall around the dish.

I turned it on tonight when the room was darker and I'm happy with the results. The light illuminated on the wall around the dish.
So, you just needed a donut-shaped lighted area on the wall behind the dish? My apologies if I did not grasp the purpose of your idea.Cheers, polgyver

Perhaps I didn't properly describe my project intentions and mislead people to believe that I wanted the light to reflect off the dish surface, so please let me begin again...

A few years ago I started to build a home theater in our basement since my family enjoys watching movies. Most home theaters have a "theme" and since I'm into satellite communications I thought about installing one or two old DirecTV dishes I had lying around in the garage onto the walls of the home theater. They would be a good conversation piece and add to the décor of the theater. Plus some people might think that they are actually receiving a signal. To take this idea a step further I thought about adding a light within the LNB that would shine onto the dish like how lights are pointed at pictures and movie posters. The dishes would be painted black not to reflect light, but to match the color décor of the theater (black and maroon). These dishes will be installed directly above the rear seats in the theater and turned on along with the step lights mounted within the riser for when viewers wanted indirect lighting that would not disturb the movie when they want to leave for a snack or to go to the bathroom. Having the dishes illuminate a light around the dish as well as the LNB itself accomplishes this goal.

I understand about the heat concern and will probably drill a hole within the plastic cap to allow the heat from the bulb to escape.

The first picture (no flash) is what the area of the dish looks like when the theater lights are off. As you can see complete darkness. The second and third pictures (no flash) are of the dish area behind the dish away from the theater screen in order to not disturb the movie, but enable viewers to have some indirect lighting to see when they enter or exit the theater. The light actually looks brighter than in the pictures. However, I'm going to experiment using higher watt bulbs until I get the light desired. I found 60w bulbs as seen in the fourth picture.

Attachments

• 100_5808.JPG
    100_5808.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_5811.JPG
    100_5811.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_5812.JPG
    100_5812.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 68423.jpg
    68423.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 120
variations on the theme

I hadn't fully understood the idea, either.

If the lighting level is too low, may I suggest maroon for the dish face instead of bigger bulbs?

Or, what about a lamp behind the dish? Small one should be fine. :)

I also favor frosted over clear, too.

edit: last thought...
if you make the fixture too bright, a dimmer will solve that since you're using incandescent lamps.

Last edited:
Lol popcorn, I think I would be in the divorce line if i mounted a dish inside. Nice project!!!

I like it! Looks good. Gives me all kinds of ideas myself. I've been thinking outside C-Band dish and LED ropes. Imagine this, programing the LEDs to emulate the "Death Star Ray" effect from Star Wars. Mount a speaker for the audio and every twelve year old for miles will be at you house LOL.

When my dad was alive he always reused items around the house and turned them into something else. We now live in a throw away society and many young people no longer work on projects such as this. Take away my daughter's iPod and all of a sudden she is "bored" with nothing to do. When I was her age I was working on electronic projects, silk screening t-shirts, building computers, woodworking, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts