KU LNB on a smaller dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kevin1017

Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Please be tolerant of this seemingly repetitive question, but here goes.
I am new to this hobby, and am wondering if I put a linear LNB on a 18" X 22" Directv dish I salavaged will it get decent signal in Phoenix, AZ. from Galaxy-18 @ 123 W.
I have read so many conflicting answers on this subject I want to scream. Iceberg, you seem like you have a good bit of experience with this. Am I wasting my time with this idea?

You may get some of the stronger transponders, dish is a bit small. And with the new satellite at 125 firing up lately, some of us watching 123 have been noticing some interference from it.(on bigger dishes than yorus).
It would be an interesting experiment-I've been curious to try putting a linear on a dishpro dish, which I think is about 20", just for the fun of it. I have done it before, and got some watchable signals on G25, and AMC1.

You will probably get interferance from 125. I have used a starchoice 60E dish (about the same size as the DTV dish) in the past and it would work although with a weak signal. Now that 125 is fired up there is interferance on 11800 and those channels no longer come in, due to the fact that the dish is not 2 degree compliant. It may work on other linear sats as long as the sat next door does not have somthing on the same frequency.

If you want to test go ahead and try as you may get something but for reliable signals get at least a 30 or 33" dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)