KU V-SAT Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
I don't have a picture of it ... but down at the corner gas station there's a Ku V-SAT dish just sitting on the ground beside the station. It has one of those mounts on the bottom of it that you stack bricks in. It's fiberglass, a little dirty, but appears to be in good shape. It's the rectangular type, wide on the sides but much less top and bottom. Would one of those make a good FTA dish? What are they worth ... maybe I could bend their arm and get it for free :biggrin

The worst they can say is no. That answer has never hurt my feelings. I think those dishes could be awesome for a multi feed setup if you are patient.

I've observed these wide rectangular dishes on top of businesses. They are no where near round, definitely very wide.

What types of services are these dishes usually used for? Seems like there would be an especially narrow margin in aiming these.

Actually, the shape of the reflector has minimal effect on the ease of aiming. It is the total surface area and efficiency of the reflector that primarily determines the beam width. The horizontal shape will provide slightly increased attenuation from adjacent satellite signals, but at the expense of reduced rejection earth noise.

These units make excellent fixed FTA dishes!

If it's 'x' meters wide, it will exhibit adjacent rejection comparable to a 'normal' shaped dish that's the same width.
The gain is closely determined by the total surface area IF it's equipped with the proper feed. (Feed geometry 'mimics' the dish shape)
If replaced with a 'normal' offset dish LNBF the gain will be comparable to a 'normal' offset dish that has the same height.
And adjacent rejection is the same as a normal dish with = height. Which is much less. I tried with an 83e. FTA LNBF- lousy performance. With the proper feed- excellent performance.

Thanks for your comments. For whatever reason, they took the rectangular dish down and replaced it with what looks like a 1.2M round fiberglass dish. I think they use those dishes for their point of sale equipment. Next time I go over there I'll take a picture of it. I'm gonna ask them if they'd like to part with it. It still has the LNB/Feed Horn on it ... it's allot larger than an LNBF. I like the large frame it has on it for stacking up bricks. You could put it anywhere without making holes. It's been sittin' on the ground forever. As matter of fact ... I'm gonna drive down there right now and ask about it :biggrin2

Reactions: FaT Air
Does it look something like this? This one was behind a former bank/Blockbuster/abandoned building for years. I never did get a response from the owner, so it's still hanging around, slowly rusting away. The LNB on it is Ku band, the reflector around 2 ft x 4 ft.

BB.jpeg BB1.jpeg BB2.jpeg BB4.JPG

Now I'm anxious to hear what he says they said to him.

Ok ... I made a quick run down the street. The place that has the dish is a Circle K. I know the guy that works there. I ask him about the dish but he didn't know anything about it. He said, "They don't pay me enough to think" :biggrin. I left my card and he said he'd give it to the Owner. And yes KITTY ... it looks just like the pictures you sent. I took a closer look at it this time and it said, "Hughes Personal Earth Station" on it. So, it must have been Satellite Internet at one time. I've attached a picture that I took. If they call me back, I'll let you'all know what they said.

Attachments

• 20151115_141756.jpg
    20151115_141756.jpg
    881.3 KB · Views: 153
My boss from my last job owns a service station and has one of those on top of the building not being used. They have switched their POS systems to IP instead of satellite. Last week I stopped in to chat and he offered it to me. Wasn't sure it would be anything special. ;)

Can't locate the specs right now, but as I recall they are equivalent to an 80cm. Good surface accuracy as it is RX/TX compliant. As FatAir points out, with the exaggerated horizontal plane, use the OEM feedhorn or it will over-illuminate the vertical axis and have very poor performance..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)